Do you have to open the back of the guitar to get to the claw and adjust the tension? Or is it as simple as putting on new strings, tuning it at the head, locking it, using fine tuners? Can you detune with khalers using the fine tuners? I maybe getting a guitar with a khaler and idk if they're similar to OFRs. I played one and I used the fine tuner to go to Drop D and it didnt make all the other strings flat or sharp o_o
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Quote by ReinventingEvil
Do you have to open the back of the guitar to get to the claw and adjust the tension? Or is it as simple as putting on new strings, tuning it at the head, locking it, using fine tuners? Can you detune with khalers using the fine tuners? I maybe getting a guitar with a khaler and idk if they're similar to OFRs. I played one and I used the fine tuner to go to Drop D and it didnt make all the other strings flat or sharp o_o

From what I hear, they're alot more user-friendly. It doesn't go through the body like FR's do; it uses a system of cams, and generally, when you detune, it doesn't throw all the other strings outta wack.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
i have a kahler.

i <3 it. i don't have much experience with OFR, but my kahler keeps my strings in tune for ages.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
I have a Kahler too. I hate it.
Strats & SGs
Axe-FX Ultra
JMP-1
Peavey Classic 50/50
4x12 V30s & 30Hs
OFR's aren't a pain. When used and set up correctly.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by IbanezRGS

I second this notion. If you want a floating bridge, there isn't too much better than an OFR. Although I hear khalers are very good, I wouldn't think they would be too much easier to set up. I don't understand why taking the spring cover off is a big deal? If you are that lazy (like myself), just leave it off.

~Dave
Guitars
Carvin DC145 w/ OFR
Ibanez RGEX1 w/ Tone Zone & Paf Pro
Last edited by -Dzo- at May 25, 2010,
Quote by IbanezRGS

The pain actually comes from setting up the floyd rose in the first place.
Quote by natehimself
why?

I bought a Kahler for a 24.75" scale partscaster I was making. It turns out that the string spread at the fine tuners is Gibson spaced, about 51.5mm. Set up like that, the two E strings are ridiculously too far inwards on the warmoth strat neck. And the rollers can only be spaced wide as a MIM strat bridge, a little short of the OFR string spacing that I like. But the problem with maxing out the spacing is that the low and high E rollers are now being side-loaded too much, and don't stay in tune too well. Then there's the problem of roller height: too low and the upper register notes are dead and lifeless, too high and the increased break angle over the rollers makes it not come back in tune. I can't find a decent middle ground so I'm chucking the pos and putting on a OFR.
Strats & SGs
Axe-FX Ultra
JMP-1
Peavey Classic 50/50
4x12 V30s & 30Hs
Quote by EvilAngel93
From what I hear, they're alot more user-friendly. It doesn't go through the body like FR's do; it uses a system of cams, and generally, when you detune, it doesn't throw all the other strings outta wack.

This caught my attention.

Would this make it possible for me to install a Kahler on a hardtail guitar, even if it means drilling some new holes for it to screw into?

Also, Kahlers are able to do both dive downs and pull ups like a FR, right? May be a stupid question but I have ZERO experience with Kahlers.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at May 25, 2010,
If its a tune o matic with a stoptail, then ur in luck, Kahler makes a bridge to retrofit tunomatic stoptails, IE the 7200 and the 2200 (2200 is better)
Eh.
Quote by ReinventingEvil

kahlers have there own issues as mentioned. you will still need to get it set up for any major downtuning just like a floyd. all trems need some adjusting when doing this thee really isn't any way around it. fine tuners re meant to fine tune not drop the pitch majorly.
I heard there is a bending issue in kahlers....that is goes out of tune when you bends it???

a tech in youtube demonstrated that problem...
i like the FR, its always in tune for me, but i heard kahlers where a real pain in the ass to maintain and stuff

EDIT: the FR is giving me the shits now days though
Quote by Ghostmaker
This caught my attention.

Would this make it possible for me to install a Kahler on a hardtail guitar, even if it means drilling some new holes for it to screw into?

Also, Kahlers are able to do both dive downs and pull ups like a FR, right? May be a stupid question but I have ZERO experience with Kahlers.

Ask Kerry King.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
My problem(and this is a documented thing, I've heard in many interviews too) with Kahlers is that they don't offer any resistance. It feels really weird.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by IbanezRGS

+1
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I have a Kahler, it works, I don't really use the bar a whole lot but it doesn't go outta tune with bends, it's really just mostly friction over the cam, some new models of kahlers have a flatter cam and theres not much friction.

Set up wise Kahlers I hear are easier then floyds, they just require more maintainence.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Last edited by learningplayer at May 26, 2010,
Quote by fuzznut
I bought a Kahler for a 24.75" scale partscaster I was making. It turns out that the string spread at the fine tuners is Gibson spaced, about 51.5mm. Set up like that, the two E strings are ridiculously too far inwards on the warmoth strat neck. And the rollers can only be spaced wide as a MIM strat bridge, a little short of the OFR string spacing that I like. But the problem with maxing out the spacing is that the low and high E rollers are now being side-loaded too much, and don't stay in tune too well. Then there's the problem of roller height: too low and the upper register notes are dead and lifeless, too high and the increased break angle over the rollers makes it not come back in tune. I can't find a decent middle ground so I'm chucking the pos and putting on a OFR.

hey, it's all opinion i guess.

the 1983 USA made kahler on my vortex is the deeshiznit.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
I've got axes with both OFR's and Kahlers.
They both have their pro's and cons, and I like BOTH types.

Dropping your E down to D?
Kahler all the way.
While you WILL have to do some minor retuning, it's nowhere NEAR as bad as trying that on a FR unit, I don't care HOW "set up" it is, it's a matter of the difference between how both units deal with tension changes

Kahlers are stiffer in feel than FR units, at least to me anyway.
You can't really get that "warble" on a Kahler like you can with a Floyd.
You can pull up AND down on a Kahler.
As far as durability and dependability....well, I've got a Kahler I've been using since 1990.
No maintenance other than lubing the string rollers every year or so.
Works as good as the day I got the guitar.

The fine tuners seem to work quicker on a Kahler, a 1/4 turn on a Kahler fine tuner will get you more than a 1/4 turn on a FR unit.
That's just personal opinion though.

Kahlers DO have the bonus of sustain.
It's a LOT of metal, and you also don't have a massive part of your guitar body MISSING like you do with a body routed for a FR unit.
Because, face it, with a FR unit, a good bit of the center of your guitar isn't there anymore.
That's a whole lot of mass gone....
Whether you can make that work for you, is up to you and your ears.

You also don't have to have a pair of wire cutters to change strings on a Kahler.
Yeah, you'll have excess string up at the post, but you don't NEED to cut it, like you do when swapping strings on a FR.
If it hits the fan and you bust a string in the middle of a song, you'll get that Kahler up and running a whole lot faster than you will with a FR unit.
(The Kahler also won't go out of tune as badly as a Floyd will)
Unless you have pre-cut strings ready to go.
And if you're anything like me, you probably won't...heh....

FR units feel more responsive than Kahlers, I'll say that...
I always thought FR felt more stiff than Kahler by a long ways. The way it has been for me is a Kahler is easier to set up and get going but it will require more regular maintenance than a FR (you need to lube the rollers and cam and clean junk out of the rollers every once in a blue moon). You also really should replace the springs in a Kahler every couple years for best performance.