I got really heavily into the oscil stuff, as did a number of people a few years ago - I'd say the main benefit is in being aware of what you're doing rather than following the picking style verbatim, as the crooked wrist and unusual grip will not suit most players.

Since reading that article a few years ago I tried breaking down all the best picking techniques I could find, and almost all of them required control over all 3 motions, only very rarely did a player stick very closely to one plane of movement, and none of the best did.

That said, bear in mind that Tuck is primarily jazz and I'm primarily rock, our idea of suitable technique may differ due to that. There's no doubt that Tuck is very experienced and knowledgeable, but I think his admiration for Benson blinds him to the viability of other styles.
I agree. I don't think Benson sounds the best either, in terms of his picking.
I do agree with Tuck that oscillatory motion [sarod] is more natural, and i think it sounds more 'legato', but practice anything and it can be achieved any way.
Excuse me, Pebber's "Sarod" motion is absolutely nothing to do with oscill as Andres refers to it. That you could think so means you've severely misunderstood something along the way...
>.>
<.<
Oscillation is the picking motion of moving the wrist circularly, correct? which is what i always took pebber for saying.
Quote by hippieboy444
>.>
<.<
Oscillation is the picking motion of moving the wrist circularly, correct? which is what i always took pebber for saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeyHyIgqvY

Pebber's "sarod" picking is a rotatory motion more than anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by hippieboy444
>.>
<.<

no oscillation is moving the wrist as if you were bouncing a basketball. pebbers sarod is just rotating the forearm, he claims you move the fingers as well (scapel) but when he speeds up that goes out the window and he just rotates the forearm.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
>.>
<.<

Nope, oscilliation... well, read the Andres article more carefully and watch the following vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeyHyIgqvY

Pebber's sarod technique is basically a combination of rotary (the rotating arm) and circle picking (the finger/thumb movement), although I don't see him doing the circle picking when he does it fast.
Quote by Freepower

Pebber's sarod technique is basically a combination of rotary (the rotating arm) and circle picking (the finger/thumb movement), although I don't see him doing the circle picking when he does it fast.

what do you think about sarod? i think it looks a bit pants really, looks like you have little control over accents and iv seen no evidence that its worth exploring. even buckethead (pebbers pupil) uses a more convential picking motion similar to gilberto.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I think it basically looks like another form of spasmodic tremolo picking. Instead of locking the elbow it's just turning - I've not seen anyone "sarod picking" anything complex or accented. Even Pebber switches between "sarod" and "alternate" picking, which seems fishy to me.
yeah thats exactly what i thought, doesnt seem to have any advantages to it. i posted to check out shawn lane picking on one of his vids and was shocked when people starting telling me sarod was better?? with the only evidence offered being john mclaughlin who as far as i can tell doesnt use sarod lol
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I don't think that switching to any other kind of picking style is worth it to be honest. Unless you're experienced with more traditional techniques and the new (sarod, oscillation, etc.) techniques are instantly more comfortable, it'll probably be more troublesome than beneficial. I'd much rather put my practice time into feeling and controlling my accents (in all different rhythms) and learning how to actually play musically.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
I've read and re read Tuck's article over a few years. I've studied Benson video clips etc with the article in mind.
Conclusion for me is that the article is pretty much undecipherable and the positions (seemingly) endorsed within it are ergonomically unsound and may result in tension and damage to the R-H wrist.
I know I'm not alone in my difficulty in interpreting the article. Perhaps he ought to consider rewriting it.
Last edited by R.Christie at May 25, 2010,