i've noticed that i've been doing the same licks over and over and its getting boring for me. i'm trying to come up with some cool new licks, but during this time i'd like to hear some suggestions for some cool Metal licks that i could practice and could help me get better. i mostly get my solos from my modes and i know all of them. anybody got some cool modal licks they wanna share? and, if you could, please include what key it is in. thank you
No licks, just some simple advise:

Stop playing and start listening. Stop just letting your fingers run through things you know and really listen and think about the sounds you want to make.

Also... I would bet money that you don't "know your modes" you just think you do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
no, honestly i do know my modes. is there some sort of meaning behind that or do you just think i don't know them?
Quote by rocker1122
no, honestly i do know my modes. is there some sort of meaning behind that or do you just think i don't know them?

i can smell the word "mode" from miles away.

let me ask you two questions:

1) is the major scale the exact same thing as the ionian mode (in every way)?
2) if you have a chord progression in Bb that goes Bbmaj - Cmin - Fmaj - Aº, do you play Bb major, C dorian, F mixolydian, and A locrian?

if you answered yes to either question, you don't know your modes.

EDIT: i should really be more useful.

i agree with ZB up there. don't think in terms of licks. start listening and start thinking about your phrasing more.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at May 26, 2010,
Quote by AeolianWolf

2) if you have a chord progression in Bb that goes Bbmaj - Cmin - Fmaj - Aº, do you play Bb major, C dorian, F mixolydian, and A locrian?

if you answered yes...you don't know your modes.

True that. Although if you answered "yes" to a multiple choice question you may have other problems too.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
True that. Although if you answered "yes" to a multiple choice question you may have other problems too.

probably should have phrased that better. but i think i conveyed the general meaning well enough.

i hope.
Find a backing track and start humming and/or think of melodies that would fit. Work them out on guitar and write them down on a paper in tablature. Then you could spice your new licks up with legato, slides, vibrato etc...
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i can smell the word "mode" from miles away.

let me ask you two questions:

1) is the major scale the exact same thing as the ionian mode (in every way)?

if you answered yes to either question, you don't know your modes.

EDIT: i should really be more useful.

i agree with ZB up there. don't think in terms of licks. start listening and start thinking about your phrasing more.

well, hey, i know how to play them. i've memorized my modes, is what i meant. i'm putting them to good use in terms of thinking of some new licks and writing twin guitar harmonies (which are actually really fun).

but thank you anyway for the help in that edit
thank you to everyone who responded, i hope for more but the advice given is helpful regardless
Quote by rocker1122
thank you to everyone who responded, i hope for more but the advice given is helpful regardless

i'm not going to stick my nose any further in the modes business here.

basically, the secret is conscious thought. be aware of what you're doing.
Quote by rocker1122
well, hey, i know how to play them. i've memorized my modes, is what i meant. i'm putting them to good use in terms of thinking of some new licks and writing twin guitar harmonies (which are actually really fun).

but thank you anyway for the help in that edit

I'm going to sound like a complete cock right now so I'm sorry for that.

You almost certainly haven't "memorised your modes", I would bet money on you having gone through the major scale in "modes" and "positions" and thought that modes work that way. Which they don't. Modes are much more complicated and involve things like where chord progressions resolve to, tension and release from a theory point of view and so on. I'd bet money on whenever you think you're using a "mode" you are actually just using either different physical positions of the major/minor scales or you're using accidentals over a non-modal progression.

There, I'm done. I'm not sorry at all.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm going to sound like a complete cock right now so I'm sorry for that.

You almost certainly haven't "memorised your modes", I would bet money on you having gone through the major scale in "modes" and "positions" and thought that modes work that way. Which they don't. Modes are much more complicated and involve things like where chord progressions resolve to, tension and release from a theory point of view and so on. I'd bet money on whenever you think you're using a "mode" you are actually just using either different physical positions of the major/minor scales or you're using accidentals over a non-modal progression.

There, I'm done. I'm not sorry at all.

i play metal. why would i be using the major scale? i'd probably start a solo in Aeolian and move either up or down to the next mode and so on.

i accept you're apology in the beginning. i really hope you're saying all this to help and not to hurt
Quote by rocker1122
i play metal. why would i be using the major scale? i'd probably start a solo in Aeolian and move either up or down to the next mode and so on.

yeah, you don't use the modes. you're just playing a minor scale in different positions.
i can accept that for now. i'm 15, i've got plenty of time to learn. i'll start now, anyone willing to teach? or should i just go surfing the net for lessons?
Quote by rocker1122
i can accept that for now. i'm 15, i've got plenty of time to learn. i'll start now, anyone willing to teach? or should i just go surfing the net for lessons?

It's very simple really: ignore modes for now, they will serve no purpose other than to confuse you.

The minor scale is a set of intervals, once you apply that set of intervals to a key you get a scale of notes, in the case of A minor that's ABCDEFG. Those notes appear all over the neck, whenever you think you've been "changing modes" you've actually just been moving up the scale and playing it in a different physical position but that doesn't change the fact that you're in A natural minor (no, not A aeolian).

Also you should really make some effort to truly understand the major scale, all western music theory is built off that one scale and it is absolutely key to really understanding anything.

Read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns Start on part one and don't move from one idea to another until you understand everything you've read, theory is built on a solid foundation of basic ideas and if you don't understand those you certainly won't be able to get your head around the more advanced concepts.

If you have any questions about the articles go to the Musician Talk forum, they really know their stuff in there a whole lot better than I do.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's very simple really: ignore modes for now, they will serve no purpose other than to confuse you.

The minor scale is a set of intervals, once you apply that set of intervals to a key you get a scale of notes, in the case of A minor that's ABCDEFG. Those notes appear all over the neck, whenever you think you've been "changing modes" you've actually just been moving up the scale and playing it in a different physical position but that doesn't change the fact that you're in A natural minor (no, not A aeolian).

Also you should really make some effort to truly understand the major scale, all western music theory is built off that one scale and it is absolutely key to really understanding anything.

Read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns Start on part one and don't move from one idea to another until you understand everything you've read, theory is built on a solid foundation of basic ideas and if you don't understand those you certainly won't be able to get your head around the more advanced concepts.

If you have any questions about the articles go to the Musician Talk forum, they really know their stuff in there a whole lot better than I do.

thanks a lot, man. you've been a big help in my understanding of musical theory and i appreciate it