Poll: Conspiraciez!! What do you think?
Poll Options
View poll results: Conspiraciez!! What do you think?
EVERYTHING WE KNOW IS A LIE!!!!11
76 21%
There's at least some minor form of conspiracy affected my life
127 35%
I may or may not be affected by conspiracies
96 27%
There are definitely no large conspiracies affecting my life
62 17%
Voters: 361.
Page 1 of 8
So I just watched the movie Zeitgeist, and while I think a pretty large majority of the movie is bullsh*t, I can't help but think that some of what we think we know isn't true.

To what extent do you think we're being manipulated/lied to if at all?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quite a lot probably, but your average conspiracy theory is paranoid bollocks made entirely out of fallacies.

The only conspiracies I'll believe in are ones with enough evidence to be more than just a theory, it's very probable that there's more but if there's not enough evidence we'd be idiots to assume a specific story is true.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 25, 2010,
I'm willing to believe that America intentionally didn't prevent 9/11 because they saw it as an opportunity to get oil. That's about it really.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by whalepudding
Quite a lot probably, but your average conspiracy theory is paranoid bollocks made entirely out of phalluses.

fix'd. I'm so clever.

Also, yeah, pretty much this.
Quote by metallicafan616
I'm willing to believe that America intentionally didn't prevent 9/11 because they saw it as an opportunity to get oil. That's about it really.

I agree. I think it's a bit much to say they planned and initiated it, but it is well documented that they had prior knowledge that it would happen at some undefined point in time.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Ye, nah fella. Some of these aye is true maybe. But ya gotta look into it aye. I been reading the book 1984 and they talkin about the possibility of maybe all the past and history bein a lie, aye?? 'Cause ya never really know, what me uncle says anyway. ha
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by newbie08
Ye, nah fella. Some of these aye is true maybe. But ya gotta look into it aye. I been reading the book 1984 and they talkin about the possibility of maybe all the past and history bein a lie, aye?? 'Cause ya never really know, what me uncle says anyway. ha

I give your Steve the Pirate imitation a big fat 4. Sorry brah.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by newbie08

I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by metallicafan616
Considering that's it costs a ton more to have oil tanker ships bring oil as opposed to have rigs near the US coast...yeah...try again...

@OP:
I know this freaking "Capping Trade" bill is a conspiracy that affects me. I mean, shit, the jerks are selling AIR, motherfreaking AIR! As a result, most American consumers will suffer, while those involved in Al Gore's scheme get rich.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 25, 2010,
The American government couldn't have prevented 9/11 because they didn't know it would happen. No one could be that heartless.

On another note, the government hiding extraterrestrial life evidence... completely possible.
i'm a moderate. i think the government's lying. i think they participated in at least some degree in the 9/11 terrorist attack. i know they killed JFK. i know they helped kill MLK.

everyone should see this movie. "it's not conspiracy theory; it's conspiracy fact." made a thread about it last night that no one saw. if you want to get a glimpse of what's going to happen in the next 5-10 years, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAyHIOg5aHk

just the trailer. google it for a torrent or to stream online.
#DTWD
Watch "wake up call", then tell me what you think

Think about this: 9/11 was a demonlition featuring two planes to make it look like a terrorist attack to go to war agains Iraq, Hitler did something similiar before WW2 and blamed the communists...
Last edited by GisleAune at May 25, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
^

I don't even need to bother picking the logical inconsistencies apart there.

please. be my guest.
#DTWD
Quote by gljbass
The American government couldn't have prevented 9/11 because they didn't know it would happen. No one could be that heartless.

On another note, the government hiding extraterrestrial life evidence... completely possible.

Bullshit, people can be heartless all the time. It's almost a redundant point because you know that the governments of the world and any leaders in history have done terrible things.
Quote by Henkdemachtige
I give your Steve the Pirate imitation a big fat 4. Sorry brah.

