Poll: How has your opinion changed after seeing him in office?
Poll Options
View poll results: How has your opinion changed after seeing him in office?
I originally supported him, and still do.
241 52%
I originally supported him, but don't now (or not as much).
57 12%
I didn't support at first, but now I do.
6 1%
I didn't support at first, and still don't.
156 34%
Voters: 460.
Page 1 of 5
Yes, I know there is already a Political thread, but this is only what you think of the president we elected after having some time to see what he has done.

So, it's been over a year since he has been elected, what do you think of the job he has done so far? Did you originally support him, doubt him, etc.

I'm going to hold off on posting my thoughts for a while so this thread isn't just about what I think.

So guys, what do you think of him?

OPIONINEDIT: I think before I start, I should explain what inspired me to make this thread, it was a news article that said "More than half the country does not like the way country is going", and I thought "But wait, it wasn't more than 2 years ago when people were shouting 'YES WE CAN' like mindless zombies (otherwise known as Democrats). How can so many people be upset?"

Then I realized, the reason so many people supported him, was the reason I never did: With Obama, it was never about the key issues (Such as the war which we're still in, the mounting debt), it was about getting everybody to say "Now here is a guy, we can trust." And quite frankly, for a lot of people here is why they voted Obama

He wasn't Bush.
He was Democrat.
He was black.

Now, if you don't believe me on that list, how many times did you hear about how great Obama is because "He's going to bring change"? Yes, a lot.

This moves me down to how he's doing now. Still, I'm unimpressed, the troops that were supposed to be coming home now have more people to die with them, the Health Care Bill is nothing short of an embarrassment, and the national debt is ever rising. I'd also like to point out that the oil spill has been going on for a month now, and although I'm not saying it's his fault, the company isn't being held accountable like they should, AND Obama still supports off-shore drilling, as apposed to renewable resources that could easily generate jobs as well...

In conclusion, I don't think he's lived up to what a lot of people thought he would be...

Also, I'm neither Democrat or Republican, I'm Libertarian. I believe a good chunk of our problems come from the 2 parties alone...

Originally Posted by stradivari310
I don't trust him and never have.

He has a cabinet that includes tax cheats and professed political radicals, and in my book you're known by the company you keep. When he says things like "there comes a time when a person has made enough money" I feel embarrassed and, frankly, fearful. When the federal government bails out corporations that should be allowed to fail so that new ones can take their place (i.e. letting GM be replaced with alternative energy!) they are doing the people a disservice. Our Congress is given the power to reform the financial system while having an exemption from insider trading laws, so how good is this financial reform bill going to be? When a health care bill is made under the gaze of a massive lobby while Obama just watches it happen, how successful do you think it really is at actually helping those who need affordable care? How could he authorize the killing of an American citizen on foreign soil yet stand for the rights of people who come into the country illegally? How could he rely on the votes of the LGBT population and then do nothing for them once elected? How could he sit by and watch as countries that clearly have it in for us develop nuclear weapons?

I don't agree with much that Obama stands for, but he should have taken control of his agenda and let it happen. America could have seen the flaws and returned us to the center-right where (IMO) we belong. Instead we have watered down pork bills that will take years to recover from, and there is no end in sight.

Honestly there are dozens of other things that alarm me...

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at May 27, 2010,
Quote by red157
I still would.

My elderly history teacher made a comment about him being sexy today.

*shudder*
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
GET OUT OF MY TV!!!
to Obama srs that man is on tv EVERY day.
other than that I don't care because nothing I can do will ever make a difference
I let you get away so cleanly.
Didn't like him. Still don't like him.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I think he's doing a decent job in a hell of a difficult situation, and he's a damn sight better than bush was, or mccain likely would have been.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I think Obama is a pretty cool guy. He makes speeches and doesn't afraid of anything.

On a serious note, poll lacks option for "don't care one way or the other".
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I think Obama is a pretty cool guy. He makes speeches and doesn't afraid of anything.

On a serious note, poll lacks option for "don't care one way or the other".

Well, I don't really support people who "don't care one way or the other". Mostly due to the fact that it just F's the idea of Democracy in the ass. People throw a fit about voting rights just to not have an opinion?
he's better than bush was or mccain would be doing, so he still has my support.

although yeah, i don't care one way or another

EDIT: ^ i think by saying "not caring one way or another" isn't saying we don't care about how he's doing as president. It's meaning we don't care to talk about politics in general. I voted for obama, and i'm still going to say "i don't care"
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Last edited by meta1militia at May 25, 2010,
He was never my first choice. That said, I supported him in the final election. He's not doing a super-awesome job, but I don't hate him, and I'll still take him over Ms. Palin(I don't care that she was the VP, McCain is in his 70's, has had run-ins with cancer, and would have to deal with the stress and sleep deprivation from jumping into a dead economy, a war or two, and very poor international opinions of his predecessor. I'd give him a year tops, it was her presidency if he won.)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by SeEsAw12
That doesn't say much for him.

yeah so? i'm not praising him
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Well, I was a HEAVY Hillary Clinton supporter right until the very end of the primaries, and once she pulled out I moved on to Obama. I went from pessimistic to optimistic and back and forth several times over the past year and a half or so. He's done some good, but not enough yet, and that's not his fault; it's Congress's fault.

