My band's bassist is going to be needing a bass amp soon for our summer gigs.
We're hardcore/rock band. He's going to need to compete with a really loud drummer and my 100 watt tube amp. I've looked at the peavey tnt which look pretty nice. Budget prolly around 400-700 USD
Any Suggestions?
If it's sort of gigs like bar or function then I have a Laney RB4 which is 165 watts our drummer and our guitarist both play loud but this still cuts through with the mids boosted. Should cost about £250-£300 (about $320-$375)

You don't need a removals company to carry about for you and it does pack enough punch
I use a 500 watt Carvin BX500 on top of an Avatar B115H cab. The whole setup ran me under 600 bucks. Craigslist and Ebay are your friends. The Avatar is actually surprisingly light and the head weighs around 5 pounds. I'm still shocked it's anywhere near as loud as it is. If you go back through the old threads here you'll see a few references to KumaMilesBear threatening to steal my rig. He has a Trace Elliott half stack, so that should give you some idea of the quality.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Acoustic is always gets the job done on a budget.

Craigslist can be your best friend. There are some great old Peaveys and used Ashdowns that pop up all the time that aren't too expensive and should do the job nicely.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Acoustic has a pretty nice, round sound. I recommend the 410 cab with the head.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Thanks guys.
I like the idea of a head and smaller(ish) cab
Other threads have said that acoustics aren't that great. It this only from tone purists?
I have a Carvin BX500 on an Avatar 212 neo. It's lightweight, and extremely versatile.
Quote by somemaycallmeti
Thanks guys.
I like the idea of a head and smaller(ish) cab
Other threads have said that acoustics aren't that great. It this only from tone purists?

Acoustic is fine. Their amps aren't particularly stellar in any way, but they're not really bad in any way either. The big selling point on Acoustics is that you get more power for your buck, their wattage is higher then other amps in the same price range, which allows bassists to have a good gig-worthy amp on a budget. Plus they're reliable, which is always a bonus.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass