Hey guys,

So I'm about to dive into retubing my Peavey XXX 120W after just repainting the tacky ass mudflap girl faceplate. I was wondering if someone could help me out with two questions before I begin...

1)What positions are v1,v2,v3,v4 on a XXX? I'm assuming the one closest to the input jack is v1, but then 3 of them are in a line and one is next to the power tubes, so are the ones in a line from the input jack v1,v2,v3, and then the PI (v4) is the one right next to the power tubes?

2)I'm looking in the back of my amp, and the preamp sockets either have nothing in them or the tubes are encased by a little metal sheath... I'll post pics in a minute if I have to but if someone can tell me if I'm just dumb, that'd be great.

Thanks, will update with pics when all done
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
so I figured out how to get all the new tubes in. I have a short bias probe plugged into the first tube socket that says it's for 6L6's and have it plugged into a multimeter, but I'm only getting a plate voltage reading of 38 millivolts. The built-in bias test nodes built into the amp head read a voltage of 72 volts. I know neither of these can be right, but can someone help me figure out what the **** is going on?
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
HAHA, wow, so my short bias probe I bought had a 1mv/ma output such that a reading of 38 millivolts means 38 mA of current was going to the tubes. Awesome. Anyway, done and done, I'll put pics up soon.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Quote by MadMudgeN
so I figured out how to get all the new tubes in. I have a short bias probe plugged into the first tube socket that says it's for 6L6's and have it plugged into a multimeter, but I'm only getting a plate voltage reading of 38 millivolts. The built-in bias test nodes built into the amp head read a voltage of 72 volts. I know neither of these can be right, but can someone help me figure out what the **** is going on?

Never use the built in test points on a Peavey. They're very inaccurate, as you may have noticed already.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.