i've got my first jazz performance (2 days) coming up and im freaking out just thinking about all the possibilities of screwing up especially for improv
i know im relatively descent and can play usually with our group but i haven't had heaps experiance ... year 11 jazz band btw
any help?
lol you'll be fine just think of the crowd as a bunch of popsicles......
mmm.... popsicles
Hard though it seems, try not to think about it! IF you make a mistake, dont show it! The audience might not notice, and even if they do they'll rather see you laugh it off and carry on as opposed to seeing you go "oh, SHIT!"

Relax, enjoy yourself and everything will be ace!
thanks for the advice we were told just to at least look calm though it is hard when i tense up because of anxiety
Hey i had my first gig in middle school. I still have terribler nerves, but once i get on stage i'm fine. As said before the audience might not notice mistakes. I'm a good player i was playing sweet child o' mine aced the solo, but my nerves took over on the intro and i screwed up slightly. (i was doing this individually). However once i came off stage people thought it was a backing track and that i was pretending to play. Playing is all about having fun so just relax. Hope i've helped
thanks, though i would imagine unlike you, once i get on stage it would be worse but thanks ive been practicing heaps so hopefully it'll compensate rather than procrastinating about the problems
Hey dude ok I have been doing jazz band since the 8th grade(im in college now). I play bass and my director always loved for the bass to do a solo with everyone else dropped out except for our drummer. The main thing you have to remember is dont substitute speed for quality. That was my biggest problem, I would get all nervouse and try to just play as many notes as possible. Just think of the melody and what you would do to make it better. If you doubt yourself you will fail, and when ALL else fails just play Mary Had a Little Lamb, its easy and at least it will get a chuckle out of somebody.

Peace&Love
Travis"Evill"Powell
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
Quote by WhoPhlungBass
Hey dude ok I have been doing jazz band since the 8th grade(im in college now). I play bass and my director always loved for the bass to do a solo with everyone else dropped out except for our drummer. The main thing you have to remember is dont substitute speed for quality. That was my biggest problem, I would get all nervouse and try to just play as many notes as possible. Just think of the melody and what you would do to make it better. If you doubt yourself you will fail, and when ALL else fails just play Mary Had a Little Lamb, its easy and at least it will get a chuckle out of somebody.

Peace&Love
Travis"Evill"Powell

Love the Mary Little Lamb Idea ill probably just use that thought to ease the tension thanks
just relax. i think we all have a sense of nervousness/excitement/fear. its all the same thing, it all depends on how you react to it. i havent performed in a while, but everytime the worst part was waiting. after about a minute on stage, i feel at home. is this your first time performing? i dont think the nervousness/excitement/fear ever goes away. not for 5 ppl, not for 500,000. its always gonna be there.
just keep it simple, and don't panic. you are obviously ready to perform.

on the improv just keep it simple, most of the people watching probably aren't musical so if you make a mistake they probably wont notice. just don't stress over it
When I do sound check, to loosen my self up, as well as my fingers, I play the Super Mario Theme song. The crowd gets a kick, and I can laugh a bit when people recognize it and cheer.

So just warm up with something fun, and it will relax you.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Nerves are almost always a symptom of under-preparation. If you've done your homework, you'll go fine. Also if you know the first song inside-out it should go well, and the nerves will just drain away.

In terms of good improv on stage, it's just a manner of practice, on stage. The first time will never be "perfect" as such. I noticed early on that I was gripping the fretboard a little too tight during performances and that was affecting my playing. Being aware of little things like this and being able to address them will help you in the long term.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I used to have this problem, then I realized that nobody really cares if you mess up because they probably can't do it any better, if they can play at all! unless your playing for a bunch of guitarists, then that doesn't really work...
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Yeah, he was just using some byzantine heptatonic-jew scale
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
dude, you're playing jazz; so everyone in your band will just knod approvingly IF you'd play a "wrong" note (if there is such a thing in jazz, <play with feeling) so the audience (the 10% that really knows something about music and notices it) will think you're using some strange foreign scale, like eg some byzantine heptatonic-jew scale (like the guy above me stated )

oh, and when you play a mistake, just play it again, the crowd will think it's on purpose
I see this thread is pretty much done, but I wanted to add on about the playing a wrong note - I've found that if you hit a bad note, and then work it into the solo so that it sounds good it can be really cool, and even musicians will think you did it on purpose as long as you don't make an oh shit face and pause. just turn that note into the beginning of a chromatic run ending on a chord tone, or play it again slightly syncopated before slowly bending up to a good note, etc. just use it to build tension before releasing it by playing a good note.