I've been trying to save up some cash for a good amp but i've been having trouble doing so because i just graduated from school and am still working part time while looking for a job in my field. Between car repairs and bills i haven't been able to hold on to cash for my life and it doesn't look i'll have any real cash for at least a few months. So i'm looking for a small amp around 200 max 250, that will hold me over for awhile. I need something with a good dirty channel, headphone jack, and preferable Hi, low, and Mid EQ. Don't really care if it's tube, S.S. or hybrid, i just need something that is suitable for getting a more metal sound. I NEED a "strong" OD/Dist. channel, without that the amp is useless as far as im concerned, i rarely play on clean channel. I've seen many amps that seem suitable but was looking for others inputs.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Last edited by wagonmancer at May 24, 2010,
Here come the Vyper guys. Giddyup!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey Vyper? Or Roland Cube? I mean, they're modeling amps but hell they pull out damn good distortions if need be. The Roland have two decent leads for metal: "Metal" (Obviously) and "R-fier". They can get pretty heavy, especially the latter. 3-band EQ, like you need as well.

If you're willing to go used, hit up CraigsList.
Speaker size matter much? Any idea if both sound good at lower volumes.

-The Great George Carlin
SS amps sound better at low volumes, anyway.. They tend to sound pretty "Blah" at high volumes, because they're solid state.. If you know what I mean..

Well, the Cube has this thing called a "Power Squeezer" it lowers the output from 30 watts to 2 watts (On Roland Cube 30x, of course..) so it can be pretty quiet and maintain "good" sound. You can always play with headphones of course, if need be.. I always do.
Ya i have a pair of nice sony studio monitors i generally play through.

-The Great George Carlin
Under the list of the Top 10 Metal Amps Under 200....

a Fender VibroChamp XD...wat.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R