Page 1 of 3
So we all have friends who play guitar like us, and some of them have said or done pretty stupid things concerning gear over the years. Most weird is people who can outplay you, but appear totally tonedeaf. I thought we'ld share stories of friends like that. Here's mine:

A classic: coworker of mine has a nice Traynor tube amp, but runs a Metal Zone in front of it for distortion.

Most weird: a friend / family member who's actually pretty good and has nice gear of his own, says my Fireball's gain sucks monkey butt. As it's a matter of taste, I reply that high gain is not everybody's cup of tea. He then replies that he doesn't hear where the gain's at ?!, that it doesn't have enough gain.

Let's hear yours
I told my friend I was getting a Line 6. He immediately started bashing it, when I discovered he was describing a Spider. I was like "You thinking of a Spider? Nah man, I'm getting a POD X3" and he's like "oh those are pretty good."

A month later he bought a 100w Spider III. I didn't say anything, but he knew what I was thinking.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I think I'll win. My best friend Alex.

Epiphone LP Special II. Through Line 6 Spider III. Insane channel. All EQ on 10. Gain on 10.

He's never intonated his guitar. Tunes to different tuning constantly. From E standard to drop A, yet he uses 10's and claims it stays in tune "perfect" and his line 6 sounds "amazing".

He has Never once cleaned his guitar. His fretboard is literally like dead. The wood has died.
He doesn't know what a truss rod is, nor where it's located. Nor does he believe me that it's a big deal.

He also has a squier strat. One that comes in a beginner box with a fender frontman 15. Or whatever it is. Try that all turned to 10 as well.

"This tone is perfect"

I facepalm all the time.

And he attempts to do pinch harmonics ALL THE TIME.
It sounds like a dying zebra who just ate too much grass and got mauled by a racoon. It'll happen.

Anyways.
Tl;dr..

Friend. Epiphone lp special II. Line 6 spider III. Squier. Fender frontman.
The definition of perfect?
I SAY NAY.
One of my friends in another band that was playing at the same venue as us made me laugh so much! Right before the beginning of their set he swung his guitar over his sholder, the tit didn't have strap locks and the guitar went flying snapping two strings, he then proceeded to rush around trying to get someone to lend him theirs. I couldn't cause I play in a different tuning to them but still, very amusing!
I ... erm.... think I am the wierd friend.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have a friend who when asked by the sound guy whether he had an extra jack to jack cable replied which ones that:|
another friend is upgrading from is line 6 spider 2 30 w to a line 6 spider 4 150 watt head:|
previously he had a line 6 spider 1
I have a friend who already owns 7 guitars and plays all of them through a Spider III 15W on the Insane setting with gain maxed, bass maxed, mid and treble cut.

But then he got a Marshall MG as present and now he plays it fully cranked to get the "traditional Marshall power tube saturation".

Some weeks before that we went through some websites and saw a Blackheart Hothead. He told me about how crappy it was because he played it at a guitar store and it didn't have a distortion channel. I told him that it is a Plexi-style amp and therefore needs to be cranked to get overdrive sounds out of it.
He starred at me as if I was talking another language or something.

2 other guitar playing friends of mine once told me that I should bring along my wah-pedal. It was something between funny and emberassing how they couldn't understand how the pedal works and how to used it.
I showed them how it works but the whole thing ended up with both of them saying that wah-pedals are crap because they sound "unnatural".
Funny how much fun they always had with auto-wahs.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ill try,
So one of my best mates with whom i play teh br00tz with purchased a Randal head. It was on sale from like 900USD to 400USD. Its a hybrid, so it has one preamp tube. He built a cab with 2 celestion v30's and 2 celestion g12-75's (the musicians friend "metal pack")
his rig has excellent potential. But he REFUSES to use mids. The mid dial on all channels is completely at 0, and the contour knob (which i believe cuts or adds mids) is cranked. When i ask to adjust his eq he says his tone "has more balls."
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Other guitarist in my band has a Randall SS half stack (rx1000 or something). He dimes the treble and scoops ALL mids. He loves this tone because "it's so effing bruuuutal". When it comes to playing live my 5150 is all that can be heard. He thinks what he's hearing is his amp People have told me that they thought his amp was broken because NOBODY could hear it. I get compliments on my tone all the time and he says "it's my half stack that gives the band "our" sound". I just laugh and laugh.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
oh well, all the classics...

