I've only been playing guitar for a year and a half (a year and like 3 months if you want to be technical) and i can play most of eruption by van halen, and parts of cliffs of dover (I'd say the easiest of the hardest songs) is this normal or would it be because i practice guitar for hours of a day?
It's about the hours you put in, not the years. If you put in 5 hours a day you will be much further along than someone that puts in an hour every couple days even if they have played for much longer than you. Wherever you are is what is normal for you.
yeah it's about the time you spend woodshedding. Me personally I am not "practicing" as much as I'd like or want to but I rarely have the time now that I'm older and working. When I was younger I'd spend alot more time and saw more growth in my playing/tech. Now I'm more focused on theory and teaching and I've seen more leaps in that aspect of my playing lately more than anything. I more or less maintain where I'm at and progress more slowly tech wise.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
People learn at different paces and some people can only play simple songs by the end of a year and some can play something ridiculous like Yngwie malmsteen kind of stuff, so it all depends really.
Quote by thamason69
Quote by thamason69
I've only been playing guitar for a year and a half (a year and like 3 months if you want to be technical) and i can play most of eruption by van halen, and parts of cliffs of dover (I'd say the easiest of the hardest songs) is this normal or would it be because i practice guitar for hours of a day?

its' cause you're AWESOME!!!
shred is gaudy music
No offence but after a year and a half you won't be able to play those pieces with clarity and you won't have developed a good vibrato yet.
Quote by griffRG7321
No offence but after a year and a half you won't be able to play those pieces with clarity and you won't have developed a good vibrato yet.

I think he probly could if he really is putting in like 5 hours a day. Like the jfreyvogel guy said, it's about the hours you put in, not the years.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"