I have a pod UX2 and i hate the thing and refuse to use it.

So here's my idea since the videos are only for youtube, i have a decent microphone that records pretty well it's just some $10 microphone but it actually does pretty decent recording for the price and sounds better than my UX2 when using my bugera, so i was thinking of a easy way to record videos using the microphone and video and muting the video

Here's my idea

Drag the song into reaper (or similar)
Play along with the mp3 while recording
Do it again,
Double track it to get that better sound
Then record a video of playing muting the audio from the video
Save mp3, Import into video editor along with said video
Sync them up
Save.

Is there a good idea or will i encounter issues during the future i will replace the $10 mic with a shure sm57 if it works out well.

EDIT the microphone does not pick up the mp3 playing either, Or i could use headphones if it does
Quote by GezzyDiversion
What is wrong with the toneport? I have the UX1 and it is fine.

It's so much effort to get a decent tone out of the thing,

Not only that but since it doesn't support windows 7 properly it will lag and the recording will skip and go way out of time for no reason and then have loud pops in it
The only issue i can see is the fact the recording has a 20ms delay to what i'm actually playing but i'm sure i can just shift the recording 20ms ahead to the mp3 and it shall be all sweet
If you didn't want to look like a goober lip-syncing, you should record the audio and the video at the same time. It's not that much less work, but at least you're not pretending.

Pretending to play is fine for a music video, but it's pretty lame for a performance video.

Also, have you considered that maybe it's the software that isn't Windows 7 compatible? There might be something else that accepts your Toneport.
im using windows 7 64 bit with a ux1 and pod farm and im having no problems whatsoever. maybe update your drivers?
Reaper is free.

TS, sounds like a great plan to me! I've seen a few covers like that.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Might have to give it a go tonight see how i go with it, any tips on recording this way would be great
Tons of info on recording here. I like to drop my gain (to much makes it muddy)
and put a real nice boost in the mids, helps cut through. An sm57 would
make a great upgrade!
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Has anyone ever used a "rockband" mic (the game) to record audio i have one lying around and thought it my be better than this $10 mic, although it's probably a $10 mic it's self but since it's the same size as a proper mic i thought i mic be able to get a better sound etc and i'm sure i can rig something up so i can point it at the cab speaker
^ It works in a pinch, but it's not the best quality.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by BoL7z
Has anyone ever used a "rockband" mic (the game) to record audio i have one lying around and thought it my be better than this $10 mic, although it's probably a $10 mic it's self but since it's the same size as a proper mic i thought i mic be able to get a better sound etc and i'm sure i can rig something up so i can point it at the cab speaker

if your current $10 mic uses an interface, then the rockband mic wouldn't be much of an upgrade. As stated, It works if you need it too, but not that great. If you were gonna buy one, i'd just keep saving for an sm57.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by BoL7z
It's so much effort to get a decent tone out of the thing,

Not only that but since it doesn't support windows 7 properly it will lag and the recording will skip and go way out of time for no reason and then have loud pops in it

Not really....

There's plenty of great presets on the Line 6 website to help get you started.

Also, I don't know what's wrong with your computer, but I run Windows 7 x64 Professional and I haven't had lag at all with mine or the POD Farm software

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yes, I'm having the same problems! And I'm on 32 Bit Vista. I plan to put mine on eBay soon. I've had just about every problem I can think of...

POD farm was awful, I was really surprised. Maybe not awful, but I couldn't get a tone I liked... Started using acmebargig free stuff and was blown away. But seeing as I can't effectively record it's wasted...

You must be using it wrong then because POD Farm absolutely destroys Shred IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Reaper is free.

TS, sounds like a great plan to me! I've seen a few covers like that.

how is reaper free? i can't find one that doesn't need a license, and it makes me pay $60 to use it...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
how is reaper free? i can't find one that doesn't need a license, and it makes me pay $60 to use it...

I've been using Reaper, downloaded directly from their site, for like 2 years and I haven't paid a cent

After 30 days, it gives you a pop-up that tells you you should buy it, but all you have to do is wait 4 seconds for the timer, then click "still evaluating" and it works just fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I've been using Reaper, downloaded directly from their site, for like 2 years and I haven't paid a cent

After 30 days, it gives you a pop-up that tells you you should buy it, but all you have to do is wait 4 seconds for the timer, then click "still evaluating" and it works just fine.

