So I'm finally beginning to feel comfortable with my guitar and the basic techniques and I've been trying to get into improvisation. On the pentatonics I can rip a pretty decent solo now, but as soon as I try the positions (Dorian, etc.) from UGG it falls apart. It's not that I'm having trouble memorizing the shapes -- it's a chore, don't get me wrong, but not too tough -- it's that when I'm playing them... a lot of notes sound really really "bad". I've checked and rechecked to make sure I'm fretting the right notes, it's not that, I just can't string together a decent solo without hitting a bunch of notes that are supposed to work but don't. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: I just did a quick little run to get some specific problem notes. In Ionian, the second row of frets on the 3rd and 4th strings sound TERRIBLE. There's some others, but those ones really get me because they're some of the easier ones to hit to when I'm in the middle of a solo and they never sound good.
Last edited by pbskl at May 25, 2010,
practice..... You just need to practice with it a bit more. Try realising what note your actaully hitting so it clears up why it sounds weird
Just FYI, Ionian isn't a shape.

Which notes are you having trouble with? Which shapes are you using?

It would be easier if you explained this in a key and gave the notes/frets you struggle with.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Just FYI, Ionian isn't a shape.

Which notes are you having trouble with? Which shapes are you using?

It would be easier if you explained this in a key and gave the notes/frets you struggle with.

Mostly I've been playing around in the Ionian position, I guess I don't know the difference between that and a shape..? So if you're looking at a chart of the Ionian position the second row of frets from the left on the 3rd and 4th strings have been troublesome. Those are just the ones off the top of my head that sound bad though, there's definitely others. Because I'm just kinda playing around with it right now, I'm starting on the first fret, so it's in F. That being said, I thought maybe it was because I was in F that it sounded bad so I tried it off the 5th fret in A and it still sounded off.

I guess there's nothing anyone can really say, I just wanna know if I'm missing something... is the idea that I can play any of the notes indicated on a chart of the Ionian position and it will sound decent/in-key?
Last edited by pbskl at May 25, 2010,
Quote by pbskl
Mostly I've been playing around in the Ionian position, I guess I don't know the difference between that and a shape..? So if you're looking at a chart of the Ionian position the second row of frets from the left on the 3rd and 4th strings have been troublesome. Those are just the ones off the top of my head that sound bad though, there's definitely others. Because I'm just kinda playing around with it right now, I'm starting on the first fret, so it's in F. That being said, I thought maybe it was because I was in F that it sounded bad so I tried it off the 5th fret in A and it still sounded off.

I guess there's nothing anyone can really say, I just wanna know if I'm missing something... is the idea that I can play any of the notes indicated on a chart of the Ionian position and it will sound decent/in-key?

Well, ionian isn't a position... If you're thinking of modes that way, then you're not ready to learn them. In any case, the "normal" use in the uhmm rock scene, is more of scales like ionian scale, mixolydian scale, etc. However, that's also not the true meaning of a mode.

If you REALLY wanna learn them, first: learn about the major scale, chords, INTERVALS, etc. Then visit the "all about MODES" sticky on Musician's Talk.

But back on topic... the "positions" you're reading are shapes of the Major scale, they all sound the same... since they're the same scale.
Now, that's the most used sound by far on western music so I'll have to ask: is your guitar tuned? XD
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Last edited by Kurai X at May 25, 2010,
Quote by Kurai X
Well, ionian isn't a position... If you're thinking of modes that way, then you're not ready to learn them. In any case, the "normal" use in the uhmm rock scene, is more of scales like ionian scale, mixolydian scale, etc. However, that's also not the true meaning of a mode.

If you REALLY wanna learn them, first: learn about the major scale, chords, INTERVALS, etc. Then visit the "all about MODES" sticky on Musician's Talk.

But back on topic... the "positions" you're reading are shapes of the Major scale, they all sound the same... since they're the same scale.
Now, that's the most used sound by far on western music so I'll have to ask: is your guitar tuned? XD

Hahaha, yes, yes it is. Anyways, I guess I'll keep playing around with it and see what happens... or maybe I'll just stick to pentatonic soloing for now until I'm a bit more advanced.
Modes have nothing to do with your problem
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Modes have nothing to do with your problem

More detail would be fantastic. Such as.. what is my problem?