**** off, cuz (I don't mean to be offensive aye?) but not a pirate bro. Just wanna get along fella.

But yeah, mate back on the topic aye, gonna download me Zeitgeist for watchin 'cause a bit bored at the moment, ya know? I heard some good things about it but gotta watch it with open mind aye?
Quote by whalepudding

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Considering that's it costs a ton more to have oil tanker ships bring oil as opposed to have rigs near the US coast...yeah...try again...

no ...

we've set up permanent base in iraq and afghanistan for whenever the oil situation gets out of hand. we have a base in iraq bigger than vatican city. it's not temporary; it's an occupation. even the saudis are past their peak of oil production. it's going to get very bad, very soon. and if you want to scoff, be my guest. your grave, not mine.
#DTWD
Quote by gljbass

Bush wanna war, bush make a terrorist attack, bush blames the muslims, bush go to war...bush happy.
Last edited by GisleAune at May 25, 2010,
Quote by whalepudding
The only conspiracies I'll believe in are ones with enough evidence to be more than just a theory

LBJ's right hand man, malcolm wallace, had a 14 or 15 point match to an "unidentified" fingerprint on the murder weapon used on JFK. the FBI and CIA never acknowledged this, ignored it and still claims it's unidentified.

Malcolm Wallace, convicted in a 1951 murder and suspected in others, has been linked to the 1961 death of U.S. Department of Agriculture investigator Henry Marshall. Marshall was reportedly close to connecting Lyndon Johnson to fraudulent activities involving businessman and convicted swindler Billy Sol Estes.

Estes alleged in 1984 that LBJ ordered the killings of Marshall, President Kennedy, and half a dozen others, and that Wallace carried them out. A grand jury decided that same year that Henry Marshall was murdered as a result of a conspiracy involving then-Vice President Johnson, his aide Clifton Carter, and Wallace. No charges were possible since all three men were by then deceased.

Wallace was killed in a single car automobile accident in January 1971.
#DTWD
The "inside job" theories are so stupid. It doesn't make logical sense to create one of the biggest tragedies in the history of the United States, which would be under extreme scrutiny, just to make an oil grab. There is no gain that outweighs the potential risk of it failing, which it certainly would. Besides, we went into Iraq under the false pretense that there were weapons of mass destruction, 911 would have just been completely unnecessary. "Helping" the towers fall would have been even more unnecessary.

I do believe that the government provoked 911, and used it for personal gain. The danger of foreign terrorist attacks are only present because of our occupation of the Middle East. The motive for 911 has been stated clearly many times as revenge for the United States' careless killing of civilians.

Quote by Zoot Allures
The big thing about 9/11 to me is the pentagon. I'm not so gullible i'm going to believe they had no cameras filming the ****ing pentagon when a plane hit it -_-

But...they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is_qBXqObes
Last edited by Gyroscope at May 25, 2010,
Atheists are conspiracy theorists. Lol.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by newbie08
**** off, cuz (I don't mean to be offensive aye?) but not a pirate bro. Just wanna get along fella.

But yeah, mate back on the topic aye, gonna download me Zeitgeist for watchin 'cause a bit bored at the moment, ya know? I heard some good things about it but gotta watch it with open mind aye?

Alright, calm down aye? No need to type as you speak, aye? Or do you just want to be from Canada...

...aye?
hello
Quote by opc100
Alright, calm down aye? No need to type as you speak, aye? Or do you just want to be from Canada...

A Geordie Canadian?
Quote by GisleAune
Watch "wake up call", then tell me what you think

Think about this: 9/11 was a demonlition featuring two planes to make it look like a terrorist attack to go to war agains Iraq, Hitler did something similiar before WW2 and blamed the communists...

There was no demolition. I don't believe 9/11 was "allowed", but it was certainly exploited. The USA was completely for the invasion of Iraq after the towers fell, and Bush's approval rating soared. This also happened to Churchill in WWII, even though he was useless at politics and was ousted shortly after the war.