I'm currently at a point of pessimism, but there's NO WAY I could ever support the Republican Party, and with American politics being the way they are, there really isn't a good third party. I guess the best thing I can do is remain loyal to the Democratic Party and try to effect change as much as possible.

Obama is too conservative for my tastes. I'd support a movement for Hillary Clinton to shanghai the presidency in 2012.... Or they could repeal the 22nd Amendment and let Slick Willy have another few terms
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at May 25, 2010,
he's changed alot, and most of his haters live on the fact that in the short time he's been president he hasn't changed EVERYTHING he's promised yet.

for god's sake, people, he's improved america's reputation in the entire world, how can you hate him for that.
I supported him from the primaries on, and now that he is finally dealing with the Mexican border problem by doing exactly what the Republicans were going to propose I'm even more supportive of him than I was in November '08 or after the health care bill passed.
meh, don't agree with some of his action and inaction, but the man has 3 more years or so. Never really supported him, (as in, wasn't my first choice of a candidate) but he is the President and deserves at least a modicum of respect from the people, which we have gotten away from after clinton's little bj. It doesn't matter if you don't agree with the President (Obama or Bush), but treat the President with some form of respect. Somehow it became acceptable to call them dumb-asses, communists, fascists, or whatever else. This person is a representative of my country, and for me to call him anything derogatory will basically demean me and the general population as a whole, as we voted him into office.

Of course, I'm preaching to some rebellious teenagers, so this will fall on deaf ears. Imo, it could be better, and it could also be worse. He's been doing fine
Who is this Obama? I hail to Obabo.

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by CoreysMonster
he's changed alot, and most of his haters live on the fact that in the short time he's been president he hasn't changed EVERYTHING he's promised yet.

for god's sake, people, he's improved america's reputation in the entire world, how can you hate him for that.

I think they want people to think of america as that batshit insane country with all the fatties and stooids
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by jgbsmith
I think he's doing a decent job in a hell of a difficult situation, and he's a damn sight better than bush was, or mccain likely would have been.

This.

I supported him before, I still support him. Although I don't think I like his plans for the space agency
He's done a ton of stuff given how long he's been in office. I don't think he's gotten the banking sector properly regulated yet. Overall, I'm happy with him, but I think the republicans are doing a very effective job attacking him and other democrats.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad

Which one would you rather have?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Primus2112
Who is this Obama? I hail to Obabo.

i laughed so hard

I don't really like him. He doesn't have a presidential quality. I'm not sure he has the skills.
Nah, he's a dinky-di type of fella, aye? Only a dipstick would think otherwise, mate. Down here in Aus, everyone loves him mate. Can't wait 'til he comes down here. Quite the larrikin! But ye, suppose he's flat out like a lizard drinkin, so can't blame the fella, aye?
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
you forgot the option

"im not american"

so i decided to vote to skew the data
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by newbie08
Nah, he's a dinky-di type of fella, aye? Only a dipstick would think otherwise, mate. Down here in Aus, everyone loves him mate. Can't wait 'til he comes down here. Quite the larrikin! But ye, suppose he's flat out like a lizard drinkin, so can't blame the fella, aye?

I know you were trying to be funny, but that made absolutely no goddamn sense to me.

I like it
I didn't support at first, but now I do. 0 0%
I didn't support at first, and still don't. 28 33.73%

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
lets be real

the bebt was slightly over 5 trillion when bush came in
it was over 9 trillion when he came out

4 trillion dollars in 8 years is UNACCEPTABLE
BUT
the projected deficit over the next 10 years after the obama administration according to the washington post is supposed to increase by over 9 trillion dollars. and that was BEFORE the one trillion dollar (and still rising) health care bill that is supposedly "deficit neutral"

look. all of our leaders are spending too much money and we have little to show for it. the R and D's after their names dont mean anything. it doesnt matter, bush or obama, neither are fiscally responsible. you can change the man in power, but the plan is the same wheather you like it or not. obama is the same as the rest of the washington crowd.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Last edited by bi-ah! at May 25, 2010,
As an Australian I support him. Obviously that doesn't mean jack, but that's just letting you guys know about how the rest of the world feels. He's improved your country's image tenfold. Obviously we still hear about all the crazy, racist, extremist etc. Americans (i.e. WBC, tea party protests, crazy-ass republicans), but seeing you have someone level headed and reasonable in charge does look good on the international scale.

