ok so is there a better way to figure out if a pedal is true bypass? i mean the manual isnt always available.
are there specific brands that are true bypass? or does it just depend on the pedal.
i've heard that MXR and electro-harmonix pedals are but i dont know if that means all of them are or what so. just lookin for some answers.

thanks!
Depends on the pedal. A lot of the newer EHX pedals are and most (maybe even all) MXR pedals are not. You just have to know.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
If you want to test it, plug the pedal in, take out the battery/adapter/whatever you use to power it. If its true bypass you'll still hear the bypassed signal, if not, its a buffered bypass (which isnt necessarily a bad thing)
Quote by littlephil
I stand corrected. It means it has a mechanical switch. Although, not many pedals with mechanical switches would have buffered bypasses, at least that I know of.

very true - i don't know of any off the top of my head.

for the longest time I thought the battery thing was the test though, and it took someone pointing that out to me.

TB is overrated though. a good buffered is just fine. and too many true bypass pedals makes you have to buy a separate buffer anyways lol

I think Crybabys use mechanical switching, they're the only ones I can think of.
And IMO;
Good buffered > True > bad buffered bypass
i still like true bypass. and a good, active circuit around my guitar maybe... preamp in my guitar, or a buffer on the guitar strap?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
like the miller effect in input capacitance of a vacuum tube.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by josephde

+1

that link is good.

basically the only way to know for sure is to check the circuit (or get someone else to do it for you). 3pdt is probably a clue it probably is (as they're expensive), but I'm guessing it's still not a sure thing if a company really wants to gip you.

EDIT: you can have that half-assed bypass on mechanical switch pedals. plenty are guilty, if that stinkfoot link is to be believed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 25, 2010,