Also:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/1227842

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
if the government REALLY had nothing to do with 9/11, all of these people wouldn't have died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvay28lZiHU

my proof for everything is always pretty simple. you can get into the complexities of god vs. atheistic evolution. bottom line: we have wisdom teeth. therefore, no theistic god of any sort. deist. well on the other hand, when we see design we infer a designer. perhaps there is a deist god.

likewise, you can get into the complexities of conspiracy debates. but "keep it simple, stupid" as they say. coincidences like this are enough to convince me that SOMETHING is wrong. there are never that many coincidences.

a janitor who saw explosions in the basement of the WTC towers and rescued someone burned in said explosions dying after a "suicide" with a note giving a lame and unreasonable explanation of his motive? a councilman who was blown back by an explosion in building 7 before any planes hit dying two days before the NIST report on WTC7 came out? people being murdered and not having said murders invesigated? a woman testifying intimate knowledge who says she will not kill herself only to find her body hanging in her shed? the HOUSEKEEPER of marvin bush (insurer of the WTC buildings) being found dead in his driveway CRUSHED BY HER OWN CAR?

please. whatever. i don't give a shit what popular mechanics spinsters say. that shit doesn't just happen.
#DTWD
Quote by vartanspartan
I can't help but think that some of what we think we know isn't true.

Lawl.

Quote by vartanspartan
To what extent do you think we're being manipulated/lied to if at all?

Are you saying by the government? These people that everyone elects and gets so pumped about are power junkies. Nobody who wants to make the world a better place does it through politics. (and if somebody mentions Obama I will come to your house to feed you cement...) They lie to you about everything.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Zoot Allures
Various. Don't forget, a lot of what is now known was a 'lunatic conspiracy'. I always laugh when people treat conspiracy theorys as if they're bullshit, look up MK ultra before saying the guys in charge don't get up to no good.

That ranks up there in one of the most disgusting things man has ever done.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
There was no demolition. I don't believe 9/11 was "allowed", but it was certainly exploited. The USA was completely for the invasion of Iraq after the towers fell, and Bush's approval rating soared. This also happened to Churchill in WWII, even though he was useless at politics and was ousted shortly after the war.

Also:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/1227842

also:

http://www.serendipity.li/wot/pop_mech/reply_to_popular_mechanics.htm
#DTWD
I think the government probably looked the other way to the potential for terrorists to fly planes into buildings, and so ignored the threat of 9/11, but I also have read that the twin towers were, when they were built, made to withstand a plane attack. So I think the government thought it would be less severe than it was, and a nice little excuse to invade some oil-rich nations.

I'm also fascinated by conspiracies about things like freemasons and secret societies controlling government, but I have never looked into it enough to decide it's bullshit or not.
Quote by Gyroscope

I'm still not seeing a plane in that video. Just a big explosion filmed with a very very low fps camera. I've seen another equally poor video of the 'plane' impact somewhere too. Nice to know the pentagon is filmed by only two low quality CCTV cameras.

edit: To primus: Good vid, i've never seen that before.

Another question about 9/11 is , why were the fighter jets never scrambled? When hijacked planes are going to crash into targets then jets are meant to be sent to shoot them down if need be. No fighters ever took off though, the air force did nothing.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at May 25, 2010,
The issue I have with conspiracies is that the "conspiracy" might be a conspiracy in itself

It's just two opposing views, that could potentially be lying

9/11. Conspiracy = it was planned. Fair enough, but this could just as easily be a lie in itself

People present facts, figures, pictures, interviews, reports on everything; how are we truly to believe in, well, anything?

EDIT: Exactly. Primus bombards us with these "coincidences", e.g. the video of all them people suspiciously dying

Good heaves, this has to be a massive cover-up! But, regardless, I don't know these people. As far as I know, those people are make-believe.

As could 9/11. It could be make-believe; a giant plan to get lots of oil

EDIT 2: I realise there are plenty of counter-arguments that could be aimed at this. E.g. well, can you only believe in what you actually see? So, just because you haven't seen the Statue of Liberty, does it cease to exist?

Or, even further: Can you even believe in what you see?! (bring in Descartes at said point )
Last edited by fender_696 at May 25, 2010,
Quote by fender_696
The issue I have with conspiracies is that the "conspiracy" might be a conspiracy in itself

It's just two opposing views, that could potentially be lying

9/11. Conspiracy = it was planned. Fair enough, but this could just as easily be a lie in itself

People present facts, figures, pictures, interviews, reports on everything; how are we truly to believe in, well, anything?

