Page 1 of 2
UG Office Approved

Basically, I thought an Article entitled 'UG Pays tribute to Paul Gray' would be a nice way to show our respects.

If you want to contribute to the article and UG, whilst paying your respects to Paul, then get involved.

I need some written comments/tributes from UGers:

- Paying tributes to Paul
- Talking about any influence Paul / the band had on their lives
- Anything else thats related to the subject.

Let me know if you're interested by posting in this thread. Tributes may be posted in this thread, but I need them to be submitted to me via the PM system.

Comments can be anything, as long as its positive and respectful. Any trolling will be dealt with.

I'll leave this open for a few days or so, then start writing the article. If numbers get too big, then I may have to pick the best / most heartfelt ones. I'm sure thats understandable - we want people to be able to fully read the article.

Lets do this.

Thanks, guys.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at May 27, 2010,
That's better.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
I'm thinkin' one up.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

I like kittens

PAROXYSM.
Quote by user_nameless
I'm thinkin' one up.

I'll put you on the list
RIP Tom Searle.
ill def write one later.

ill just leave this here for now...

http://www.ustream.tv/slipknot
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Thank you, Paul Gray. Thank you and your band, Slipknot, for making teh br00t4lz acceptable to hot chicks. I thank you for this.

The gothic overtones in your music inspired many musicians to step away from the standards; you took me from "The Trooper" to "Wait and Bleed" and "Duality." You, as one of the heavier nu-metal bands, changed the course of modern rock to heavy stuff, the brutal crap that scares your parents. You made metal trendy again.

While not every person likes your music, it's undeniable. You made rock heavy again.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

I like kittens

PAROXYSM.
Slipknot was one of the first heavy bands I got into. As time went on, I've gotten in to more metalcore and mathcore type stuff, but if I had never heard them I don't think I'd be listening to metal right now. I pulled out all their cd's today and gave a listen, which was really nostalgic, sad, and definitely cool, because their material holds up.

RIP Paul, you will be missed.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I don't know about this Paul Gray fellow but UG's Robert Gray seems like a pretty cool guy. You have my permission to put that in your tribute.
I remember listening to Slipknot in my room when I was eleven years old, at that time they were honestly the heaviest, most antagonistic thing I'd ever heard.

Over the next couple of years, I moved onto death metal and bands like Meshuggah, but Slipknot have always, and will always have a special place in my heart.

Nothing will take away the feeling of walking to first year high school listening to them, feeling that I was different fae all the arseholes that were into the generic pop and dance that dominates the mainstream airwaves.

I always found Paul's bass playing to be simple but effective.

Rest in peace Paul Gray.

Gregor.
^^ Guys, you're supposed to use the PM system for your comments.

Also, count me in.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Don't dig slipknot but i have all the respect in the world for the dead

RIP PAUL GRAY
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Im in. Ill send you the tribute.
May Paul rest in peace.
Clapton is god, accept it.
Last edited by bmorse at May 25, 2010,
Thanks, guys. This is awesome. Just a request - Please PM me your submissions.

Anything below this post needs to be PM'd.
RIP Tom Searle.
While I don't personally enjoy his work, it's always sad to see a fellow musician fall in his prime.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies at gunpoint.
Where words fail, bullets speak.
Violence never solved anything, except for every conflict ever.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
Go ahead, click it. Ya know you want to.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Don't worry, Slipknot still has 8 lives. Or does that only work with cats?

Just shut the hell up and get out.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Well, mate, to be honest with ya, I've always thought them Slipknot fellas were a bunch a turkeys but hey... just 'cause I don't like 'em don't make 'em bad right? RIP mate. I haven't heard much 'bout him before, but from all the talk he sounded like an alright ocker and he gave life a good go aye? Plus he had a little fella on the way which makes this whole thing a lot more tragic. RIP mate... RIP.
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by get ta led out!
I'll do it. Mine's kind of personal..