the guy I gigged with, who gigged with a gretsch guitar into a boss me-50 into a line6 spider 3, who in the end refused to play on my traynor custom valve
the actual band that gigged with 2 spider III halfstacks
there's a guy that once told me that he wanted a jcm800 half stack, and to tell him if i found one for 500 bucks

my ex singer: she was borrowing my line6 pod xt live at a gig (she didn't have anything but a guitar--- she upgraded from a behringher starter pack guitar to an epiphone les paul studio) and she plugged it into a borrowed mesa combo. I made sure that she knew what she was doing, because I knew she actually wasn't.
she played the whole gig with the pod in the overdriven clean channel. the sound was terrible, since she used the clean a lot, and that clean had reverb, delay and chorus.... plus the amp sims that didn't even work well with it

or the 2 kids at the store, one of em playing a jackson guitar into a roland cube 30, saying ''hey man, if it sounds that big in the small cube, imagine through the huge line6!''
i couldn't help but laugh, thinking of which line6 they were referring to
Oh I also remember when I friend of mine played through my Vypyr on the 6505 simulation with the gain maxed (stupid amounts of unusable gain) and he was looking for more gain.
I am sure he was looking for the Insane channel.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i didnt get to do these stupid things yet but im sure that in the end ill be the one doing it.
ohh i just remembered one
a friend of mine that has been playing for a couple of years laughed at me when i said that the wood affects the tone, and he thought that only pickups do. and he called them microphones.
Last edited by philipk at May 25, 2010,
One of my friends is dead set on getting a half stack, and he doesn't gig at all. It's a decent cheap stack, Kustom 100DFX, but it's just too damn unnecessary. I don't think he's even played through it to see if he likes it yet.
Well i got a friend who has a really weird style of playing and a really weird way of approaching his tone, everyone takes the piss out of him all the time behind his back because of this, he's really sucky at playing other peoples stuff and it always comes out all sloppy, but when he's doing his own thing he's actually really good and gets a unique sound.. although his decision to use a boss GE-7 set to a diagonal line going upwards from the bass side is questionable, as well as putting a chorus pedal in the signal path BEFORE his very very fuzzy distortion. I guess he knows what he's doing even though nobody else does

There's also a guy i know who uses a fender strat into a boss DS-1 with the gain cranked, into the clean channel of a marshall MG with the treble set at about 8 and the mid and bass set around 3/4ish, and the bridge pickup, he's a great guitarist but his tone grates your ears, and he just doesn't take a hint about how to change it even though he hates his tone.. he still changed his settings back to what they were after a time where i ended up having to borrow his rig for a gig and he said "woah you made my rig sound so much more awesome than i thought it was possible to, i didn't realise my cheap gear could sound that good, what settings did you use?" and i showed him the settings
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
i'm a fair dumb ass when it comes to amp settings, but at least i know different tunings/bands have different settings, anyhoo i have a mate who bought a Monterey guitar, he's like woah its the best guitar ever (he buys off looks, i hate warlocks), i then though wow your a retard for actually paying for that, and he can't tune change strings or maintain a guitar at all
Honestly, I don't know why everyone cares about what everyone else is doing. All of these stories are the same. If people are having fun, shouldnt we not care? To non-guitar players most of the gear probably doesnt matter if the tone is decent. I've got a buddy who absolutely shreds circles around me....just puts my playing skills to shame because he's been playing for 20+ years, yet he plays through a Digitech GNX4 which sounds so digital its painful sometimes. He absolutely loves it though so who am I to judge?
theres a girl in my class whos played for maby 2 years or so, when our music teacher had some chords for a song on the board, and put us 2 on the guitars playing for the song that the other ppl sang (and played the drums, bass etc.), the girl asked me did we have to play those chords on the board? (they were not tabbed or anything, just G, Am etc.) I said we had to play to power chords for those, she looks at me like What are those? and when the song kicks off she played the chords, wrong, completely off tempo, and so friggin loud that I couldnt be heard and ppl thought i sucked. Never played with her since. And I do sometimes stay in the music class just to jam around for fun, and maby alittle to show that I dont suck... Just if people would be lookin for a guitarist for a band, I just want to know that they know that Im able.