There are lots of bad conspiracy sites especially wiht 9/11, however some of them (see the one primusfan linked for instance) as well as a lot of youtube videos are actually good since they're backing up the statements.
Quote by primusfan

a janitor who saw explosions in the basement of the WTC towers and rescued someone burned in said explosions dying after a "suicide" with a note giving a lame and unreasonable explanation of his motive?

People who commit suicide can be presumed to be reasonable, balanced, and mentally sound, yeah?

Quote by Zoot Allures

Another question about 9/11 is , why were the fighter jets never scrambled? When hijacked planes are going to crash into targets then jets are meant to be sent to shoot them down if need be. No fighters ever took off though, the air force did nothing.

It's nice to know that you've actually bothered to read what's been posted so far in the thread.

On 9/11 there were only 14 fighter jets on alert in the contiguous 48 states. No computer network or alarm automatically alerted the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) of missing planes. "They [civilian Air Traffic Control, or ATC] had to pick up the phone and literally dial us," says Maj. Douglas Martin, public affairs officer for NORAD. Boston Center, one of 22 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regional ATC facilities, called NORAD's Northeast Air Defense Sector (NEADS) three times: at 8:37 am EST to inform NEADS that Flight 11 was hijacked; at 9:21 am to inform the agency, mistakenly, that Flight 11 was headed for Washington (the plane had hit the North Tower 35 minutes earlier); and at 9:41 am to (erroneously) identify Delta Air Lines Flight 1989 from Boston as a possible hijacking. The New York ATC called NEADS at 9:03 am to report that United Flight 175 had been hijacked—the same time the plane slammed into the South Tower. Within minutes of that first call from Boston Center, NEADS scrambled two F-15s from Otis Air Force Base in Falmouth, Mass., and three F-16s from Langley Air National Guard Base in Hampton, Va. None of the fighters got anywhere near the pirated planes.

Why couldn't ATC find the hijacked flights? When the hijackers turned off the planes' transponders, which broadcast identifying signals, ATC had to search 4500 identical radar blips crisscrossing some of the country's busiest air corridors. And NORAD's sophisticated radar? It ringed the continent, looking outward for threats, not inward. "It was like a doughnut," Martin says. "There was no coverage in the middle." Pre-9/11, flights originating in the States were not seen as threats and NORAD wasn't prepared to track them.

I am also inclined not to believe the rebuttal of a site which hosts this.
Last edited by webbtje at May 25, 2010,
Quote by webbtje
People who commit suicide can be presumed to be reasonable, balanced, and mentally sound, yeah?

It's nice to know that you've actually bothered to read what's been posted so far in the thread.

Yep, i read that in the link primus posted. It later went on to expose that as disinformation. Learn something new every day.

Nice to know you've actually bothered to read what's been posted so far in the thread.
the problem with conspiracy theories that you never really know who is really giving you real facts, because you never know who they got their facts from.

All governments do some pretty fishy stuff, and alot of it gets dug up decades later, but by then people have probably forgotten about it so they don't care as much anymore.
9/11 is a tough one, because there obviously WERE two plains that flew into the towers, but I don't think any of us knows enough science to know for sure if that's really what caused the collapse (though I'm pretty sure it is, considering that the burning temperature of airplane propellant is enough to make iron and steel lose 80% or something of their structural stability).
Who exactly was behind it, and how much the government actually knew or not, we can only speculate, but we'll never find out for sure unless they come clean.

However, if you don't think the invasion of Iraq was solely for oil, you're an idiot.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yep, i read that in the link primus posted. It later went on to expose that as disinformation. Learn something new every day.

Nice to know you've actually bothered to read what's been posted so far in the thread.

And as I've cunningly edited, care to read what other nonsense that site rants on about? Here, I can post biased stuff too (though I refrain from posting from websites which tend to the insane).

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Truthers