Sorry i didnt take a pic before i gutted the cab, but here she is.

took me under an hour to gut it, cut it, spray the bottom and put stoppers underneath. really easy and went smooth
Attachments:
6505 modded.jpg
Was this very hard to do? I want to make my 5150 212 into just a head. Do you require a lot of experience doing this kind of thing, or should I just go at it with no prior experience?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
It wasn't that hard. I've had no previous experience modding amps.
It was basically a unscrew, gut and cut.
I think the hardest part was using the effort to unscrew all the screws but heres what i did.

1. Unscrew the back and take it off. it might be sticky, so use a flat head screwdriver to pry it out.
2. unscrew the board the speakers are connected to. this will just pop out easily after unhooking the speaker wires (no they aren't soldered).
3. unscrew the back panel where the tubes are, disconnect the speaker wire from the amp (its just a standard jack so it comes out easy).
4. Draw a line where you want to cut.
5. Cut with an electric saw, as straight as possible.
6. cover the leather with tape, and spray the bare wood black.
7. attach rubber stoppers to the bottom. (these cost like 2 bucks each)

Thats it. Another thing i did was took the little corners from the bottom of the cab and screwed them onto the corners of the 'head'.
Its really clean and neat now, and looks unique and awesome since the dials are at the back unlike the actual 6505 head.
+ the advantage of it being 60 watts is that it doesnt need to be cranked as loud to sound its best
Also I'm turning the cab into a 2x12 cab which i can cart to small gigs and band practise which saves carting the marshall cab around
Gear:
LTD deluxe MH-1000
Ibanez Universe 777bk
Gibson Les paul standard

Ibanez Tubescreamer ts-9.

Peavey 6505 head.

Marshall 4x12 cab with V/30s

Check out my band: www.myspace.com/crownusthieves
Hmmm....did it make it much lighter than before? I'm thinking of doing this to my Laney AOR if it saves some weight.
Sweet dude, thanks for the step by step. I'll ask my old man for some help but the way you explained it it seems like I can do it all myself. Did you add plastic corners to the bottom corners?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Holy shit yes, seriously, it's less than half the weight.
That's another reason i did this. My back couldn't handle carrying it around, it weighed so much.
It's so much more portable now
Gear:
LTD deluxe MH-1000
Ibanez Universe 777bk
Gibson Les paul standard

Peavey 6505 head.

Quote by peterepeat
That's another reason i did this. My back couldn't handle carrying it around, it weighed so much.

Ooooo....I might just need to do this...

Can I ask? Did you just nail some wood to the bottom of the head? As the way I imagine it is there would be a big hole at the bottom of it once you cut the thing in two. Am I right?
There isn't a big hole, there is a piece of board underneath the amp. But I had to put little wooden supports underneath to attach the stoppers.
Gear:
LTD deluxe MH-1000
Ibanez Universe 777bk
Gibson Les paul standard

Peavey 6505 head.

Thanks denied, and is there really any difference in the sound? I haven't really played a head to know if there is haha.

And yeah, i did but im going to make a top for it.
Gear:
LTD deluxe MH-1000
Ibanez Universe 777bk
Gibson Les paul standard

Peavey 6505 head.

Quote by denied
That looks fantastic. I like the sound of the combos a lot more than the 5150 head. I was thinking of doing this with mine.

How are you turning the bottom into a 212? Didn't you cut the top off??

because we all know wood is only gotten through the purchase of something already made of it
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by peterepeat

That's what you get for being a little scenefag Peter

Quote by peterepeat
Thanks denied, and is there really any difference in the sound? I haven't really played a head to know if there is haha.

And yeah, i did but im going to make a top for it.

The heads are biased wrong for some reason. Because it's a cathode biased amp, no one ever fixes that to take the amp out of crossover distortion. The combos sound great.

Quote by ash_attack
because we all know wood is only gotten through the purchase of something already made of it

My aren't you quick and snappy You must be super smart too!

I was trying to get a better idea of exactly where he made the cut, the pictures aren't the clearest.
Quote by denied
The heads are biased wrong for some reason. Because it's a cathode biased amp, no one ever fixes that to take the amp out of crossover distortion. The combos sound great.

My aren't you quick and snappy You must be super smart too!

I was trying to get a better idea of exactly where he made the cut, the pictures aren't the clearest.

your username and the word below it go hand in hand
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
its okay
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
haha i made the cut right where the cab meets the bottom panel, if that makes sense? and yeah i used the metal corners from the bottom of the amp and attached them to where i cut the head.
Gear:
LTD deluxe MH-1000
Ibanez Universe 777bk
Gibson Les paul standard

Peavey 6505 head.

okay so i went to gig with this thing today, and i turned the amp up past 3 and i got this weird gurgling noise. i dont know what to do

EDIT: fixed it. stock ruby tubes had carked it, got some JJ's now it works wonders
Gear:
LTD deluxe MH-1000
Ibanez Universe 777bk
Gibson Les paul standard

Peavey 6505 head.

Last edited by peterepeat at Jun 11, 2010,
are the combo amps of the 6505 or 5150 switchable between 4, 8 and 16 ohms? i cant tell if it does or not in the back
It doesn't have a switch. Stock speakers are a pair of 8 ohm speakers wired it series for a total of 16 ohms. When you plug in an external cab (minimum 16 ohm) it automatically switches and runs everything at 8 ohms. I converted my combo into a head and run a 16 ohm cab. Not sure if it would be OK to run an 8 ohm cab.