Page 1 of 3
This place needs some intellectual endeavors... SOOOO...

... I think it would be a cool idea to set up a system that allows folks to give like a 10-15 minute lecture on their specialties. For instance, lets say someone is working on their degree in biology... and they are currently working on a project to replicate the DNA of a frog, they could record like a 10-15 minute talk starting from the basic principles of their research and then working up to where the research is headed and what not. Just like a normal scientific talk... but for UGers.

I'm also currently in the beginning stages of negotiating a contract between myself and UG Radio that might get us some air-time on there... maybe once a week a 20 minute slot of intelligence and monocle'd pursuit of brilliance.

For folks who don't want to give lectures... in theory this will be a simple way to learn new things and sort of keep an eye on current research and current topics of science. I would also like to take requests... so say someone is really interested in something that is a "lower-level physics" type question... assuming its an interesting topic, I'd love to do a presentation on phenomenon and how its explained by elementary physics and whatnot. Not everything has to be research based... it could also be a nice tool for spreading some general knowledge about fields of study.

So, if you would like to be in on this and help organize it and/or sign up to do a lecture, join this group:

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lecturecircuit/

TLDR: You're probably not the person we're looking for... just move along and remember that the door may hit you if you pull it too quickly.
This idea has the full support of the UGC Radio.
Let's get nerdy, bitches.

EDIT: also, Zanas, friend request sent, get on meebo and we'll talk
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 25, 2010,
Quote by ZanasCross
TLDR: You're probably not the person we're looking for... just move along and remember that the door may hit you if you pull it too quickly.

This seems like a pretty cool idea.

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by ZanasCross

I did that once. Stupid door lookign really heavy and then being really light

But yeah, would be interesting to listen to
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'd offer, except it would suck because I haven't even started my ug yet. Will be listening intently though, awesome idea Zanas.
yeah good idea - count me in. i work as a corporate finance guru (retail financial analyst).
it might be boring, haha, but i could talk about what I do and what not. sham WOW you with my mad excel skills.
Member #78 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

Originally Posted by Gibson_Rocker13
why the hell would you worship satan if hes gunna torture the **** out of you.
Quote by ZanasCross
Those of you who are really interested in presenting, please join the group. 90% of the discussion will take place there. I just made the thread to raise awareness.

Ryan, check your PMs. Meebo doesn't run well with my PC due to some software I have on here.

got it.
keep in mind that the idea behind this show is that it is not solely about physics, but about any kind of science.

And it won't start out with the most difficult portion of it, it will actually be a show with different episodes that each evolve the topic at hand.
I can try and find time to do some organic chemistry lectures. Right now Im busy with finals for my degree so I cant promise anything.

Edit: Ive been researching the Alder Ene reaction for the past year. After my exams I may record something.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at May 25, 2010,
I can do some engineering thing/ medical. Im doing research right now for my job and in the process of studying for my mcat so i can do alot. i can do physics/easy continuum mechanics, calculus, linear algebra & vector theory, gen and organic chem, physiology, molecular biology(and old research stuff). ill join the group
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'd suggest linguistics, but I don't think I know anything interesting enough to share

I'd listen to you speaking Norwegian for 20 minutes.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by mexican_shred
I can do some engineering thing/ medical. Im doing research right now for my job and in the process of studying for my mcat so i can do alot. i can do physics/easy continuum mechanics, calculus, linear algebra & vector theory, gen and organic chem, physiology, molecular biology(and old research stuff). ill join the group

What is your research on? I'd really like to highlight people's research as well. Sometimes, that is the most interesting stuff to hear.
Quote by ZanasCross
What is your research on? I'd really like to highlight people's research as well. Sometimes, that is the most interesting stuff to hear.

+1000 on this.
Is this specifically meant for science? Because if it is, it might be a good idea to make a seperate timeslot for other subjects, if the interest is there of course.
Quote by ZanasCross

Last year I did a molecular cloning project of a florescent protein into a bacteria vector then translate that DNA into TB and other mycobacteria to use for specific imaging of disease progression in rat models

I just started my new research project today, and it involves Cardiac Ischemia(reduced blood flow) due to hypoxia(low oxygen). its a work in progress. The first one is published, though so i can easily give a lecture on how i did it and results
Quote by mexican_shred
Last year I did a molecular cloning project of a florescent protein into a bacteria vector then translate that DNA into TB and other mycobacteria to use for specific imaging of disease progression in rat models

I just started my new research project today, and it involves Cardiac Ischemia(reduced blood flow) due to hypoxia(low oxygen). its a work in progress. The first one is published, though so i can easily give a lecture on how i did it and results

If you can take that and make it so a general audience of people not in your field could understand it... i'd love to have that lecture.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Is this specifically meant for science? Because if it is, it might be a good idea to make a seperate timeslot for other subjects, if the interest is there of course.

