Hey.

So I've tried a few things out. I've put a distortion pedal after my first one for a boost, I got a crap load of noise, nothing usable. I used a volume pedal, seemed to fiddely and not enough boost.

I've got a gig on the 11th of June. I may be able to borrow a multi-effects unit, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas, how to quite cheaply, get a solo boost?

Current rig:

Epiphone SG G400 Custom/Fender 50's Strat > Korg Pitchblack > Crybaby 535Q > Digitech Whammy > EHX Big Muff Pi > Boss CE5 > Boss DD6.

Thanks
If you're on a budget, try and get hold of a used Boss GE-7 Equaliser and boost the mids, this will help your sound cut through the mix.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
If your amp doesn't have an effects loop, I'd agree a mid boost is a good option. Backing off the gain for the rhythm might help too.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I have a an MXR Custom Audio Electronics Linde Driver/Booster in my effects loop. It works like a second master volume! It only increases the volume, no noise no distortion.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
I have a an MXR Custom Audio Electronics Linde Driver/Booster in my effects loop. It works like a second master volume! It only increases the volume, no noise no distortion.

The MXR CAE Line Driver? I've heard many good things about that pedal. I'd have one by now, if I wasn't busy wasting my money on bloody fuzzes.
The poor mans solution would be to keep the volume on your guitar down a little and then turn it up when you need the boost.

Although you may be better if you can get a pedal in time for your gig.

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Rolling the volume down makes it clean up a lot. Roll it down so it doesn't clean up too much means there's no real boost?

As for boosts, my effects loop on my amp is crap. And the amp I'll be using on the night, well, I'm not sure how good it is, seems good, but I'm doing 2 songs so wouldn't be worth plugging in for that, but long term could work.
Really depends on what you need. Some good options are:

An EQ. You can basically put together a separate lead channel that will be louder, and alter the tone to suit lead. Check out the MXR 10 band

You can also get a clean boost. This will just increase your decibel output, preserving your original tone. I use a Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso, and it works really well.
electro harmonix LPB-1 (linear power booster). can be used on clean to then naturally overdrive the amp, or just boost anything in general. 40 bucks.

or, if you like teh boost your getting now, get a noise gate to cut the noise but retain the intended sound.
Quote by forsaknazrael
A volume pedal can only cut volume, won't boost it.

I was under the impression that active volume pedals (the kind you have to run power through) were able to boost volume. Passive volume pedals obviously would not, as they are nothing more than a pot in a metal case.
Quote by imicius
I was under the impression that active volume pedals (the kind you have to run power through) were able to boost volume. Passive volume pedals obviously would not, as they are nothing more than a pot in a metal case.

Like this?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-VP-Junior-25K-Active-Volume-Pedal-?sku=152108
no, it's just a volume pedal for active pickups.
Quote by forsaknazrael

No, that's just a passive pedal with a different pot for active pickups. I could've sworn I saw a few when I was shopping for a volume pedal, but they were slightly out of my price range.

EDIT: I think this was it.
Last edited by imicius at May 25, 2010,
Behringer PB100. Cheap as chips, usable tone, clean(ish) boost. put that at the end of your board/in the fx loop and there you are. it doesn't give more gain though, just a straigt up boost with some EQ.
About the volume pedal, I think I woreded it wrong. I meant I turned my amp up to solo volume, then rocked it back for rhythm. Then when I wanted to solo, push it forwards, get the right level.

I would like the MXR 10 band really. Seems versatile enough.

Anyone got a spare £100 lying around? :P