Well, this isn't really the forum to ask that, but to answer your question, absolutely not. Some of the best artists know NOTHING about scales, modes, etc. (well, to be fair, many discover it for themselves by listening, learning, and playing other people's music, but they don't all study theory websites or books, or that sort of thing).
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Some do, some don't

I personally play by ear, but I know a small bit of theory.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

No, and wrong forum. Sorry
-reported-
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Depends on the genre as well. Those who play progressive metal mostly have a little or great knowledge in theory, scales and modes. In thrash metal, not so much. Rock and metal generally rely on the minor pentatonic scale.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by guitarsftw
Well, this isn't really the forum to ask that, but to answer your question, absolutely not. Some of the best artists know NOTHING about scales, modes, etc. (well, to be fair, many discover it for themselves by listening, learning, and playing other people's music, but they don't all study theory websites or books, or that sort of thing).

+1
Quote by jiwhanese
listen to a slayer solo. does that sound like using theory?

Why would you listen to slayer???
Sorry I thought it was the right spot... But I always thought if you use scales it'll sound like you know what your doing on an emotional level to the audience rather than playing as fast as you can.
Even if you don't know anything about theory, everything you do musically relates to theory in some way. Music theory is how music is explained, not a set of rules.
dimebag didnt know a damn bit of theory and he was damn good
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270
Squire Stagemaster 7string

Amps
Randall Titan head
Randall XL cab with celestions

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips