Mission: Rhythm guitar playing mostly through a '65 twin reverb reissue. Just curious which pups would give (better/ideal?) warmth on a high gain/low tone.

Heard the '57s were REALLY on the bright tonal side, just collecting thoughts.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
You're playing through a '65 Twin Reverb. Anything's going to be bright through that amp. I'd go with the Hot Rodders if you want definition at low volume. If you've got room to crank it, the '57's.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yeah that's what I figured. Saving up for one right now just because I have heard so many good things about it. Is it more ideal for a lead player?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
57'classics are great . if your a fan of angus young of AC/DC he uses 57' classic's in his SG's
actually angus uses his own modified version of the '57 Classic called the "angus young"
pretty sure he's been known to use gibson dirty fingers as well but don't quote me on that'

to the TS, I would go with the '57 classics, I actually played one yestrday at GC through an SG RI. They sounded fantastic.
Last edited by handbanana at May 27, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
actually angus uses his own modified version of the '57 Classic called the "angus young"
pretty sure he's been known to use gibson dirty fingers as well but don't quote me on that'

to the TS, I would go with the '57 classics, I actually played one yestrday at GC through an SG RI. They sounded fantastic.

All BS. He uses the stock pickups in SG standards (498T).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
All BS. He uses the stock pickups in SG standards (498T).

It's not all BS, Dave. Angus uses the stock pickups that come in the guitars most of the time. That being said, Angus has used several different SG's over the years and the pickups are different depending on which model it is. The '61 Reissues have the '57 Classics and Angus does have a few of them. Modern SG Standards have the 498T & 490R pickups and he has a few of them, too. Angus does have a signature pickup with Gibson, which is a modded '57 Classic. It is used in a couple of his signature SG's, the third one has Seymour Duncans in it. I'd say it has also made it's way into some of his live guitars, too. They say Angus sweats alot when playing live and it has caused the electronics in his guitars to stop working. That means his tech has to replace stuff, including pickups. So there's a good chance his tech has installed his sig pickup into some of his live guitars.