so i have an esp ec401 in black and i was wondering if it was possible to get that nice used beat up look like the ec256avb?
grind it and scratch it against surfaces? play it and get a little reckless with the spinning?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Smash it. It'll look awesome when it's in two or more pieces instead of one..

You know how numbers go.

2 > 1. MORE IS BETTER!

1> .5 +.5

In terms of guitar land.
how about playing and gigging with it for 5 - 10 years and earning the aged look?
ive seen a lot of relic attempts. almost all of them look really bad.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Smash it. It'll look awesome when it's in two or more pieces instead of one..

You know how numbers go.

2 > 1. MORE IS BETTER!

This sounds pretty legit, I think you should go for it.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by LPGeek
how about playing and gigging with it for 5 - 10 years and earning the aged look?

the only way to age a guitar is by againg it, any oher way and ull be crossing a fine line to either making ur guitar look stupid or breaking it, now u can get some professionals to do it well, like on the James hetfield iron cross or on the yngwie strat, but those are both ridiculously expensive guitars, have any guesses y?
Eh.
strap sand paper to your forearm and use quarters instead of picks. take your strings off and and play really hard "air" style guitar to your favorite punk/metal albums

this should not be taken as serious advice
no sir away a papaya war is on
Just play it hard.

My explorer has aged naturally over the last 8 years and it looks ok, I would prefer it still looked mint,

i think if you trash your LTD you woill be pretty pissed afterwards.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
This:
Quote by LPGeek

And this:
Quote by jj1565
ive seen a lot of relic attempts. almost all of them look really bad.

And this:
Quote by Tom 1.0
Just play it hard.

My explorer has aged naturally over the last 8 years and it looks ok, I would prefer it still looked mint,

i think if you trash your LTD you woill be pretty pissed afterwards.

Why do you want to make it look old and used? So you can try to make people believe you've been playing for a bunch of years, or to make it look "vintage"?
Either way, it's ridiculous.

Just play normally and do the usual maintenance.
Time will do the rest for you.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Basically, the thing is this - Most "serious" guitarists will be strongly opposed to the idea of relicing, due to it's moral incorrectness. Relicing your guitar is essentially the same as living a lie. The post above ^ summed it up really well.

Unless you're at least 30 years old, and have the skills of someone who's been playing 10-20 years, if you bust out a reliced guitar, most mature people will just laugh at you.

That being said, if you want to do it just for the look of it, then go ahead - though you could have just bought a pre-reliced guitar to begin with, such as the EC-256.

It's my opinion that you'll feel a lot better as a person if your guitar becomes dinged up due to age and use though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sand paper, a file or sorts, probably some rocks..

I slightly filed and sanded the edges of my Dean awhile back. It looks pretty natural, considering the paint was already coming off.