I suppose a lecture series does lend itself to science. However, topics can range from psychology to physics to math to sociology to biology etc... it probably won't lend itself toward a "reading" style talk that is typically observed in language departments. Though, if someone wanted to take up something like that and host a time slot where people read things they've written... or have a "beat poetry" half-hour or something... that could be possible too (you'd have to talk to the Radio Guys about hosting it). However, that's not something I'd like to be responsible for.

Quote by genghisgandhi
Basically UG Podcasts?

More or less. Save for, the PodCasts you can typically download and listen to anytime... right (I've never used them before)? This will be an actual radio show on the UG Radio Project.
Quote by ZanasCross
If you can take that and make it so a general audience of people not in your field could understand it... i'd love to have that lecture.

easily.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'd suggest linguistics, but I don't think I know anything interesting enough to share

Good idea someone get on it
I'd be up for some other ones too as summer goes on. I have so many resources and class notes from the most basic science stuff to advance thanks to great engineering professors
Quote by ZanasCross

I suppose a lecture series does lend itself to science. However, topics can range from psychology to physics to math to sociology to biology etc... it probably won't lend itself toward a "reading" style talk that is typically observed in language departments. Though, if someone wanted to take up something like that and host a time slot where people read things they've written... or have a "beat poetry" half-hour or something... that could be possible too (you'd have to talk to the Radio Guys about hosting it). However, that's not something I'd like to be responsible for.

Yeah, I don't think a beat poetry thing would work real well, since we have a sub-forum for that stuff don't we?

I meant subjects like political science, philosophy, law, ect. It seems to me that you are aiming this specifically towards sciences over other topics from what I read in the OP.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Yeah, I don't think a beat poetry thing would work real well, since we have a sub-forum for that stuff don't we?

I meant subjects like political science, philosophy, law, ect. It seems to me that you are aiming this specifically towards sciences over other topics from what I read in the OP.

I suppose that is true. I'm a science student, so that naturally is where my brain went. i wouldn't be at all opposed to the others though, I just hadn't really considered it. Some law talks could be very interesting.
Kudos to ZanasCross for actually following through. I'm in my last semester of EE, possibly going another 1.5 years for accounting. After I complete my senior design classes in the fall and spring I may have some shit to talk about in a podcast. Most of what I've been focusing on has been power generation and distribution, so some people may find that relevant
I'd love to

I'll start thinking of topics now
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by ZanasCross
I suppose that is true. I'm a science student, so that naturally is where my brain went. i wouldn't be at all opposed to the others though, I just hadn't really considered it. Some law talks could be very interesting.

I just would like to say that the UG Radio is open to any kind of show.

This isn't just limit to science, if you want to talk about your level of expertice, by all means, you're very welcome to do so.
Quote by xFilth
How are you going to quality control this?

there are many trustworthy advanced science students on UG that will be connected with the radio, and if all else fails, I'll go to the physics department across the street from my dorm and have them tear apart the wannabes.

Also, I'm an engineering student myself, so I have my fair share of scientific knowledge.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 25, 2010,
So not every 12-year old and his grandma can go up and pretend to know everything about the Big Bang, advanced economics and whatnot? Great
It's been a long day, so I've not read through this properly. Just like to say I'd be very interested in helping with this, I'd be happy to give chemistry talks at whatever level, so hopefully posting now I'll remember to check this properly in the morning!
Pssh, science students.

I'm not sure if I could lecture on much. I'm an English major, but I'm not an expert on anything, given that I'm not a graduate student. I could easily lecture about synthesis, though. Easily. I could talk for hours about oscillators and filters.
Quote by Holy Katana
Pssh, science students.

I'm not sure if I could lecture on much. I'm an English major, but I'm not an expert on anything, given that I'm not a graduate student. I could easily lecture about synthesis, though. Easily. I could talk for hours about oscillators and filters.

This is about all that I could lecture on. But you actually enjoy talking about it, so I'll leave this one to you.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I might write something up for this. I don't have very good recording equipment, and I doubt I could write 20 minutes worth of material on a subject, but I will consider. Probably something psych/soc related. I'm no genius either though. Ugh. I'll think about it. Either way, it's still a great idea. I'll keep my eye on this for sure.
Last edited by GRiMM94 at May 25, 2010,
Page 1 of 3