I have a super reverb RI at the moment and it's just too big and heavy to transport, as I don't drive. So I decided on getting a pro junior as I could fit in a backpack.

I am now thinking of buying a cheap but decent amp for the occassions the pro junior wont cut it, and on those occasions I should have transport.

So basically I'm looking for a cheap,loud and single channel tube amp. Also it woud be good if it was smaller and lighter than the super reverb; even when I manage to get transport it's a bloomin hassle getting it in and out the car and into the venue. Sounds really amazing but I just can't afford to keep it and buy something more practical (for me)

Any suggestions guys? Looking at spending £300-£400, no more than £400 though.

Thanks in advance.
I'd suggest a Blues Junior or Peavey Classic 30/50 (if you can get them).

Or possibly a Vox AC15 or AC30.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Last edited by FloyDZeD at May 25, 2010,
I think a blues jr is too close to the pro junior volume wise. I was looking at the peavey classic and also the peavey delta blues. What are these ampe like, tone and reliabilty wise? Thanks for the suggestions.
at what size gig does the pro junior no longer cut it by the way?
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by FloyDZeD
I'd suggest a Blues Junior or Peavey Classic 30/50 (if you can get them).

Or possibly a Vox AC15 or AC30.

I really don't think that an AC30 would do him much help, since they are still heavy as all shit. But yes, great tone.

All of the other suggestions are good though. I'd like to put in for a Bugera V22. Two channels though, which TS doesn't really want, but I feel that it's a necessary suggestion.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
are you the person i suggested that fame copy of the pro junior to? If so, fame also does a 40 watt amp... not sure if it's a 40 watt version, but it might be... I'm guessing it's in the ballpark, anyway. it's a 12" speaker, though, so it might not be transportable enough (and I haven't tried that one, either). I think the review i read said it wasn't mega-loud, though, just it had more headroom than the 15 watt version.

that's about all I can think of with your budget constraints and wanting it to be single channel, off the top of my head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I heard a guy the other day plugged into a deluxe reverb, with a tele, nothing else, sounded absolutley amazing, really some of the nicest tone I have ever heard in person. I was actually thinking of forgetting the pro junior and making the deluxe reverb my main go to amp for all occassions.

But are they heavy/akward to carry? How do they cope volume wise, I'm guessing pretty well?
i haven't tried a deluxe reverb, but I don't think they're meant to have a ton of headroom. Some, but not loads. that could be BS, though.

EDIT: also check my post above yours, we posted at the same time.

I don't think you're going to get a deluxe reverb for £300, though, even used.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey, Dave I was the guy you reccomended the fame amp to, looks like good value but there are very few reviews and I can't try one anywhere so decided to leave it.

Also a deluxe will cost between £550 and £700 second hand, but if you add say £250 (since I'm losing the pro jr) onto my budget, I'm pretty much there. I don't think they have too much headroom, but I like the tube break up tone, and it's pretty loud at the point where it's breaking up, about 4 I think.

My only concern is transporting it with my guitar; walking round a busy city, getting on packed buses etc.

Can anyone comment on the transportability of it? 20 kgs seems still pretty darn heavy though.
Last edited by DanielShaw123 at May 25, 2010,
well i'm a complete wuss. I don't like lifting my amps across the room. So you'd better no listen to me.

If you're within reach of the drri, and think you wouldn't be happy if you made do with something cheaper, then by all means go with one. You could also maybe consider getting a UK-based ampmaker to make you a clone of the DRRI, it'd be handwired and all and use the 100% correct circuit, higher-quality parts, but it'd likely cost a couple of hundred on top of the price of the DRRI. Worth considering, but if you're already stretching to reach the DRRI, maybe not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I would be delighted with the standard fender deluxe, it should suit my volume needs, just thing it still may be a bit akward and heavy to carry around everywhere.... A dillema...
jet city 20 watt? single channel.

just depends if you like teh sound of the amp. youtube it