hey guys,

I think I've got a grounding problem with my guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Custom).
My amp is a Vox AC15VR.

At higher volumes you can clearly hear an annoying high-pitched buzz, that completely goes away, when I touch any of the strings or any metal part of the guitar. It's on every pickup position.
The only case where it gets louder is, when I touch the metal of the tone switch
(could this be an indicator that the problem lies in there?).

When I roll back the volume knob, it gets even worse (except when it's on 0 of course).

I tried another amp, still the same, but somehow quieter in comparision to the overall volume, I don't really know why (it's a cheap ass noname 30w amp, which is alot smaller than my Vox). But the problem shows exactly the same characteristics.

I looked inside the guitar and all the solder joints seem to be ok.
any help?
well, i have the same guitar and its 100% dead quiet. but, every guitar is different.

that is because because when you touch the strings, you act as a ground. are you sure the bridge is properly grounded inside the guitar?
My schecter has developed this prob too.... i dont hear it at home through my x3L but at church through my x3L it will buzz the same as you describe and touchin the knob and or strings will remedy it, i thought it was all the lighting .......... i tried to switch the ground/lift thing switch on the box that i plug into, it was no help ............ sounds like its time for me to get a new guitar (any excuse will do!!!!)

Im itchin for a G&L anyway
Quote by Mazuelon
hey guys,

I think I've got a grounding problem with my guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Custom).
My amp is a Vox AC15VR.

At higher volumes you can clearly hear an annoying high-pitched buzz, that completely goes away, when I touch any of the strings or any metal part of the guitar. It's on every pickup position.
The only case where it gets louder is, when I touch the metal of the tone switch
(could this be an indicator that the problem lies in there?).

When I roll back the volume knob, it gets even worse (except when it's on 0 of course).

I tried another amp, still the same, but somehow quieter in comparision to the overall volume, I don't really know why (it's a cheap ass noname 30w amp, which is alot smaller than my Vox). But the problem shows exactly the same characteristics.

I looked inside the guitar and all the solder joints seem to be ok.
any help?

check these connections and cross your fingers that they are the problem.

take off the jack and make sure that the 2 wires are still connected well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah I am also seeing forward to buy a Strat since a few weeks, so maybe this was a sign lol.

But seriously I think I've found the problem. With a cable of the tone switch which is soldered to another one, when I move it so that the solder joint touches the wood, the buzz gets alot less. Also when I move the cable it crackles. I think the unisolated part of the cable also looks a little bit tattered.

Can I just solder the unisolated part of the mentioned cable and see if it gets better?

/edit: sry jj1565, I was still writing my post and did not see yours until now. But I have checked the jack and it seemed ok.
Last edited by Mazuelon at May 25, 2010,
what ever the problem it cant be a hard fix ................. im going to check mine out later too, though its funny i dont hear it at home...... prob cause im monitoring at a lower volume.
Quote by Mazuelon
yeah I am also seeing forward to buy a Strat since a few weeks, so maybe this was a sign lol.

But seriously I think I've found the problem. With a cable of the tone switch which is soldered to another one, when I move it so that the solder joint touches the wood, the buzz gets alot less. Also when I move the cable it crackles. I think the unisolated part of the cable also looks a little bit tattered.

Can I just solder the unisolated part of the mentioned cable and see if it gets better?

/edit: sry jj1565, I was still writing my post and did not see yours until now. But I have checked the jack and it seemed ok.

yes, make sure the cable is still good. a lot of times, that's going to cause the noise you're talking about.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by tone-cat
what ever the problem it cant be a hard fix ................. im going to check mine out later too, though its funny i dont hear it at home...... prob cause im monitoring at a lower volume.

yea, I didn't hear it at first either, cause either the volume was always too low or I was touching the strings all the time when not playing. I don't even know how long the problem exists.

You said you play live at church, be very careful, because when you stand near a microphone e.g., I think you can get shocked, if your guitar is ungrounded.
Quote by Mazuelon
yea, I didn't hear it at first either, cause either the volume was always too low or I was touching the strings all the time when not playing. I don't even know how long the problem exists.

You said you play live at church, be very careful, because when you stand near a microphone e.g., I think you can get shocked, if your guitar is ungrounded.

yeah funny how i cant hear it at home.. im using high quality monitors and head phones and nothing . its got to be from all the lights and mics on stage ........ oh and crappy stock pups
Quote by tone-cat
yeah funny how i cant hear it at home.. im using high quality monitors and head phones and nothing . its got to be from all the lights and mics on stage ........ oh and crappy stock pups

When I move near my laptop it also buzzes like hell. Guitarists back in the 60s or 70s must have had it better, cause there weren't so many electromagnetic waves in the air lol.