I'm trying out some VST amps and I have 4 tracks total of guitars and drums right now. When I play the song, it'll go for a few seconds and then a red light starts blinking on the time and the song starts skipping. Any ideas? I assume it's from the amount of VSTs I'm using or something like that, but if it is, I'm not really sure how to fix that because I need all of them.
you could apply track FX to the item as a new take (right-click the track) and then make the new take a different track without FX. that way, the CPU doesn't have to be rendering the VST amps and playing them at the same time, it'll just be playing an audio file.
I tried that and it still skipped, but with a ton of feedback too. Thanks for the response though.
faster computer needed maybe.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
i've used reaper for tons of songs that have more vsts than this and it's never done this though... I cut it down to 3 tracks and it goes for longer than it was, but it's still messed up.
So you've used Reaper before with no issues? I'm assuming you now about using an ASIO driver, and not just plain DirectX. Check if the amp sims have a high quality toggle. Which sims are you using? I know the Nick 8505 amp sim has a high quality toggle, while the 7170 is constantly in High quality mode.

If you open a track's FX window in Reaper, on the bottom left will be 2 percentages, X%/Y% where X is the current amount of the CPU the selected plugin is using, and Y is the total amount of CPU the track is occupying. Try to find which tracks are eating your CPU the most. I know normally, the 7170, and the 8505 with the HQ toggle will eat upwards of 17% of my CPU each, and only about 2% with HQ turned off. You simply enable HQ for the final render. You can also just press Ctrl+Alt+P (or if that's the wrong combo, View->Performance), to see a list off all tracks, their CPU consumption, and the total CPU usage.

When you tried applying the FX as a take, did you remove the existing VST amps from the track? If not, that's like having 2 passes of distortion/gain, and can cause that feedback.
Thank you. I took SoloC off HQ and it helped a lot. Also, I didn't remove the VSTs when I applied the FX as a take so you were right on that. Thanks again.