I'm having problems with strings, or perhaps I am just wanting to have a problem with them, but due to my local salesmen being of no use; I come to this forum to ask what type of strings to use.

About:

I play a Dean DB Razorback, and use mainly C Standard and D Standard
I don't like it when they snap in between tunings, and I don't like it when their uber tight or uber loose.

I play mostly around the technical/death/melodic.

Is there a happy medium somewhere, or am I just trying to be too technical?
What gauge strings are you using? There's got to be some that should be right for C/D tunings.
I like my D'Addario Regular light gauge (10-46 I think). I play them in drop C and they feel good.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
25.5 scale length i presume? I think 10-52 thin top and heavy bottom would fit you, brand doesnt matter.
Well I use Ernie Ball Regular 10-46 and they are pretty good, and go to a luthier and have your guitar's innotation checked

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
1. get a better guitar
2. use 11 or 12 gauge strings if they snap easily on that guitar, the 10 gauge might still be too small if your playing in drop tunings. all droptuned metal bands use atleast 11's/
3. try using Elixers, they are a little pricey but youre strings will last much longer and you will rarely break one. In the last 3 years of using elixers i don't think i've broken more than one or two strings.
Quote by handbanana
1. get a better guitar
2. use 11 or 12 gauge strings if they snap easily on that guitar, the 10 gauge might still be too small if your playing in drop tunings. all droptuned metal bands use atleast 11's/
3. try using Elixers, they are a little pricey but youre strings will last much longer and you will rarely break one. In the last 3 years of using elixers i don't think i've broken more than one or two strings.

Isn't having fresh strings a good thing? :O

They don't snap easy, I believe I over play it, [5-7 hours per day]

Secondly I don't know where all you guys are getting the "Drop tuning" from, I said specifically C standard and D standard...

The strings skinny top heavy bottoms are the strings I've been using longer than any other string, and this isn't just about how often they break, it's about tone and shit...
Quote by pete-c
What gauge strings are you using? There's got to be some that should be right for C/D tunings.

I've tried Ernie Ball standard 11's, skinny top heavy bottom, boomers, etc.
Quote by bloodoath6136
Secondly I don't know where all you guys are getting the "Drop tuning" from, I said specifically C standard and D standard...

Well technically C and D are dropped tunings, since guitar standard tuning is E

Again, what gauge are you using? With C or D you'll probably want to be looking at 11s or higher.
Last edited by pete-c at May 25, 2010,
Quote by bloodoath6136
Isn't having fresh strings a good thing? :O

They don't snap easy, I believe I over play it, [5-7 hours per day]

The strings skinny top heavy bottoms are the strings I've been using longer than any other string, and this isn't just about how often they break, it's about tone and shit...

C standard and D standard are drop tunings.
You should change you're strings for every 6-10 hours of play.
Quote by handbanana
C standard and D standard are drop tunings.
You should change you're strings for every 6-10 hours of play.

C Standard and D Standard are not 'drop' tunings. They are lower tunings, but they arent drop tunings. Drop A# and Drop C are the respective drop tunings for C and D Standard.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
any tuning lower than standard is considered drop tuning, even if it doesn't have the word "drop" in the title. Because you are infant dropping the tuning down. Maybe I should have said downtuning?
You might want to look into Elixir's if you play that much. They last longer, so I've read. I've not tried them yet, but I will soon.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Barbed wire will solve the problem!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by ninjaapirate
I like my D'Addario Regular light gauge (10-46 I think). I play them in drop C and they feel good.

IMO, 10-46 is too light for Drop C, you should be using at least 11-52s.