Page 1 of 2
what are the worst expensive pups?

to me they are the EMG HZ's..horrible clean tone...the ibanez v7 and v8 are better(much)

only my opinion,so dont go flaming me..what do you guys think?
What might sound like crap to you might be somebody else's dream sound. It's all preference.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
What might sound like crap to you might be somebody else's dream sound. It's all preference.

yeah,thats why i'm asking your preference..
Quote by cdr_salamander

No... the EMG HZ is truly one of the worst pups ever made... but normal active EMGs are ossim
Quote by Guitar Sushi
No... the EMG HZ is truly one of the worst pups ever made... but normal active EMGs are ossim

Is that why Alexi plays with them and has one of the most popular sigs right now?
Quote by Guitar Sushi

I have some in my les paul and unless you compare them head to head with the active emg's, i really doubt you will notice a significant difference
Quote by Guitar Sushi

No they're not. I have an H4/H2-N combo right now, and I love it. H4 for metal, H2 for blues and solos and cleans. It does all of them well enough to justify spending money on them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you have to take what kind of amp you are using into the factor when you are judging EMG-HZ. and yes they do sound like crap on a 15w practice amp but different on tube amp.

And for $69 per pu I dont think it's over priced.
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Last edited by doodie at May 25, 2010,
I don't get the hype about Bare Knuckle Pickups. For the price, meh I dunno they don't sound that great to me from the clips I've heard or the YT videos I've seen. Maybe I need to try them myself to get a better understanding who knows but charging 99 Pounds for the VHII and its not even a custom shop wind is a tough sell for me when you can have MJ over at Seymour Duncan Custom Shop wind you a '78 model for $160 and have it exactly to your liking (pole spacing, wax potted or not, bobbin color, 2 or 4 conductor wire etc)
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i think the EMG's kick ass, but when it comes to try and play a STP song its impossible, but my amp is pretty shit
Quote by thamason69
i think the EMG's kick ass, but when it comes to try and play a STP song its impossible, but my amp is pretty shit

stone temple pilots?
EMG-Hz are not that bad. I have them in my Jackson and they sound great through my tube amp; the bridge has a really nice midrange bite that is great for distortion, and the neck is very nice clean. Ive had the regular EMG 81 and 60, and although Id like to eventually upgrade, they sound well enough that it isnt a priority.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Yeah, EMG HZ's are quite good OP, maybe they're not really suitable with your setup. They do wonders on both my gain and clean setups.
Dimarzio X2N was my biggest letdown. They ended up too muddy on my ibanez sz, so I gave it to a friend to install it on his washburn (wr150 or something), worked much better gain-wise.
Quote by DSOTM80
I don't get the hype about Bare Knuckle Pickups. For the price, meh I dunno they don't sound that great to me from the clips I've heard or the YT videos I've seen. Maybe I need to try them myself to get a better understanding who knows but charging 99 Pounds for the VHII and its not even a custom shop wind is a tough sell for me when you can have MJ over at Seymour Duncan Custom Shop wind you a '78 model for $160 and have it exactly to your liking (pole spacing, wax potted or not, bobbin color, 2 or 4 conductor wire etc)

Pretty much anything you want can be done by BKP if you get in contact with them.

Relevant to TS, the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and Invader are just satanically bad
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
The Dimebucker is bad for the money, but I've heard worse ''metal'' pickups. Same goes for the Invader, and pretty much everything DiMarzio makes. The general trend is the more ''metal'' a pickup is, the crappier it is and often the more it costs.

That said, I wouldn't consider Seyour Duncan or DiMarzio to be 'expensive' pickups. For exmaple, the common SD JB model humbucker is about £50, half of what some brands charge per pickup (though speaking of that: the JB is shite too).

I'd agree with Bare Knuckle. I don't get how they can charge £100 a pickup when they really don't sound any better than the most average Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio. I get that yeah, they can make you anything if you want - but that comes at an even higher price. For that money, the SD Custom Shop can make the same pickups too, or you could go to a proper bespoke pickup company like Juicy, Wizard or Swineshead. All will cost less than the custom job from Bare Knuckle and be just as good (if not better - I've never found a Bare Knuckle pickup that can come close to any of my Swinesheads). This is all getting away from the fact that their standard models of pickup are as generic as aftermarket pickups can be and certainly not worth a hundred quid a pop.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ I love my Swinesheads too, but I think they're out of business now?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah i dont like the HZs either. But tbh the only time ive heard them were in a knock off strat. So it couldve been a combination of different things. I wouldnt buy them anyway.

Dimebucker sounds thin and trebely, why the balls would you get a dimebucker when you could get the actual L500 dime used for like half the cost.
Quote by beckyjc
Yeah i dont like the HZs either. But tbh the only time ive heard them were in a knock off strat. So it couldve been a combination of different things. I wouldnt buy them anyway.

Dimebucker sounds thin and trebely, why the balls would you get a dimebucker when you could get the actual L500 dime used for like half the cost.