Also, a friend of mine who used to play guitar for maby 2 years, bought ummm I think an SG by dunno what... anyway, he broke a string an doesnt know how to change it, been so since christmas. and its a stoptail sg.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Honestly, I don't know why everyone cares about what everyone else is doing. All of these stories are the same. If people are having fun, shouldnt we not care? To non-guitar players most of the gear probably doesnt matter if the tone is decent. I've got a buddy who absolutely shreds circles around me....just puts my playing skills to shame because he's been playing for 20+ years, yet he plays through a Digitech GNX4 which sounds so digital its painful sometimes. He absolutely loves it though so who am I to judge?

+1 Do we really need another thread bashing n00bs?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

i dunno sometimes they can be fun but then it just turns out to be, so my friend was playing this -intermediate song here- and i tottally played a fusion of eruption mixed with all of paganini's caprices at 30x tempo and vivaldis summer, then i finished off with some improv.. needless to say i made my (ex) friend my bitch

but one time i was at guitar center and this kid was trying to sweep on the blue lightning version of a dimebag tribute dean through a spider (when they first came out) needless to say.. it was cranked and horriblie eq'd to match his skills

im not one for bashing peoples taste on equipment unless it just sucks really bad, but then i try to constructively criticise but no on usually listens right? but when you suck really bad (and should know it) you shouldnt try an act like you're a god
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Last edited by ash_attack at May 25, 2010,
I just hate how 90% of the posts in this thread are 'my friend thinks his spider 3 sounds great, how stupid of him.' There's a reason those damn things sell like hot cakes, and it isn't because they sound good. Its because most people don't give a shit about tone.

These threads are like if we were on a car forum and were all posting 'my friend has a stock Nissan Altima and he thinks its fast enough for him, what a moron.' We are the exception, not the rule.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have a friend who bought one of those Fender starter packs that has the crappy guitar and crappy amp. Every time I say that the tone is terrible, he tells me that the tone knobs are on full.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
this one time i used a squier strat through an mg.

sounded great for practicing
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I have a friend who doesnt gig or play in a band at all yet he plays a JEM through a Pod X-3 and a JCM-800 half stack.

/jealousy
there's a guy on this forum, I wont mention names like *cough* Colin *cough* who iINSISTED on using a HRD with a Maxon OD9 while playing with Taylor Swift because he thinks his Mesa Lonestar is a n00b amp. Just kidding, Colin!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by tubetime86

it doesn't have to be about bashing n00bs. i think the point is meant to be to discuss unusual/eccentric ways people you know/your friends go about achieving their "signature" tones. you can't call them friends if you're bitching about them on the net.

I just remembered a metal guitarist i know whose signal chain is:

Ibanez RG-something or other -> EHX Big Muff Pi -> Dunlop Crybaby of some description -> Fender FM212R input -> FM212R fx send -> Danelectro FAB metal -> FM212R fx return

he also hates tube amps, he's just not found a single tube amp he's liked, having tried plenty. he keeps on going back to cheap fender solid state cleans for his amplification. but why he puts the danelectro in the FX loop i don't know but he likes it better like that. But i'm not bashing it.. he knows what sound he's trying to achieve and how to go about it, it's unconventional, but it works for him.
Rig Winter 2017:

big muff on virtually max into a tubescreamer, also virtually cranked, low amp gain, guitar volume at like .001 sounds pretty sweet.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Once played with a guy who insisted upon running his American Strat through our PA with a DOD Death Metal. It was the most horribly awesome tone ever, I call it that "Washing Machine" tone, because it sounded like a washing machine on spin cycle.

Then there was our genius rhythm guitarist who inistially used 015 gauge strings (I can believe this, they were very thick, and were very cheesy looking, and came in big yellow boxes that had some kind of hispanic naming to them). These strings were being used on two cheap strat copies that had their truss-rods totally loosened. One time I had to actually PLAY one of these clunkers, and needless to say, I offered to make them play better, since then I took care of his guitars.