This^
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I'm using the cheaper little Toneport GX1 with Pod Farm 1 & 2 & I get great results - I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and 64-bit on another partition - drivers are working fine. I have a $500 Interface but bought this GX1 as a whim the other night and I'm amazed how good it sounds. Sounds as good as my expensive one - I'm running it at 24/44.1. Pod Farm is a whole lotta fun too. I use all the Free sims + a bunch of high-dollar ones and Pod Farm is up there with the best of em.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I'm using the cheaper little Toneport GX1 with Pod Farm 1 & 2 & I get great results - I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and 64-bit on another partition - drivers are working fine. I have a $500 Interface but bought this GX1 as a whim the other night and I'm amazed how good it sounds. Sounds as good as my expensive one - I'm running it at 24/44.1. Pod Farm is a whole lotta fun too. I use all the Free sims + a bunch of high-dollar ones and Pod Farm is up there with the best of em.

Same with you mate, I bought my toneport GX on clearance for only 40 bucks and had fun with it immensely without latency (under 10 ms or even less with asio4all)
heres an idea im pretty sure your UX2 can be used just as in interface anyway so mic up your amp (definately upgrade to the sm57) and run it into the ux2 on dry input and that should work well:d
Hmm I just can't be bothered to mess around with it, and it's not like i need to make 0 noise all the time

So when i want to play soft i just play at 0 volume and then to recording crank it to 2-3 during hthe day and do some recordings and mess around.

Just so much effort to get a nice tone out of it and the fact the drivers are pretty half assed are fairly disappointing

And well my bugera 6262 destroys it imo.

The other thing is say i'm using my pod and i find a tone i like, if i go to take my amp to a friends house or whatever i then have to try find that tone on my bugera which gets a pain

But anyway, Might give that recording with the rockband mic see how it goes

Quote by josh_salty
heres an idea im pretty sure your UX2 can be used just as in interface anyway so mic up your amp (definately upgrade to the sm57) and run it into the ux2 on dry input and that should work well:d

Yep was thinking about this so at least the UX2 won't go to waste and then if i ever need to record something with some weird effects then i have that

Also would anyone notice if say the guitar recording is 10-20ms off from the actual mp3?
Last edited by BoL7z at May 27, 2010,
nope 12ms is about the time it takes for sound to come out your cab and reach your ears

20ms might be noticeable though
So i retried to use pod and i have no idea what's wrong with it, even playing along to a mp3 the whole thing will just stop even the mp3, and there's no reason behind it. Tried a different program... same thing :S

No issues with using a mic tho

OK wtf, I uploaded a clip to the website and it's glitching inside reaper and after i render it, there's no glitching?
Last edited by BoL7z at May 27, 2010,
Also anyone know anything i can use to get some sort of drums just for my own riffs etc?

Was thinking of playing some power chords and then using a Major scale or pentatonic scale over the top for a few hours see what i come up with as practice for improv

I'd like to add some drums or something to it, but i have no experience with drums at all.
bolz...Strangedogs has added a link to some backing tracks at the AcmeBarGig Forum...Apparently quite a few. Unfortunately I cannot think of what the link is, but I'm sure strange will not mind sharing them...But thats up to him...
KM
Quote by BoL7z
So i retried to use pod and i have no idea what's wrong with it, even playing along to a mp3 the whole thing will just stop even the mp3, and there's no reason behind it. Tried a different program... same thing :S

Actually...

My FirePod does this also, pisses me off to no end cause I'll be recording something and then it'll just stop midway and then I'll go to replay it and be like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. It's a problem with drivers I think. There's been newer drivers for my FirePod since I installed the ones that I have, so I'm going to install the new ones and see if that fixes it. I haven't had that problem with my TonePort though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Matrix, just an idea to try...The hardware acceleration...Take it down one notch and see what happens.

>Right click on the desktop..
>Select Properties
>Settings Tab
>Advanced Button
>Trouble Shoot tab
Then slide the acceleration slider back one..

I don't know if that will do anything for you, it has worked in the past for me for various unexplainable issues..
Hope that helps,
KM