Page 1 of 5
$50 says he goes faster than the speed of light and dies on impact before hitting the ground.

#DTWD
I think he's going to break the stupid barrier first.

In all seriousness, I think there will be far too many problems. If he reenters the atmosphere going the speed of sound, he might burn up. Yeah?

If not actually on fire, the friction on the air would likely wreck his body. It'll get him darn hot, if it doesn't actually burn him.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at May 25, 2010,
Quote by ICOG
Wouldn't he reach terminal velocity first?

This?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, that's one way to go about fighting overpopulation.
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know
Quote by primusfan
$50 says he goes faster than the speed of light and dies on impact before hitting the ground.

I'm in.
hello
Quote by primusfan

dies on impact BEFORE hitting the ground....whoa.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Terminal velocity?

The point at which a falling object can fall no faster.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by primusfan

£50 says when he hit's the ground, he's dead..

EDIT: Wait.. I just said what you said
Bah.. It's early >_>

But yeah.. He'll fail..

and die
Last edited by sam b at May 25, 2010,
Quote by ICOG

This was my first though too...

did someone not do thier math right, or is there something I am missing?
Quote by primusfan

speed of light? if he reached that, he'd be pure energy when he hit the ground

also, according to this: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml terminal velocity of a skydiver is ~200mph, he's never going to his 750mph to break the sound barrier
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by ICOG

Quote by 'Leviathan'
Terminal velocity?

Quote by whitenihilist
This was my first though too...

did someone not do thier math right, or is there something I am missing?

"Within the first 30 seconds, he expects to be falling faster than the speed of sound, which at that altitude is around 690 miles per hour."

Within the first 30 seconds? Thinner air (less drag), increasing terminal velocity?

I may be wrong, as you've seen from my other post in this thread, I'm not really awake yet
Last edited by sam b at May 25, 2010,
I had physics a few years back, but as everyone has said, wouldn't terminal velocity stop him from doing this?

*edit*

Quote by sam b
"Within the first 30 seconds, he expects to be falling faster than the speed of sound, which at that altitude is around 690 miles per hour."

Within the first 30 seconds? Thinner air, increasing terminal velocity?

I may be wrong, as you've seen from my other post in this thread, I'm not really awake yet

But then what would happen to him as the air was back to the normal skydiving conditions O_o?
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at May 25, 2010,
I think his terminal velocity will be alot higher because of the altitude he is at. Thats why they said he'd reach the sound barrier after about 30 seconds. Normal dives last way more than 30 seconds and people don't go that fast then.
Are You Shpongled..?
this man is very silly.

although I think it's a good thing to test this on him, we don't need stupid people like him anyway.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
this kittinger guy who has held the record for i don´t know how long was falling with 988 km/h which equals 614 mph. kittinger fell from 102.800 feet this guy wants to fall from 120.000 feet.

so maybe he COULD reach the sound barrier
The calculation to work out maximum velocity takes into account the density of the material you are moving through, with thinner air your maximum velocity would be higher.

But as for when you reach thicker air...? Sudden increase in air resistance and he bursts into flames?!
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by ICOG

This.
Although the suit sounds fairly crazy, maybe they've modified it so that terminal velocity is far higher.

5 minutes of falling would be kinda cool though I guess...
Listen to an awesomely fitting song on the way down, high speed dirt by Megadeth could be interesting.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
This.
Although the suit sounds fairly crazy, maybe they've modified it so that terminal velocity is far higher.

5 minutes of falling would be kinda cool though I guess...
Listen to an awesomely fitting song on the way down, high speed dirt by Megadeth could be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5Pz5fH1FA
Quote by StewieSwan
Just a publicity stunt

When it's this awesome, who gives a fuck?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Pics or it didn't happen.

It'd be really loud if he does, he might want some ear protection. You've heard those super sonic jets right? Man once that sound catches up to him he's gonna be pissed he ever had the idea to go faster then sound. Idiot.
Quote by SilentMoose
The calculation to work out maximum velocity takes into account the density of the material you are moving through, with thinner air your maximum velocity would be higher.

But as for when you reach thicker air...? Sudden increase in air resistance and he bursts into flames?!

I can just picture all the skin being ripped from his body.
Quote by ICOG

The speed of terminal velocity is constant due to the restraining force exerted by the air, this guy is jumping from a height where there is no air and hopes to break the sound barrier before he reaches the air.
Quote by SSDaniel105
Pics or it didn't happen.

It'd be really loud if he does, he might want some ear protection. You've heard those super sonic jets right? Man once that sound catches up to him he's gonna be pissed he ever had the idea to go faster then sound. Idiot.

Yeah, I'm sure that hasn't occurred to any of them.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by SlackerBabbath
The speed of terminal velocity is constant due to the restraining force exerted by the air, this guy is jumping from a height where there is no air and hopes to break the sound barrier before he reaches the air.

But with no air there's no sound... With no sound he can't break the sound barrier...
He's just going to die. Something will go wrong. Or even on the off chance he lives, my guess is he'd feel dumb as f**k for even contemplating this.

Or he'll feel like he's cool as f**k.

My guess is he's just an attention-wh*re.

You poor little Lindsay Lohan, you.
Quote by SilentMoose

It's not like there's a sudden wall of thicker air; I'd assume he'd decelerate as the density increases.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
He's just going to die. Something will go wrong. Or even on the off chance he lives, my guess is he'd feel dumb as f**k for even contemplating this.

Or he'll feel like he's cool as f**k.

My guess is he's just an attention-wh*re.

You poor little Lindsay Lohan, you.

There are a lot of naysaying cunts in this thread.

Oscar Wilde
I'd laugh if he landed in my backyard. Or in North Korea
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
i say he'll make it. Totally awesome.
Here is going to be a pretty awesome signature.
Quote by Meths
There are a lot of naysaying cunts in this thread.

Strong word.

But whatever.

Uhh.

Let's make some cereal. K? Ok.
im guessing becuase the air is thinner up that high that the reduced air friction would enable him to go faster than the 212mph terminal velocity of a human free falling.
"In the future, a lot more tourists will go and travel to space. And if something goes wrong with their spacecraft, they have to return to Earth somehow," he said. "We will show to the world that egress from high altitude is survivable."
The main difference is that Baumgartner will start from a standstill, whereas astronauts in a craft like the space shuttle are traveling at orbital speeds close to 18,000 mph when their re-entry begins."

So, not much difference between the two then.
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
Page 1 of 5