The same guy also decided once he wanted to imitate CC Deville (the swinging guitar thing), on a brand spankin new B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock, and let me tell ya, he made a LAWN DART out of that thing! He did one spin, and the guitar went in a circle, the shoulder strap broke off, and the guitar went flying, headstock first into my mom's front yard. It twisted the neck and caused a twist fracture below the fretboard. I spent a WEEK gluing that thing back together, got it almost as good as factory, however it did always have a chip of maple missing out of the back of the neck, I left it there as a reminder. If you're going to be like CC Deville USE STRAP LOCKS!

So that same neck migrated to a custom Warlock we built using a plywood Hondo Formula 1 body and parts from a Fender HM Strat. This weird concoction looked cool and sounded great.....but, the fool left it in his truck in the hot Alabama sun, and the fractured neck went for shit again, LOL.

And then there was the time he bought a brand new Jackson PS3T Randy Rhoads, put it in the trunk of his Mustang that he had back then, with my already somewhat battle scarred Jag-Stang, without a case. Needless to say, they got to moving, got in a fight, the Jag-Stang won and took a pea sized chunk of maple right out of the Jackson's headstock. Score 1 for Fender.

This guy also bought a brand new Crate Blue Voo Doo. He had to turn that thing up all the way to compete with his old beat up Peavey 75 watt combo. You'd think the guy would have the idea to know something was wrong, a 120 watt stack is NOT supposed to be outblown by a 75 watt Peavey that's running on 4. Eventually, he blew the input transformer, probably when the tubes finally went.

The current rhythm guitarist I'm working with has a lovely Yamaha RGX120, the one with the dual humbuckers. It's in great shape except when he replaced his original bridge saddles with Graph-tech string savers, he did not intonate that guitar. It was the most ear grating mess sometimes, him trying to play in tune up and down the neck, while I solo'd on a well adjusted instrument. So finally, one day he comes to me asking for me to fix any issues on his guitar, needless to say, that guitar is every bit as good as my main axe now.

Then there's the bassist in one of my bands. This guy has had the same Washburn NS-5 bass for 15 years, and has only changed strings about 4 times. Yet another case of neglected gear that I got a chance to fix after he got super drunk one night at rehearsal, and threw that thing on the floor, knocking one of his tuning keys loose. Needless to say, I set the intonation, fixed the tuner, and gave it a once over with car polish and that bass is back up to working....

That's not to say I have not done some weird/obnoxious/crazy crap myself......

I remember all my EQ follies, like that I discovered Treble was not a bad thing after playing through a Peavey Rage 158 with just the bass boosted. Then I learned midrange was not a bad thing, after playing in several bands and being totally inaudiable because there was nothing to cut me through the mix.

The first crazy story was at rehearsal with the Lawn Dart Warlock guy's Gorilla amp. So anyway, I had an Epiphone Stereo Chorus combo that was too big to fit in his little sports car (I did not drive at the time), so we rehearsed one weekend and this genius leaves me to combat a Peavey Special 130 75 watt combo and a Randall 75 watt solid state combo with a 10 watt Gorilla GC-30 combo with a 5" speaker. I'm running my active Jag-Stang arse through a BOSS ME-6 and a Korg AX-30G into this little runt of an amplifer, trying not to grab the nearest power drill and drill my eardrums out with it to spare me of the horrible racket churning out of that poor stressed Gorilla. Anyway, about 5 minutes into the first song, lawn dart warlock guy starts freaking out because his amplifier is smoking out of the back. We unplugged it, the top of the Gorilla was so hot you could cook an egg on it, smoke POURING out of the electronics cavity, and out of the speaker area. Apparently, we fried the Voice Coil and burned something up in the amp, yet somehow, the little bastard still worked. Lesson here - don't use a 5 watt amp to a 75 watt rehearsal! I already knew this, but I figure he learned his lesson with a blown voice coil and something else burned up.

More recently, I sent a Squier Jagmaster through a wall via a fit of post-driving road rage. If you expect carnage, you're totally wrong, the little offset monster went THROUGH the wall, and came out, a little pale, but still in tune. Now THATS a guitar. Kurt Cobain's JAGUAR never went through that much torment. One thing is for sure, those Squiers, they'll come through for you, even if you're being a total douche.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
^that kind of post is what i was talking about, my friends an idiot.. im a genius.. they would be dead if it wasnt for me spoon feeding them kind of person
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
In fourth grade my friend mike asked my friend Braulio to hold his fender bass. so braulio has it in his hands and accidentally throws it down the stairs.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by tubetime86
I just hate how 90% of the posts in this thread are 'my friend thinks his spider 3 sounds great, how stupid of him.' There's a reason those damn things sell like hot cakes, and it isn't because they sound good. Its because most people don't give a shit about tone.

These threads are like if we were on a car forum and were all posting 'my friend has a stock Nissan Altima and he thinks its fast enough for him, what a moron.' We are the exception, not the rule.

I was already fearing I was the only one here who deared to think this kind of stuff...
Quote by tubetime86
Most people don't give a shit about tone... We are the exception, not the rule.

I probably am a bit more rule than exception though
I had a friend who had no gear but a strat copy, and a Line 6 Spider III.

He gets a new guitar, and tells me its an Epiphone SG. I am thinking it is a G-400 (which are pretty good guitars,) but he pulls it out of the gig bag to reveal that it is an Epiphone SG Special.

I don't understand why anybody would upgrade to an Epi SG Special. Isn't that supposed to be what you upgrade FROM?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at May 25, 2010,
Quote by kacper_j
I have a friend who doesnt gig or play in a band at all yet he plays a JEM through a Pod X-3 and a JCM-800 half stack.

/jealousy

and, playing guitar is not about gigging, it's about having fun. He's obviously having fun with a nice set up like that, i dont' see the problem
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by ash_attack
^that kind of post is what i was talking about, my friends an idiot.. im a genius.. they would be dead if it wasnt for me spoon feeding them kind of person

did you actually read it all? he also pointed out stupid things that he's done too.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Business

A classic: coworker of mine has a nice Traynor tube amp, but runs a Metal Zone in front of it for distortion.

I have a Traynor tube amp and play with a Metal Muff in front. Got a problem with that?
My friend, hands down the best player around here, runs through an MG, and I die a little every time. Not only because it sounds bad, but because he knows it, and yet still insists on expanding his board (pretty nice board by the way) rather than upgrading the amp. I'm pushing it on him though. He sounds so much worse than he really is, tis a shame.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by tubetime86

+1 Tubestied, +1.

There's a weird guy I know.
He's on this forum and he constantly gets new amps.

He even got banned for doing that, nobody here can stand him and his NADs.

Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by fc89konkari
theres a girl in my class whos played for maby 2 years or so, when our music teacher had some chords for a song on the board, and put us 2 on the guitars playing for the song that the other ppl sang (and played the drums, bass etc.), the girl asked me did we have to play those chords on the board? (they were not tabbed or anything, just G, Am etc.) I said we had to play to power chords for those, she looks at me like What are those? and when the song kicks off she played the chords, wrong, completely off tempo, and so friggin loud that I couldnt be heard and ppl thought i sucked. Never played with her since. And I do sometimes stay in the music class just to jam around for fun, and maby alittle to show that I dont suck... Just if people would be lookin for a guitarist for a band, I just want to know that they know that Im able.

Also, a friend of mine who used to play guitar for maby 2 years, bought ummm I think an SG by dunno what... anyway, he broke a string an doesnt know how to change it, been so since christmas. and its a stoptail sg.

The real question is, how do you play an Am power chord? Since a powerchord is just the 1st and a perfect 5th. And a minor chord has a minor 3rd.

Maybe you were doing it wrong.

+1 to bitching about how everyone else plays line 6 spiders and dont know anything where as i know all and my gear is teh shizz.

My mate is convinced his sig schenker V dean thing is nicer than all my guitars. Thats pretty weird. He complains my teles neck is big when his dean is like a baseball bat.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 25, 2010,
Page 1 of 3