EDIT:
Quote by newbie08

Goddammit man, they already think we ride kangaroos to work and live in mud huts! You're part of the problem!

But I did understand everything you said, and laughed.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 25, 2010,
The only presidents in me lifetime have been Clinton and Bush, and I was 5 when Clinton got out of office, so all I really have to compare Obama to is Bush. He's a drastic improvement. He hasn't exactly lived up to the expectations, but that's partially because he got elected because people expected miracles. I like his foreign policy, but the health care bill was weak.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by bi-ah!
lets be real

BUT
the projected deficit over the next 10 years after the obama administration according to the washington post is supposed to increase by over 9 trillion dollars. and that was BEFORE the one trillion dollar (and still rising) health care bill that is supposedly "deficit neutral"

look. all of our leaders are spending too much money and we have little to show for it. the R and D's after their names dont mean anything. it doesnt matter, bush or obama, neither are fiscally responsible. you can change the man in power, but the plan is the same wheather you like it or not. obama is the same as the rest of the washington crowd.

The reason I like hi is because of how he is spending the money. Bush threw his cash into a pointless war and into the Patriot Act's enforcement. Obama seems to be more focused on domestic issues. Obviously there was the health care reform that will in the long run balance out, and today he announced the spending of 500 million dollars (along with 1200 National Guardsmen) to begin holing up the Mexican border. You can't do anything without spending exorbitant amounts of money in government, and the only way to fix that is to tax the shit out of people. Anyone who proposed that would be pushed out of power, so really we the people are causing this deficit as much as Bush or Obama or any president.

/mytwocents
i supported him in the election and i still do, however there are somethings i wish he would do differently. (but to be fair aren't really his fault)

he's very keen on being bi-partisan...consequently, many of his bills (like the new health care reform) become watered down versions of what they were initially meant to be. i do wish he would put his foot down and say "listen, this is what i think is right and screw what you say, i'm doing it". the man and his team do have plenty of good ideas, the only problem is he's so hell bent on pleasing "everybody" that he sacrifices some of the integrity of his ideals.

to be fair though, it would seem very surprising to me if one day he did say "screw you i'm doing what i want". he's just never come across as that type of person so i'm not surprised the opposition is trying to take advantage of this.

Quote by bi-ah!
lets be real

BUT

well, according to Obama and his economic crew, yes his plan will increase the national debt at first but the overall plan will actually save us money in the long term. in the end i think that's the only way to go about it really.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at May 25, 2010,
Quote by Waterboy799
i supported him in the election and i still do, however there are somethings i wish he would do differently. (but to be fair aren't really his fault)

he's very keen on being bi-partisan...consequently, many of his bills (like the new health care reform) become watered down versions of what they were initially meant to be. i do wish he would put his foot down and say "listen, this is what i think is right and screw what you say, i'm doing it". the man and his team do have plenty of good ideas, the only problem is he's so hell bent on pleasing "everybody" that he sacrifices some of the integrity of his ideals.

to be fair though, it would seem very surprising to me if one day he did say "screw you i'm doing what i want". he's just never come across as that type of person so i'm not surprised the opposition is trying to take advantage of this.

Well, to be fair, his vote doesn't really count. The democrats can basically pass anything they want as long as they get it past their party votes. Obama can veto whatever he wants, but generally speaking, this doesn't happen too often when the president is from the same party as those who hold the majority. They just can't get the votes for some reason. This isn't Obama's fault, but the President can't just say I want this to happen, so do it, because it doesn't work that way. Between special interests and every individual senator/representative's respective base, it's difficult to do so. He could go along with his party's decision, but at the end of the day, our country has done best when the house and senate is divided. This forces the two parties to find a middle ground, and the president generally accepts the middle-ground as being beneficial to the country as a whole
Quote by pak1351
Well, to be fair, his vote doesn't really count. The democrats can basically pass anything they want as long as they get it past their party votes. Obama can veto whatever he wants, but generally speaking, this doesn't happen too often when the president is from the same party as those who hold the majority. They just can't get the votes for some reason. This isn't Obama's fault, but the President can't just say I want this to happen, so do it, because it doesn't work that way. Between special interests and every individual senator/representative's respective base, it's difficult to do so. He could go along with his party's decision, but at the end of the day, our country has done best when the house and senate is divided. This forces the two parties to find a middle ground, and the president generally accepts the middle-ground as being beneficial to the country as a whole

the middle ground would be fine under normal circumstances, however we don't have that luxury at the present time.

i see it like this: it's either he gets things done the way he and the Dems initially proposed or the country forever stays where it currently is. why ask for the opinion of the politicians who supported Bush's presidency and decisions? obviously they failed, so why would their opinions now all of a sudden matter?

i think they all (the Dems) have to pull their shit together, commit to their promises and stop caring about the opposition and their mud slinging.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Page 1 of 5