My local Guitar Center has a used Laney Aor 100 watt 2x12 all tube amp for $375, and I am currently looking for an amp with good cleans, especially for jazz.

I've done some research on it, and it is great for rock and has good clean headroom, but the cleans arent talked about much. Does anyone know how good the cleans are on these amps?

I'm in college as a music major, and need an amp for jazz. I also play in 2 rock bands, so the fact that it is great for rock is an added plus.
Definitely more of a rock amp than a jazz amp. It's the amp used on "Dragonaut" by Sleep.

Your Peavey Classic 50 should do very well for jazz. Why not have both?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Definitely more of a rock amp than a jazz amp. It's the amp used on "Dragonaut" by Sleep.

Your Peavey Classic 50 should do very well for jazz. Why not have both?

I dont know what the deal is with the 50. It is a 4x10 but it has hardly any headroom at all. It starts to break up so early that it does not overpower an acoustic guitar. THe cleans sound amazing on it, but they dont last long. The overdrive/distortion of the amp sound horrible though.
Sounds like a tube problem. When was the last time you changed the power tubes?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Sounds like a tube problem. When was the last time you changed the power tubes?

I had the amp somewhat restored last year, after it barely worked, during which the tubes were changed. It is one of the older models, with a solid state pre and tube power amp
The AOR should have a knob that you can pull for a bass boost, that ends up as instant jazz. It doesn't work for anything else but it suits jazz great.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
thats a pretty fine deal on a good amp.

my laney is great for jazz as well imo.
definitely below the radar for when people think of potential jazzy tones.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I believe the AOR is similar to a marshall JCM800?

Personally I'd nab it, it should do alright for Jazz, it's not an ideal Jazz amp but it's still a pretty good deal.
Also, if you swap out a 12AX7 or two for something like a 12AT7, 12AU7 (or even a 12AY7) you will tame it substantially. I suspect doing that would turn it into a fine jazz amp and cost naff all to do it.
On a really bright note, 12AT7 and 12AU7 NOS valves go for substantially less than 12AX7 - buy it and haunt ebay for a real bargain on something like an old Mullard, Brimar, Bugle Boy, Telefunken, etc.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I tried it out today, and the clean channel was great, but the od/dist did not sound too good. I decided not to get it yet bc the reverb was not working. Is the od and reverb problem common on these amps?
Dodgey overdrive would probably mean it needs some new preamp valves, unless you don't like JCM800 style distortion. But as I said, you'd be wise to try different valves anyway. What exactly was wrong with it's overdrive?
Spring reverbs break, it happens. If you looked closely at how they are made you'd be surprised that they ever last at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Dodgey overdrive would probably mean it needs some new preamp valves, unless you don't like JCM800 style distortion. But as I said, you'd be wise to try different valves anyway. What exactly was wrong with it's overdrive?
Spring reverbs break, it happens. If you looked closely at how they are made you'd be surprised that they ever last at all.

the overdrive is just kinda raddy and nasty sounding, just not very smooth at all. How necessary is reverb usually to a jazz guitar sound?
Well, yeah, of course it's not smooth - the AOR is pretty crunchy sounding. See this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

Reverb isn't usually that necessary but it depends on what you like.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by guns_rosesldb
the overdrive is just kinda raddy and nasty sounding, just not very smooth at all. How necessary is reverb usually to a jazz guitar sound?

That's why I suggested using different valves. It will tame it and make it less grainy.
You might want reverb but you can always just get a pedal or a rack one for whatever amp you buy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta

Really? I know Matt Pike uses Laney, but from what I remember from the music videos, the amps that are used are Hiwatt's and Matamps.

I'm not trying to disprove you or anything, I'm legitimately asking.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Pike did use an AOR in the Sleep days, you can clearly see one in the Dragonaut video. It sounds like an AOR too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
How necessary is reverb usually to a jazz guitar sound?

It's not, really. Just add a little to taste. I saw this jazz guitarist a few months back who played through a twin reverb reissue and didn't touch the reverb at all. Still sounded great, though.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Pike did use an AOR in the Sleep days, you can clearly see one in the Dragonaut video. It sounds like an AOR too.

So is the AOR probably not gonna get me anywhere near a bluesy crunch sound?