enough with the dramatics. i have a 72 Tele Deluxe RI. it's an alder body tele, maple neck, and "wide-range" humbuckers. the 'buckers are mostly a gimmick, just regular 'buckers in a wide-range cover and some cloth to fill the spaces. however, i've come to be dissatisfied with the stock 'buckers. the neck is great, but a tad muddy and a bit overly bassy on a lot of settings. the bridge is the one i'm least happy with. it's not a rounded pup at all. terribly sharp and brittle, with very little low end at all, which while i do realize is a sort of point with bridges, i want some bass so it's a more rounded pup and not just an icepick. the point where i'm having most difficulty is the body wood. as far as i understand, alder is a brighter wood that most others, which poses a problem with pups. i'm looking for a well rounded set, with a neck that gets a nice smooth, glassy and bell-like tone, and a bridge that can get snarly but isn't overly bright. i've been considering getting a local pickup maker to handwire me a pair of P90's, but i thought i'd seek suggestions from the know-it-alls here at GG&A. don't worry much about price point. i mostly play post-rock and ambient style music, with indie tangents also, along the lines of Minus The Bear, Sharks Keep Moving, Spoon and Death Cab. thanks for any help you've got.

tl;dr version: alder body, needs pickups. not too bright, not too dark. rounded. go.
I think you're on the right track... P90s would suit you well. Or even a humbucker in the neck and a p90 in the bridge.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
riogrande pickups
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan