So, I was thinking about the lack of originality in most music nowadays when I had an idea. What if one were to write an entire piece without the use of any minor thirds. Not just melodic and harmonic minor thirds; the idea is that no two notes in the piece can be a minor third apart (regardless of when they are played). Then an even more perplexing thought came to me. How would one modulate keys smoothly (ie. with secondary dominants) in this minor-third-less soundscape. Not only that, but I figured that the piece should be in a MINOR key! Suffice to say, it's a day or two later and I have the majority of the piece finished. So here's my question: has this (or anything similar) ever been done? I'm quite curious as to whether I've broken any musical ground, or if I've just spent the last few days concocting a fragmented-sounding bit of rubbish.
Probably not an entire piece... because it'll sound very unfinished.

I have a question for you though... how do you establish the minor tonality without the minor third?

I'm interested to see what you've made, though.
Quote by canvasDude
So, I was thinking about the lack of originality in most music nowadays when I had an idea. What if one were to write an entire piece without the use of any minor thirds. Not just melodic and harmonic minor thirds; the idea is that no two notes in the piece can be a minor third apart (regardless of when they are played). Then an even more perplexing thought came to me. How would one modulate keys smoothly (ie. with secondary dominants) in this minor-third-less soundscape. Not only that, but I figured that the piece should be in a MINOR key! Suffice to say, it's a day or two later and I have the majority of the piece finished. So here's my question: has this (or anything similar) ever been done? I'm quite curious as to whether I've broken any musical ground, or if I've just spent the last few days concocting a fragmented-sounding bit of rubbish.

I don't believe so.

I also don't believe doing that would have any impact on the originality of music these days.

I also believe that seeing originality in music these days is as simple as opening your eyes. (or ears).

Quote by canvasDude

I'm quite curious as to whether I've broken any musical ground, or if I've just spent the last few days concocting a fragmented-sounding bit of rubbish.

what's it sound like? I mean, just listen to it. Does it sound cool? Does it sound like rubbish?

You're the artist, you should decide.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 25, 2010,
Quote by canvasDude

im sure everything has been done. being original in music doesnt mean doing something that has NEVER been done. some of the best bands ever werent exactly the most original either. i really dont think there is any less orinality these days. if you were to go back in time, people would be saying the same thing about the music you think is original.

anyways, i personally dont see the point in restricting yourself like that in music. but it could be good for building composition skills so go for it.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

I have a question for you though... how do you establish the minor tonality without the minor third?

I assume you can use the minor third that is relative to the root for another chord/dyad thus strengthening the tonality by using the important notes of that particular scale.

the idea is that no two notes in the piece can be a minor third apart (regardless of when they are played).

This is confusing me somewhat. If no two notes can't be played a minor third apart regardless of their place in the entire piece it means you're note palette is going to be extremely sparse, but maybe I'm just too tired to see something obvious.

But anyway, I'd like to see what you've done.
@Blind In 1 Ear, I am mainly doing this to see if A) it's possible [for me at least] B) to improve my phrasing and C) to possibly do something that's never been done.

@Guitar Munky, sorry if I came off as a douche about the originality bit. It was mainly referring to popular music, which I should have been more specific about. I do love bands like Opeth, Scale the Summit, ABR, Animals as Leaders, etc.

@ DiminishedFifth, I attached the gp5 file of the most current (incomplete) version. Also, I had to add a lot of chromatics in order to have more than 4 usable notes in the key of A minor. I then (attempt to) modulate to the key of A# minor, but only very briefly. Hopefully it doesn't end up sounding like shit. I feel like I have a lot of editing in my near future.

EDIT: @ MapOfYourHead, nope you've got the right idea. And yes, my note palate (diatonicly speaking) is 6 notes over 2 keys (A, B, E, and F in A minor and A# and D# in A# minor). There may be other notes I could use, (ie. chromatics, which I have been making use of) however this is what I've got so far.
Attachments:
ATS.gp5
Last edited by canvasDude at May 25, 2010,
You have a Eb and a C in there.

Tsk tsk. Cool experiment though.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
You have a Eb and a C in there.

Tsk tsk. Cool experiment though.

I can't believe I missed that. AND the C is the minor third of A (which is the key!). I just replaced that C in the intro with an A, which was actually the note I was originally playing when I wrote that part guitar in hand. I feel rather stupid for missing that.

EDIT: Added the fixed version under attachments.
Attachments:
ATS.gp5
Interesting stuff, yet it seems incredibly amorphous, tonic-wise, at the moment (not in the strictest atonal sense, but still).

It'll sound a lot better once you apply dynamics too. GP piano without any dynamics makes me ill
Maybe you should try doing it in a major key first. That might be more fruitful.

Optionally you could avoid using a 5th.
Quote by Eastwinn
Maybe you should try doing it in a major key first. That might be more fruitful.

Optionally you could avoid using a 5th.

Please explain, why shouldn't I use a fifth? Do you mean that I should avoid oversimplifying the harmonies? If so, I see your point. Also, I think I'll stick with the minor key since I'm already a good bit of the way through it. I just think there's something missing... something I can't quite put my finger on... perhaps a minor third?
This has been done before in writing. The novel Gadsby is written without the letter e. And that letter is the most common one in the English language!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
This has been done before in writing. The novel Gadsby is written without the letter e. And that letter is the most common one in the English language!

No, no, I meant later try one where you avoids fifths instead of minor thirds.
You could also break things that other people haven't broken yet. No one can take that from you.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
You could also break things that other people haven't broken yet. No one can take that from you.

Yeah, and if they try to then I'll break them. >_>

EDIT: Sarcasm ftw!