The Orange PPC 212 closed back with v-30's is like £400 or more I think, yet the Harley Benton 212 is alot cheaper - I think it's like half that price or something. Would I be better off with the orange PPC 212 in the long run or Harley Benton for saving money?
I plan on getting the Harley Benton 212V and then use the speakers from it when I build my own cab so you could always do that instead.
Quote by circlethesky
I plan on getting the Harley Benton 212V and then use the speakers from it when I build my own cab so you could always do that instead.

Why don't you just buy two Celestion V30s on their own?

On topic: I personally don't think that the Orange can be that much better, both the cabinets have the same speakers in, both are made from plywood, both are closed back, bothe have handles on the side... I mean the Orange looks alot cooler and it may be wired better or whatever, but it's definatly not worth £337 more than the Harley Benton. Orange's prices are a joke if you ask me, especially the cabs.

I would buy the Harley.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Why don't you just buy two Celestion V30s on their own?

Well if I am happy with the Harley Benton I might not build my own. If I do build my own I don't plan on building it for a while but I guess I could buy 2 speakers when I do so then I'd have 2 cabs.

Do you know any sites that sell V30s in the UK?

Quote by FuzzLove

On topic: I personally don't think that the Orange can be that much better, both the cabinets have the same speakers in, both are made from plywood, both are closed back, bothe have handles on the side... I mean the Orange looks alot cooler and it may be wired better or whatever, but it's definatly not worth £337 more than the Harley Benton. Orange's prices are a joke if you ask me, especially the cabs.

I would buy the Harley.

I think the Orange would be better but I don't think it would be worth that much more. I've played a Mesa Dual Recto through that Orange and it sounded awesome but I haven't played the Harley Benton yet.
I see what you mean, I thought you meant that you were going to buy the Harley and just take it apart as soon as you got it :P

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=celestion+vintage+30&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=-iH8S8_1Foyy0gT4-ZnsAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQrQQwAA

^ There's a list of websites selling V30s in the UK.

Yeah, the Orange will probably sound abit better, I've played through the Orange a few times and it sounded really good. Not played through the Harley Benton either, I don't think many people have haha. It's definatly not going to be worth £337 pound more though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I found a video of some guy on YouTube playing a 6260 through a Harley Benton and it sounded really good, although I'm buying the 6262.
no idea, but i mean harley benton and orange aren't your only two options either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Andrew/WK
I found a video of some guy on YouTube playing a 6260 through a Harley Benton and it sounded really good, although I'm buying the 6262.

Do those Peavey amps have good cleans? I know the distortion is good on them, but I've never heard the cleans.

Yeah, the Orange speaker cabs are just riduculously over-priced.
There are many cabs with V30s in.
Quote by FuzzLove
Do those Peavey amps have good cleans? I know the distortion is good on them, but I've never heard the cleans.

Yeah, the Orange speaker cabs are just riduculously over-priced.
There are many cabs with V30s in.

The 6260/6262 is actually Bugera, a "clone" of Peavey 5150/6505+ heads. The 6262 has actually better cleans than the 6505+ but I rarely ever use the cleans, so it would be kind of a waste for me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
no idea, but i mean harley benton and orange aren't your only two options either.

Yeah there's the Framus one which is a nice middle ground imo for around £250. http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm?sid=cde4a0f0491662d5a51d0c1f3c20ec2d Thats the one

Not tried it though, but it is supposed to be very good, although not quite as good as the Orange
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
In the UK, you can custom order a 2x12 from Matamp for less than the price of the Orange. That's my plan - that way I can get EXACTLY what I want, and it'll cost me less than buying brand.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
Quote by Bleach265
In the UK, you can custom order a 2x12 from Matamp for less than the price of the Orange. That's my plan - that way I can get EXACTLY what I want, and it'll cost me less than buying brand.

How much will that cost you?
Quote by Andrew/WK
The old price was £350 for a 2x12. The NEW price is more expensive. Give Matamp a call (don't be afraid to do it) and ask them directly.

Vintage 30's are a good all-round speaker, but for your amp you may be better off with something else.
Quote by Andrew/WK
The Harley Benton is alot cheaper than that I think. V-30's are great for metal.
Yeah, they are, but so are K100's.

If you're happy with something like the Harley Benton, that's fine. It seems that you are quite sure - which is great, really. But if you want my honest advice, wait, save up a little more and get the "perfect" cabinet. Matamp can offer that.

I see, got confused with the numbers there :P... So they Bugeras are good, cheap clones of the Peaveys?

How do vintage 30s perform for clean sounds? Like, if I was to put a vintage 30 into a fender hot rod combo, would it ruin the cleans?

The Matamp idea is pretty cool, if it's the same company that I'm thinking of, they make all sorts of whacky designs and colours that are worth abit more money.

Still think the Harley is an awsome deal though.
I'll be going with the Harley most likely, £150 is an awesome price instead of a £400 flashy cab.
Quote by Andrew/WK
I'll be going with the Harley most likely, £150 is an awesome price instead of a £400 flashy cab.

Good choice
if your in the UK look at used marshall 1960 4x12's they can go for like £150-200 which is about the same as the harley benton
Quote by FuzzLove

How do vintage 30s perform for clean sounds? Like, if I was to put a vintage 30 into a fender hot rod combo, would it ruin the cleans?

yeah, pretty much. i tried the fancy version which has the v30 stock (it's red or orange or some such guff), and i thought the cleans weren't great. I haven't tried it head to head with the normal version (i have tried the normal version, just not head to head), but the cleans were noticeably a lot worse, i thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, pretty much. i tried the fancy version which has the v30 stock (it's red or orange or some such guff), and i thought the cleans weren't great. I haven't tried it head to head with the normal version (i have tried the normal version, just not head to head), but the cleans were noticeably a lot worse, i thought.

Ahh yeah I've seen an orange one with black stripes on I think, didn't play through it though, and I didn't realise it had a V30 in it.

Cheers for the info man. I just wish the hot rod's sounded as good as they do clean, but also a bit better distorted too.
Quote by Andrew/WK

I was quoted £439, but I asked for Eminence Governer Speakers - slightly more expensive than the standard V30s - but the lot was still cheaper than the Orange one or the Hayden one, which was the other one I was looking at.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
Quote by FuzzLove
Ahh yeah I've seen an orange one with black stripes on I think, didn't play through it though, and I didn't realise it had a V30 in it.

Cheers for the info man. I just wish the hot rod's sounded as good as they do clean, but also a bit better distorted too.

yeah. i mean, there's going to be some compromise as what sounds good clean tends to sound worse distorted and vice-versa, but there are bound to be better all-rounder speakers than either the stock speakers, or v30s. But at the end of the day, the od channels on the HRD just aren't great- the v30 in the one i tried upgraded them from "terrible" to "mediocre". And you lost the nice cleans, which wasn't really worth it if you ask me (especially since if you're buying an HRD you're pretty much buying it for the cleans).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?