Guys, I can get a Soloist for €1500 (1800 dollars). It's a model with EMGs. I cant find that model on the site, all the SL2's have SD's there. Should I get it for that price? It's made in USA.
Yeah
you do know, you can get much better guitars than a soloist for $1800.....
First of all it has an alder body, the floyd rose will piss you off when you play lamb of god and children of bodom
I've got a Jackson DKMGT which I use for dropped tunings. Note that I live in Europe, so a USA Jackson Soloist is quite rare. What other guitars could I get that are better for heavy metal?
Yeah
Is it the USA series or the Pro series? I guess the ltds are *better, or schecter if you have big enough hands.

*better for the price
well, check out all the guitars in your price range I'm assuming you go from total headbanging mosh pit metal to maybe the side of light rock. Look for a guitar like the Jackson but here are some things to look for that tells you quality.

Body : Rare wood body, mahogany is common. Try not to go for alder and basswood, you don't get the tight lows. If you find maple kiss the guitar and say I love you.
Neck : For the neck maple will do, ebony fretboard would be nice. Try lookin for neck thru construction so you get nice sustain.
Pups : don't worry about it its not hard to change.
Bridge : Whatever floats your boat.

Thats about it, if your worried about not findin any guitars, get an eBay account and check out all the international sellers.
Oh yea just cus its US made only makes it a tiny bit better, Exploiting Asian workers does practically the same job. Try out diff companies Jackson isn't the only good one.

But hey, I'm just a 16 year old with 10 guitars, so my advice may just be shit
Thanks for your input! I don't know a whole lot about really expensive guitars, but so far, I really like that Soloist. It seems a lot of guitars have alder bodies. My dinky has alder, too.

@imbaguitar: I believe is the USA guitar. The advertiser said it's a USA SL2H.
Yeah
Yes it is USA soloist once I was interested in buying it If you look at the neck it wil say that Made in USA. I would say buy it if you can afford it. Great guitar!

p.s.: The reason why I didnt buy it is because I needed to make a budget cut meaning I bought a $800 ESP LTD DELUXE instead look at my sig

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Hi, I'm Belgian, so I know how the prices are over here. I have a SL2H myself for a long stime now, and i also paid 1500€. There are a few things though:
- For that price the guitar must be as good as new. No scratches, no dings, good frets, ...
- It has to be a see thru finish. Solid colored soloists go for 1300-1400 if it's in top condition.

I never saw a soloist with EMG's though. Maybe you could ask the seller if he put them in himself. Be aware that if he did, the wiring might be screwed up, so test befor you buy. Also check out where he put the 9V battery cavity. It could be that he routed out a cavity himself, and that it is done sloppily.

Nevermind the utter stupid remarks about alder not getting the lows and being inferior. I prefer alder over mahogany and basswood, and it has great lows, and cuts trough the mix like no other wood. Eitherway, with the EMG's you won't notice the difference anyway, it'll sound like EMG.

So, to answer the question: yes, 1500 is the price, but it isn't a steal. Make sure the guitar is in excellent condition and that it has an awesome top. Otherwise you might want to lower the price with a (few) hundred.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
not thread jacking but can someone explain the difference between the SL1 and the SL2h?except for the pups..and does "2h" in sl2h stand for 2 humbuckers?
Quote by archenemyfan
not thread jacking but can someone explain the difference between the SL1 and the SL2h?except for the pups..and does "2h" in sl2h stand for 2 humbuckers?

That is the exact only difference. And it indeed does mean 2 hummies.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Yeah I believe so, the SL1 has a different pickup configuration.

LP_CL, it's good that we are neighbours, haha. The guitar itself is simply black, not a trans finish (which is kind of a pity but it is a second hand guitar, so one should be less picky I suppose). The seller is asking 1575... Now It is sliiiiightly above my budget. Would it be wise to for this guitar, or should I look at a guitar with the same specs but a cheaper price?
Yeah
Dude do what you want, I'm just sayin that before you buy your guitar, check out the whole guitar not just the brand and pups. If you feel like its a good price for a great guitar, just buy it....
1500 for a black one is too much. I'd say 1300 maximum. If he doesn't agree, i'd seriously considder buying a Horizon or MII.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I've been looking at the ESP Horizon FR II. I like it a lot as well, and it is €1506,- new... so now I can choose between a 2nd hand (as good as new) USA Jackson or a first hand ESP Horizon. Which is "the best"? I am of course going to try them out in person.

By the way, the Jackson comes with a nice case. And I'm not sure whether the ESP comes with one.
Yeah
Last edited by TehDutchDude at May 25, 2010,
Quote by TehDutchDude
I've been looking at the ESP Horizon FR II. I like it a lot as well, and it is €1506,- new... so now I can choose between a 2nd hand (as good as new) USA Jackson or a first hand ESP Horizon. Which is "the best"? I am of course going to try them out in person.

Definatly the second hand -as good as new- Jackson. I own both. The Jackson wins hands down.

And yes, the ESP comes in a hardshell case too.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 25, 2010,
Quote by TehDutchDude

By the way, the Jackson comes with a nice case. And I'm not sure whether the ESP comes with one.

I believe that once you get to this sort of price range, any guitar you find will probably be really nicely made and it comes down to your own personal opinion as to which one's best even more so than at cheaper price ranges.

And yeah, ignore that remark about being able to get much better guitars than the Soloist for the same price, that's just a complete load of rubbish! Jackson USA's are fantastic guitars, but as always any guitar is only worth what you're willing to pay for it.

I agree with LP_CL, the asking price is a bit too much for a used Soloist, but if it's in good condition then I wouldn't say it's a "bad" deal. It's just that you could probably find one cheaper than that. Still, if you can play it and think it's worth the 1500 Euros then it's a good buy!
Tbh, if the asking price is 1575, i think you should be able to get it at 1350. Which is fairly decent. The seller always counts in a knockdown. I think this seller might settle for 1350, maybe even 1300. Start bidding at 1300, and raise up to 1350, maybe (if the guitar is in EXCELLENT condition) up to 1400. But really, higher that that would be overpriced for a black one. Don't for get that the see thru's cost 300€ more new! (2250€ for the black, 2599€ for the seethru's)

Now that i looked up the new prices, i realised it's not a good time to buy a USA guitar. The Euro is quite weak compared to the dollar. These guitars used to be 1900-2300 2 months ago. Now it's 300 more. Try to score a second hand Mayones. Or another European brand (Vigier, LAG, RAN). If you buy a MIA or MIJ guitar, you'll pay too much at this moment.

Or you can always wait untill the Euro gets back to it's normal level.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 25, 2010,
Yeah I am gonna see if I can knock the price down a bit. Thing is, I fell in love with the Soloist though, I am so anxious to try it out! MAJOR GAS

Good thing the guy lives like 5 miles away from my house, haha!
Yeah
The SL2H doesn't come with EMG pups as far as I know. Not standard anyway. It's a beautiful guitar but once you start getting to that price I'd be looking seriously at a Caparison as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Nah the guy had them put in by Jackson. He told me the pots were properly replaced and that the battery has been well placed. Sounds like a modification well taken care of. And I happen to like the sound of EMGs
Yeah
Well most second hand soloists go for around the same price over here, haven't spotted any trans soloists either. So I'd say go for it if you fell in love with the geet. Better than kicking yourself over after ending up with a value piece you don't really care about.
I knocked the price down to 1500 and my girlfriend is gonna give me a small amount of money so it is probably gonna be like 1450 for me (best gf ever) I'm gonna check it out Wednesday
Yeah