Page 1 of 6
Question I asked on another forum. Anyway...

All hell broke loose here when the comedian Frankie Boyle (of Mock The Week) made jokes in a live show about Down's Syndrome. He later apologized.

This got me thinking: SHOULD comedians really be subject to criticism if they joke about certain subjects or should anything be fair game?

I'm personally about choice: you can choose to watch or not watch something, and comedians are no different. If they want to attract a certain audience then they should be free to do so and this includes freedom of material.

I also find it hypocritical that you can make a joke about politics, but not about religion, or you can make a joke about football teams but you can't say anything against some celebrities.

If ya don't like it, turn it off!
Agreed. They should be able to say whatever they want, as long as they don't actually mean it seriously, and it was meant to be funny.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I guess so, as long as the jokes don't result in people accepting the joke as making something bad 'good' by being part of a joke.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Lol, I can't blame the dude. A joke on down syndrome would be so easy..... but still I think he should have the right to say what he wants. Even if that means being a total ASShow
Of course they should.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Should comedians have complete freedom to joke about any subject? Yes. You don't like it --> You don't listen to it. And black humor is the best form of humor!
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
Should they have the freedom? Yes. Does that mean that what they say will always be in good taste? No.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Absolutely, but we did it in The Netherlands and you get a lot of horrible, rude jokes about good people, like jokes about fisting the queen and stuff. I don't like those jokes, but I do like the fact that anyone is allowed to make them whenever he wants.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Since when can you not make jokes about Religion and Celebrities? I see that all the time.

I dunno about anywhere else, but in the UK certainly there's still a LOT of fuss made about jokes on religion.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
This got me thinking: SHOULD comedians really be subject to criticism if they joke about certain subjects or should anything be fair game?
They have been, are, and always will be subject to criticism.

Criticism =/= censoring.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Question I asked on another forum. Anyway...

All hell broke loose here when the comedian Frankie Boyle (of Mock The Week) made jokes in a live show about Down's Syndrome. He later apologized.

I'm personally about choice: you can choose to watch or not watch something, and comedians are no different. If they want to attract a certain audience then they should be free to do so and this includes freedom of material.

I also find it hypocritical that you can make a joke about politics, but not about religion, or you can make a joke about football teams but you can't say anything against some celebrities.

I don't think he should have picked on someone with a mental illness, they can't help it. He just needs to think things through a little bit more.

that's because politics and religion are two different things, and if some celebrities get butt hurt when someone says something bad about them, they need to grow up and get used to people talking about them, that comes with the limelight
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

This.

Comedy is about deriving humor from average, normal occurrences. Some people are/have been really good at it (Richard Pryor, Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Greer Barnes, Dennis Leary, etc.), while others are terrible (to be read: most comedians today).

I mean, Carlos Mencia's been making jokes about mentally challenged people for a while now, and while they all suck, he hasn't really gotten in trouble or anything (which is sad, because his shit is so terrible he should be shot).

It's the same with the more racial of the jokes. If it makes you laugh, that's great, you should laugh because it's funny. It doesn't make you a racist or a bad person, you just understand what the comedian's trying to say. It doesn't make the comedian a bad person either. If you don't like it, change the channel or don't go to his/her show.

People get too offended these days. Too much political correctness is ruining our society by propagating racism, sexism, and ridiculously perfect "moral values."

For fucks sake, it's a joke. If you can't take it like a man (or woman), then get the fuck out the club.
Last edited by halo43 at May 25, 2010,
Quote by red157

No there isn't.
Consider the source, man. Fassa will always rush to judgment.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Dunno what you've been watching...
yes. it's called freedom of speech.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
of course they should but in the real world some things like islam have a double standard, which is terribly lame
I let you get away so cleanly.
Quote by pnkhrdwndr
of course they should but in the real world some things like islam have a double standard, which is terribly lame

'

Not to turn this into a religion debate, but why do you think that there was such a fuss over the banning of Geert Wilder's Fitna film? Because people recognise the right to free speech in Europe.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Well.... I don't believe in censorship... Does that answer your question, Fassa?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by pnkhrdwndr

I don't see how Islam has a double standard. It's either comedians with Islamic family, belong to Islam themselves, or were raised in an Islamic country, making jokes about those countries and Islam, or it's a "rest of the comedic community" making a joke about Islam, which (according to the media) almost always erupts in huge violent protests about how Allah will kill Danish cartoonists etc.

Very little of that latter part is true, of course, but it's the perception that counts.
Quote by Don_Humpador
I don't see how Islam has a double standard. It's either comedians with Islamic family, belong to Islam themselves, or were raised in an Islamic country, making jokes about those countries and Islam, or it's a "rest of the comedic community" making a joke about Islam, which (according to the media) almost always erupts in huge violent protests about how Allah will kill Danish cartoonists etc.

Very little of that latter part is true, of course, but it's the perception that counts.

If I (a Christian) were to get up and make a joke about Islam on TV then you can guarantee I would have death threats made.

If a Muslim comedian did the same, no-one would say anything.
Yes.

No exceptions.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Mock of the Week should not have the freedom to joke about ANYTHING. It's the poor man's version of Whose line is it anyway.
My Spanish Hearts
I agree with most other people in this thread. Say whatever you want, don't watch it if you don't like it.
I think they should be able to say what they want without prosecution.

However, that doesn't mean it isn't in their own interest to keep it appropriate for the audience. If you offend them, chances are you won't get another gig there.

Sorta like logging, yeah you can clear cut the forest this summer but, you kinda ****ed yourself over for next summer.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Quote by uk.mace
The Frankie Boyle case is ridiculous. The woman who complained because she had a child with Down's Syndrome didn't really have a right to complain - you expect that, especially with Frankie Boyle...

The problem here is the thread is asking "Should comedians have complete freedom".

The truth is Frankie Boyle is not a comedian, he is just a cunt.
Quote by SuPaGrAm
I think they should be able to say what they want without prosecution.

However, that doesn't mean it isn't in their own interest to keep it appropriate for the audience. If you offend them, chances are you won't get another gig there.

Sorta like logging, yeah you can clear cut the forest this summer but, you kinda ****ed yourself over for next summer.

Thank you for saying what I couldn't.

Yay for having English as a second language.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
If I (a Christian) were to get up and make a joke about Islam on TV then you can guarantee I would have death threats made.

How many muslim comedians have you ever seen making jokes about islam?

For that matter, how many muslim comedians have you ever seen? Name 5.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

See, I still don't get where you're getting this from.

I'll acknowledge the hypocrisy about depicting Muhammad, but comedians make jokes about various aspects of Islam all the time.