I heard it in a LTD alexi 600 played through a vypr tube,and didnt like the cleans at all...

To be honest,dimarzios and SDs are considerably good compared to other high gain pups...
HZ's are hard to figure. I have them In my jackson and I like that pretty good. The cleans can be a little off but with just a little distortion they sound great.

That being said I tried a schecter with HZ`s in it at guitar center and it sounded like crap.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
You guys throw the term HZ around like there is only 1 kind.

There are like 4 or so different models of HZ's that are produced.

I personally like the one I have. EMG ALX, which is a HZ-H2 with Ceramic & Steel Magnets. PAF style PU. Does exactly what I want it to.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by srob7001 at May 25, 2010,
Definitely the Invader is number 1.

Also every is on Dimarzio pickups dick, but i'm still yet to hear a dimarzio pickup that I would ever even consider buying.
Quote by Baraga
SD pickups, and maybe an EMG H4 or H2 on the bridge through a tube amp (with distortion)

All SD's?

But I'll let you off because you like Corts

I dont know the prices, but id say Rockmonkey, The clip sound horrible
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I don't know... I use a lot of pickup brands and I like them all for different reasons... I didn't find the BKPs to be worth the price I paid but others do so who knows.
DiMarzio Humbucker from hell, but not because it's bad, but because of the sheer fact that the name does not match the idea (a full sized h umbucker pickup that sounds like a weak old single coil), and makes it kind of funny, in a Metasonix ****ing ****er 15 Watt head kind of way, it's even a crazy red and yellow color. There's something amusing about products like that that makes me want to buy them, just for the challenge of making them sound good.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by cdr_salamander

QFT /thread
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Dimebuckers

they aren't bad but damn they are pretty expensive
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
Last edited by Jato Unit x666x at May 25, 2010,
Quote by srob7001
You guys throw the term HZ around like there is only 1 kind.

There are like 4 or so different models of HZ's that are produced.

I personally like the one I have. EMG ALX, which is a HZ-H2 with Ceramic & Steel Magnets. PAF style PU. Does exactly what I want it to.
a pickup with ceramic magnets will never be a PAF style pickup.
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
DiMarzio Humbucker from hell, but not because it's bad, but because of the sheer fact that the name does not match the idea (a full sized h umbucker pickup that sounds like a weak old single coil), and makes it kind of funny, in a Metasonix ****ing ****er 15 Watt head kind of way, it's even a crazy red and yellow color. There's something amusing about products like that that makes me want to buy them, just for the challenge of making them sound good.

Yeah, I never understood why it was called that. There has to be a story behind it o.O

I just find pickups to be quite fickle sometimes. The best pups I've ever heard are in a cheap Tanglewood Strat which I bought for my girlfriend. They are unbelievable.

As for worst...the worst I ever heard were some EMG HZ's in a Zakk Wylde Buzzsaw guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by al112987
a pickup with ceramic magnets will never be a PAF style pickup.

Whatever......that's what the EMG site says and it sound very similar to a PAF Pro....so.........yea.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Kurapica
^ I love my Swinesheads too, but I think they're out of business now?
They shut down at the end of last year, citing that they were swamped with orders. They weren't able to update order tracking, they couldn't respond to all the e-mails they were getting, etc. They said they would be back up sometime in the new year but of course we're coming up to the end of May now and still no sign of them. I keep meaning to get in contact with them and see what's up. They're the only company so far where I have paid more than £70 for a pickup and not felt cheated. Of course I'm kicking myself for not buying a load of their pickups when they were £40 each instead of £89, but ah well. Just before they went MIA they were charging £99 for any humbucker with wood bobbins, and to me that was still worth it.

Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
DiMarzio Humbucker from hell, but not because it's bad, but because of the sheer fact that the name does not match the idea (a full sized h umbucker pickup that sounds like a weak old single coil)
They explain the idea behind the name on the site. Stick it in the bridge position with a lot of gain (which is of course what most people think of doing with DiMarzio pickups) and it's the most cutting, shrill mess and close to impossible to get a nice tone out of. Hence, it is the humbucker from hell. If it gave a great tone, surely it would be the humbucker from heaven, no?

Although I do think a neck humbucker that was too bass-heavy would fit the name more than a bridge humbucker that was too treble-heavy, but ah well.

Quote by TomG10-7

I dont know the prices, but id say Rockmonkey, The clip sound horrible
Yeah, I know the dude comes to U-G a bit so I refrained from ripping into them before, but now that someone else has mentioned them, sod it. If the clips are any indication, they're really not worth £80 for a covered pickup. It's not that they sound bad exactly, but they don't sound like £80 pickups should. Irongears sound better and cost what, £20-£25 each?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Maybe it would be easier for you to list pickups you don't hate? I'm just curious to what pickups you like.
Quote by MrFlibble
They shut down at the end of last year, citing that they were swamped with orders. They weren't able to update order tracking, they couldn't respond to all the e-mails they were getting, etc. They said they would be back up sometime in the new year but of course we're coming up to the end of May now and still no sign of them. I keep meaning to get in contact with them and see what's up. They're the only company so far where I have paid more than £70 for a pickup and not felt cheated. Of course I'm kicking myself for not buying a load of their pickups when they were £40 each instead of £89, but ah well. Just before they went MIA they were charging £99 for any humbucker with wood bobbins, and to me that was still worth it.

