Right, so I love to jam. It makes me happy. With friends, with an audience, or just on my own. I enjoy just making up riffs and solos on the spot.

I do not own an acoustic guitar.

When I am 'jamming', since I am mainly a metal fan, I play heavy, distorted riffs, with fast, melodic solos.

I am hoping to get an acoustic guitar in the near future (in about 2 weeks, as a reward to myself for completing my exams).

Obviously, metal riffs and shredded solos don't sound quite as good on an acoustic guitar.

My question to you: what do I learn for the acoustic guitar? What sort of stuff can I play when 'jamming'?

Any genres, songs, artists, etc. you can think of. So long as they don't have vocals (I can't sing).

Thanks!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
You can carry over the knowledge you have of playing metal over to an acoustic guitar. It might sound weird to say, but go look at a few bluegrass guitarists. I've seen a few of them that can play a lick about as fast as a metal guitarist. Just because you have an acoustic guitar doesn't mean you've got to start playing any slower, the only difference is that if you don't have a string properly fretted, its definitely going to be easier to hear than on a distorted guitar.

One guitarist I love to use as an example of an amazing acoustic player, who still plays faster than most would think you should on an acoustic, is Tim Reynolds. He plays a lot with the Dave Matthews Band, but his solo stuff is absolutely amazing. There are quite a few videos of him playing on YouTube.

As for what you could learn to try and expand your versatility on an acoustic, why not look at the pentatonic scales? Learn a bit of blues and go with that. A big part of what makes acoustic solos so impressive, in my opinion, is the overall "feeling" of the solo. Part of what made blues so popular, again strictly my opinion, is that you can really hear a bit of suffering in some of those licks.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by iband48
One guitarist I love to use as an example of an amazing acoustic player, who still plays faster than most would think you should on an acoustic, is Tim Reynolds. He plays a lot with the Dave Matthews Band, but his solo stuff is absolutely amazing. There are quite a few videos of him playing on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIWSVTaytOw
3:47-4:10
You will go insane.

TS, learn blues and bluegrass inside and out if you want to continue playing fast on an acoustic and actually have it sound decent.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by i_don't_know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIWSVTaytOw
3:47-4:10
You will go insane.

TS, learn blues and bluegrass inside and out if you want to continue playing fast on an acoustic and actually have it sound decent.

I've seen that video before, it really is an amazing thing to watch. It's one of those things I wish I could do, haha.

~iband48's signature
Right, now that I have some inspiration of things to play.. What do I play it on..?

What sort of acoustic do you recommend for me? Please bear in mind I know nearly nothing about them, as I've owned only electrics in the 20 months I've been playing.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Quote by Mr.Feather
Right, now that I have some inspiration of things to play.. What do I play it on..?

What sort of acoustic do you recommend for me? Please bear in mind I know nearly nothing about them, as I've owned only electrics in the 20 months I've been playing.

Depends what kind of sound you're going for.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
I don't really know. That's the thing...
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Quote by Mr.Feather
I don't really know. That's the thing...

Before you even really give a major look into brands or anything like that, I recommend heading to a guitar store and just playing a few different guitars. Play the various body types out there, play a few with different wood combinations, and be sure to play those in various price ranges too.

~iband48's signature
There do seem to be a lot of similar posts on this board....Something along the line of "I am going to buy (or, have just bought) an acoustic guitar. What should I play?"

Gee...Sounds kind of backwards to me... Back when I started pickin' in the mid-seventies, virtually all my friends were musicians of some sort. Singers, guitar players, banjo pickers...
The "folk" scene was still hot.
I wanted to do what everyone else was doing! I wanted to be able to play any of a number of great songs that were floating around at the time. I just needed to invest the time and effort to do so.
Now, it's true that my tastes changed over the years; I'm much more into playing blues on my self-made cigar-box instruments. Still, I pick up my regular guitar daily and work on both songs and technique.