Hi guys, i am new in this forum and also new in playing electric bass, been thinking of buying 1 new bass to start out but don't really know which to choose. Hope u guys are willing to help me out thanks.
So today i when to Bentley music today to try out a few basses, the basses i like best are.....

1. Squier Fender vintage modified jazz bass, i like the looks and feel very much, already ask the staff there to reserved 1 for me if they got any new stock, but not sure when the new stock will be arriving, waited for almost 1 month, not much patience, thinking of getting other basses.

2. Ibanez sr600, the staff at bentley told me that sr600 can play alot variety of sound, from rock to jazz. I like the feel of it too, but the natural timber body is not really my type, so do u guys think that i should just care about the sound and don't look at my bass so much? Or is there any other series that can nearly compare to this, i can't find much review for this sr600, pls give some opinions tq.

3. Ibanez EDB550, like the look n feel but dono about the sound.

4. Yamaha RBX374, this i quite like the look of it, but alot people said its a beginner bass, what do u guys think?

I'm just a beginner trying to buy a bass, i have music background but i never play or hold a normal guitar b4. I listed the bass above because i like the looks and also the feel of it. Can u guys tell me which bass i should choose if i like playing those japanese anime rock, and i also like jazz very much like norman brown....will also appreciate if u guys can give some other options, that music store only have ibanez sr series n squier, yamaha. I want to choose a bass that can last me for many years in terms of sound quality. I am very serious about starting out bass, so i don't want a beginner bass to start out with. Please give me some opinions. Thanks and don't flame, thanks again.
Quote by streetrat
1. Squier Fender vintage modified jazz bass, i like the looks and feel very much, already ask the staff there to reserved 1 for me if they got any new stock, but not sure when the new stock will be arriving, waited for almost 1 month, not much patience, thinking of getting other basses.

2. Ibanez sr600, the staff at bentley told me that sr600 can play alot variety of sound, from rock to jazz. I like the feel of it too, but the natural timber body is not really my type, so do u guys think that i should just care about the sound and don't look at my bass so much? Or is there any other series that can nearly compare to this, i can't find much review for this sr600, pls give some opinions tq.

3. Ibanez EDB550, like the look n feel but dono about the sound.

4. Yamaha RBX374, this i quite like the look of it, but alot people said its a beginner bass, what do u guys think?

they are all very solid basses. You really cant go wrong with Ibanez or the VM series Squiers. I've never played a yamaha so i wont comment on those.

Out of those choices i would go with either the SR600 or the Jazz, but don't let that get in the way of your own opinion.

Choose the one that feels right.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I agree with the above poster. Either the SR600 or the Jazz bass.

The one thing I personally like about the SR600 over the Squier are the Bartolini pickups.
It would be a tough call for me. I like them both. But after having basses with both Bartolini and Jazz pickups, I'd probably go for the Barts.
I would go for the Fender or Ibanez. They're both solid basses. So go for which ever one you like best.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
considering the squires half the price and getting rated equally, I would go with that haha
the squire VM is the way to go in my opinion. solidly built instrument timeless tone, easy to find mods for it so when you want to m,ove to bigger and better things you can just upgrade.
no sir away a papaya war is on
i have already ask them to reserved the squier VM jbass for me if there is any new stock, most of the music place i went to are out off stock, and they can't tell me when is the next shipment coming, probably end of this year.

So thinking of changing to another option, Ibanez sr600, i like the feel of it, but the wood finish is not really my type, so u guys think i should just buy the sr600 just for the sound of it? Or continue praying for the squier VM? Any other suggestions other then this 2?The bentley music i went to don't have much choices of bass, only squier, fender, ibanez, thats all. Thanks for all the opinion.
i don't really like ordering online, don't know who to trust. And also i living in malaysia, whole malaysia is almost out of stock for the squier VM, i know because i went to Bentley music the distributor HQ, also malaysia don't handle the package carefully.

So thinking about ibanez sr600, don't know anything about this bass. i read all the specification for this bass but don't understand what it means or is the part good or not. Can anyone do a simple review for me on this bass?y can't i find much info review for this bass?

thanks in advance.
Squier vintage modified jazz bass vs Ibanez sr600, can squier really compare ibanez sr600? some people told me that squier VM is a low end, and ibanez sr600 is quite high end, is it true?
I would recommend the Squier VM. Awesome bass, very versatile, solid and reliable. Im so jealous that you could be getting such a good bass as your first one :P
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
They're all fantastic basses. I'll actually put in a good word for the EDB550. Ergodyne's are fantastic basses, some of the comfiest out there IMO. Both Ibanez will be of higher quality then the Squier or the Yamaha, although don't discount either the VM or the RBX, they're simply in a different tier if you will.

You can't really go wrong with any of those choices
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks for all the info, will be getting the squier VM if i can get my hands on it. If not will be trying to get the ibanez sr600, although i really don't like the color(NTF). Anything to teach me b4 i get the bass?what to start practice?
Personally I'd go with the Ibanez if you really want to start right away. The SR600 is a solid choice regardless of colour, like everyone said. All of them are solid choices but if you can't wait and you wanna play straight away look up some tabs for your favourite songs and learn theory. A good site for theory is studybass.com. Pretty much just pick it up and play and enjoy.
I say Ibanez. It has very good sound range.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Bought my first bass, a Yamaha RBX374 one month ago, and I strongly recommend it. Doesn't cost much, but still a solid piece of equipment..
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
The dealer already confirm that they got my squier vintage modified j-bazz, will get my bass on this weekend. Now i need a tuner and also a metronome, some people recommended me ibanez CU-40 chromatic, is there anymore good chromatic tuner and also quite cheap? What metronome do u guys recommend?

I saw some youtube yesterday, and notice that some squier VM j-bass have a metal piece hanging over the strings like a bridge. is it custom?what is it for?

http://www.rd.mmtr.or.jp/~kamobmc/fender.vintage.nl33551/fender.vintage.1965.JB.MH.a.jpg
for looks, really. Older fenders had pickup and bridge covers(they isolate the best tonal places to play IMO)...and fender sells them for people looking for that "look."

edit: Just looked at that picture...love that candy red.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Last edited by aceofbass131 at May 26, 2010,
Also, I've found that the bridge and pickup covers can make a handy anchor, in addition to making you're Fender that much sexier
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
At that price range, you could get yourself a made in Mexico Fender, or better yet, buy used.

Anyway, when it comes to tuners I would recommend anything by Korg. It's inexpensive, easy to use, easy to read, and the battery last forever. When it comes to metronome, if you're going to practice next to your PC then there's a lot of free metronome you can use.
Last edited by Skeletomania at May 27, 2010,