Haha yeah. I paid 55 for my wood covered hums, and 35 for the wood covered single, I believe.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I have several BKPs and I find every one that I purchased to be worth every penny. Tim at BKP will do anything you want for no charge the only thing that costs extra is covers. He'll even distress the covers for no charge. He will over/underwind, 2 or 4 conductor, long or short leg, different pole screws, colored bobbins, etc. Every BKP is built to order so unless you buy from a dealer that has them in stock they truly are custom pickups.

I also think HZ's are horrible and the Dimebucker is as well. I do love a lot of Dimarzios with the Tone Zone/Air Norton set being my favorites.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by MrFlibble

I'd agree with Bare Knuckle. I don't get how they can charge £100 a pickup when they really don't sound any better than the most average Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio. I get that yeah, they can make you anything if you want - but that comes at an even higher price. For that money, the SD Custom Shop can make the same pickups too, or you could go to a proper bespoke pickup company like Juicy, Wizard or Swineshead. All will cost less than the custom job from Bare Knuckle and be just as good (if not better - I've never found a Bare Knuckle pickup that can come close to any of my Swinesheads). This is all getting away from the fact that their standard models of pickup are as generic as aftermarket pickups can be and certainly not worth a hundred quid a pop.

Yup thats what I said as well and besides, Maricela Juarez in the SD Custom Shop is one of the best in the business and has been winding pickups for decades now. You can special order pretty much anything from them and they'll do it. I ordered the '78 model back in summer of '08 and everything from the communication to fast delivery to the quality was first class.
Like I said before I'm not knocking down BKP and saying they suck, maybe its the UK prices things are more expensive over there so I can understand that but I don't get the hype and the price...or maybe its just here on UG, cause I see them recommended quite a lot and I wonder how many actually owned one for an extended period of time or if they are just copying what others said.

Gotta say though, I thought it was all hype and crap and smoke and mirrors and what not with the EVH Frankie pup, I thought the '78 SD Custom Shop was the best pickup I ever heard. Then GAS got the better of me and I was curious so I bought the Frankie pup to see how it is and it absolutely blew me away. Who knew.
I have owned 7 or so BKP's and still have 5. I can say from quite a bit of time spent with them that they are awesome. As for the price in the UK they really are about the same price as a Dimarzio. We get screwed with the exchange rate and the dollar not being worth shit right now.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I have EMG, actives 81, and the passive HZs in another guitar, they are actually pretty similar sounding side by side test with the same amp, I thought the passives would be crap but their not,
A bit less brootal but enough to surprise me thru my 6505.
Quote by yellowv
I have owned 7 or so BKP's and still have 5. I can say from quite a bit of time spent with them that they are awesome. As for the price in the UK they really are about the same price as a Dimarzio. We get screwed with the exchange rate and the dollar not being worth shit right now.

Actually your Pound has dropped off significantly, right now might be the best time to buy if you're in North America, or at least for Canadians
Glad to hear from someone who likes them and has owned many of them. It feels like another fad here on UG, everyone and their grandmother is recommending them. I wouldn't mind giving them a shot one day and see of course what its all about. I don't mind paying a premium for a really good quality pickup and something different. A lot of the boutique stuff especially with stomp boxes is over hyped but then there are those few really good manufacturers out there. One of the boutique gear I'd love to try one day is Metro Amps.
I'm not a huge EMG active humbucker fan but I do like their single coils. Invaders do sound like ass and I'm not too crazy about the mentioned RockMonkey pickups either.

As far as stuff I DO like, I still believe (for metal and hard rock) that the Gibson 500T is one of the best OEM pickups for the genre, very dirty and aggressive. DiMarzio Super Distortions are cool pickups and I like SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and the 59' in the neck on guitars.

EDIT: I just checked out IronGear since I've never heard of them in the States. I'm really digging the Rolling Mill humbucker they've got, it reminds me of a Pearly Gates without the slightly harsh breakup
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 27, 2010,
Quote by DSOTM80
Actually your Pound has dropped off significantly, right now might be the best time to buy if you're in North America, or at least for Canadians
Glad to hear from someone who likes them and has owned many of them. It feels like another fad here on UG, everyone and their grandmother is recommending them. I wouldn't mind giving them a shot one day and see of course what its all about. I don't mind paying a premium for a really good quality pickup and something different. A lot of the boutique stuff especially with stomp boxes is over hyped but then there are those few really good manufacturers out there. One of the boutique gear I'd love to try one day is Metro Amps.

the thing about them is that you get a matched set. Drop them in and if you choose the right pickups for your wood they sound exactly like you think they should sound. No fussing around required.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Page 1 of 2