Thats even better. Really show your thoughts
RIP Tom Searle.
I'll contribute. I'll PM you shortly with mine
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy

You sir deserve to be butraped by a giant chode, end of story.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ishmonkey
You sir deserve to be butraped by a giant chode, end of story.

Ignore the troll. He got reported, so the Mods will deal with him

My inbox is filling up quite nicely, btw.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by im not mental
wrote one up. sending it in now

Got it
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy

9 men. 1 band 1 direction 1 heart.

RIP paul gray.
"Wrath is not a sin"
I play PS3 , Psn: g-tibbert . Add me up!
This just got approved by the UG Office. Hell yeah.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by MH400
This just got approved by the UG Office. Hell yeah.

Wooooo!

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
oh god, sid's speech is heartwarming

EDIT: also, Craig's first time for breaking the rule of never appearing unmasked in public. Show's how important this is to him.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 26, 2010,
Quote by newbie08
Well, mate, to be honest with ya, I've always thought them Slipknot fellas were a bunch a turkeys but hey... just 'cause I don't like 'em don't make 'em bad right? RIP mate. I haven't heard much 'bout him before, but from all the talk he sounded like an alright ocker and he gave life a good go aye? Plus he had a little fella on the way which makes this whole thing a lot more tragic. RIP mate... RIP.

This had better make the article.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I'll make one up and send it in.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by newbie08

Holy shit, you are one seriously Australian guy. Haha.

I'm not poetic and personal enough to actually contribute, or want anything published, but I do want to let it all right now anyway. Slipknot... These guys were my biggest heroes between the ages of maybe 12 to 16. I was obsessed purely with rap music before these guys and had known nothing about metal outside of fellow nu-metal band, Linkin Park. I found the self-titled album sitting in a relatives house, and it really just caught my attention because it scared the shit out of me. He showed me some of their videos, which again, scared the shit out of me. And then I had my moment where I realized I was absolutely loving what I was hearing. From there on, metal will never stop from me. The sense of... empowerment that I got out of hearing this... I've never felt anything else as strongly as that (well, there's love, but that's neither here nor there). This band, along with any other band "gothy" teenagers tend to get into, Korn, Marilyn Manson, so forth, they all made me not only withstand being the outcast, they made me ****ing love it. It felt incredible to walk around wearing clothes and blaring music in my headphones that bothered people, and see them looking at me the way they did, and know myself that I am the better person that doesn't judge what I'm not used to. I've moved on to metalcore and progressive metal nowadays, and my attire is simply blue jeans and a band tee, but these bands that moved me into metal, especially Slipknot, they are the reason I think the way I do now, and most importantly the reason I ever picked up an instrument, hoping that one day I can make somebody else feel something through my music. Thank you, Slipknot, and R.I.P. Paul. You've made me who I am.

"YOU CAN'T KILL ME, CUZ I'M ALREADY INSIDE YOU."
Slipknot were the first rock band i actually ever got into, back when Vol 3 came out. it opened my eyes to something that was not the norm. there was always something in the music that pushed the boundaries, whether it was the guitar lines, Corey's voice, the drums or anything. As i got older i started to wander away from slipknot, finding some of their music a bit samey. but when the new record came out i went and bought it regardless. they were the first band i enjoyed listening to and they made me who i am. the way they perform on stage greatly inspired me in my on stage performance. and the way the whole band seemed like a single entity, not 9 guys in masks was remarkable. they may get another bassist. but no-one will ever fill the void of Paul Gray, he was a remarkable bassist, never overplaying, just laying down the foundations for the rest of the band to play around, the hardest kind of bassist to find. The band may continue but the solidarity of that bass is lost forever. there is nothing and noone that can replace that.

Slipknot as a band may continue, but as an entity, their soul died with Paul.
R.I.P. may you lay down the lines needed to keep that rock band in the sky going. peace.
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by metacarpi
This had better make the article.

no, this australian talk is turning into a meme, and a stupid one that only aussies understand at that.
Page 1 of 2