Page 1 of 2
Hey I'm wondering.... I'm playing guitar for about 2 years now and still... I don't know i'm playing Slipknot, Bullet For My Valentine, and good headbanging stuff like that but I kinda need help to pick just like Matt Tuck in his videos.

When It comes to fast pick I have to place my hand in a position I am uncomfortable with, witch means , I'm putting my palm just like a palm mute but on the guitar body and my picking doesnt sounds good... I'd like to pick like my other friends but I can't...

Any Advices?
if it doesnt sound good and your uncomfortable your probaboy not doing it right
practice picking like you normally do just faster or try different picking positions till you find one that works
Are you using your arm mostly?
Use your wrist also, that should help.

And like the other dude said, if it sounds bad and its uncomfortable, you're not doing it right. Experiment.

Look at some Michael Angelo Batio videos, he uses his fingers.
There's more than one way to do it.
Quote by jamesroot666
Hey I'm wondering.... I'm playing guitar for about 2 years now and still... I don't know i'm playing Slipknot, Bullet For My Valentine, and good headbanging stuff like that but I kinda need help to pick just like Matt Tuck in his videos.

When It comes to fast pick I have to place my hand in a position I am uncomfortable with, witch means , I'm putting my palm just like a palm mute but on the guitar body and my picking doesnt sounds good... I'd like to pick like my other friends but I can't...

Any Advices?

Stop trying to play like Matt Tuck. Firstly he's not that good but secondly and mainly because trying to play like other people physically is a bad idea, what works for them may not work for you and if it doesn't work for you but you force it anyway you'll end up in some uncomfortable and unnatural positions that may even injure your hands/wrists.

Find a position that is comfortable for YOU and work with that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Stop trying to play like Matt Tuck. Firstly he's not that good but secondly and mainly because trying to play like other people physically is a bad idea, what works for them may not work for you and if it doesn't work for you but you force it anyway you'll end up in some uncomfortable and unnatural positions that may even injure your hands/wrists.

Find a position that is comfortable for YOU and work with that.

You are kidding right ??
Quote by kian89
You are kidding right ??

Yes, I am absolutely joking, Matt's skills are absolutely brilliant

Srsly: Matt isn't that good. Not by a long shot.

And double posting is bad.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

He's an artist and a good one .. and you are not suppose to say something like that for someone who had accomplished alot
Yeah, it is best not to try to copy his technique and just mess around until you find something that works for YOU! Use your wrist more for picking though, not your arm. Matt tuck isn't AMAZING, but hes definitely good at what he does. I like BFMV and their riffs and playing is great for metalcore. Idolizing any one guitarist too much is bad, but disrespecting one too much is also kind of bad. It's really all opinions. If everyone loved the same bands and hated the same ones the world's musical taste wouldn't be that interesting would it?
Just my 2cents.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by kian89
He's an artist and a good one .. and you are not suppose to say something like that for someone who had accomplished alot

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that the main factor in whether someone was good or not was success and accomplishment.

I'll say whatever I like about his technique and playing and I stand by my saying he's not that good. Even if we're talking within the relatively limited relms of "metal rhythm playing" he's not that good, especially when you look at people like Muhammad from Nercophagist, Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth, Jeff Loomis from Nevermore...

I'm sure I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

what you said before i totaly agree with you shouldnt try and copy someones style, find your own but the rest is habadash!

Edit: i dont want drama :C
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Last edited by Spitty33 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by kian89

How good of an artist he is (subjective) has fuck all to do with how good his technique or chops are. Matt is not that great when compared to players like Michael Romeo, Chris Broderick, or any of the guys Zaphod mentioned. And since this thread is about technique then that's all that bloody well matters.

Now go read the stickies like a good little boy.
Quote by kian89
Matt Tuck

In all seriousness, play how you feel is comfortable. Like Zaphod said, if you are uncomfortable playing the way you are it will only lead to injury, and likely, an injury which will seriously hinder/prevent you from playing.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

if you think Matt Tuck is the best then I suppose all those tech-death guitarists are wasting their time..
Quote by Arterial
if you think Matt Tuck is the best then I suppose all those tech-death guitarists are wasting their time..

To be honest I think a lot of tech-death guitarists do suck, huge amounts of them do nothing but sweeping and tapping and have dodgy picking and terrible vibrato. Call me crazy but while they're not the fastest I say that Muhammad from Necrophagist and the guys from Obscura are probably the best in tech-death because they have the most solid all around technique.

Case in point: Viraemia.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
To be honest I think a lot of tech-death guitarists do suck, huge amounts of them do nothing but sweeping and tapping and have dodgy picking and terrible vibrato. Call me crazy but while they're not the fastest I say that Muhammad from Necrophagist and the guys from Obscura are probably the best in tech-death because they have the most solid all around technique.

I saw a tech death band on teh Youtube and whilst they had a solid enough rhythm playing, they did sweep and tap an awful lot, and it didn't even sound that great, but when they went to do some picking runs it sounded sloppy and their vibrato was non existent. Not all tech-death bands are like this, but I'm just pointing out.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Look actually I don't care about what your saying about Matt Tuck like, he maybe isn't a good rythm but I like the style he plays and I like the attitude he gives on stage with his picking style. I only wanted to know coz im downpicking a lot and I dont know how to place my hand right to play right coz on my amp it sounds good but it touch my strings at a point that I heard a little noise tha pisses me off so yeah...

Basicly, it is one of the only technique I wanna learn with sweep... so wtv...
Quote by jamesroot666
Look actually I don't care about what your saying about Matt Tuck like, he maybe isn't a good rythm but I like the style he plays and I like the attitude he gives on stage with his picking style. I only wanted to know coz im downpicking a lot and I dont know how to place my hand right to play right coz on my amp it sounds good but it touch my strings at a point that I heard a little noise tha pisses me off so yeah...

Basicly, it is one of the only technique I wanna learn with sweep... so wtv...

He picks the strings from top of it ...
feelin' me ??
Top of the string ,, head of the string ...

ive tried to do that but couldnt do that
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

yeah when I was thinking of tech-death i was thinking of muhammed/necrophagist/obscura.
I never said that he is best ...
but he's good where he stands ...
and why are you comparing Matt wit technical death metal bands ??
he's a Metalcore rhythm guitarist and is pretty good with it ...
Quote by kian89
I never said that he is best ...
but he's good where he stands ...
and why are you comparing Matt wit technical death metal bands ??
he's a Metalcore rhythm guitarist and is pretty good with it ...

Let's see, metalcore rhythm players who are better than Tuck... Matt Heafy, the guys from The Agonist, Zacky Vengeance, the guys from Devildriver, Dino Cazares with his work in Divine Heresey, the guys from Five Finger Death Punch... I'm sure I could go on and on with this but this is as far as I can be bothered with.

This is a short list taken from my no-very-core music collection just within the bounds of what I consider to be metalcore, once you start to include other genres in there it becomes extremely clear: Tuck just isn't that good.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
if he thinks matt tucks good, when he hears holy wars he's head will explode....
or marty friedmans playing all together.
its all relative. who cares, everyone is entitled to an opinion. tech death is lame. no skill at all, just raw stamina. i find techniques to feel awkward at first but once i use them more and get the hang of them they arent bad. maybe you should just keep on practicing. even matt tuck didnt pick up the guitar and start playin like he does (pretty mediocre)
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
no skill at all, just raw stamina.

You've been listening to the wrong tech-death. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8T4cJmyrMA&feature=related In terms of pure stamina that song doesn't take much but dear god it is technical as all hell. Also worth a listen is anything else by Necrophagist and anything by Obscura.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
its all relative. who cares, everyone is entitled to an opinion. tech death is lame. no skill at all, just raw stamina. i find techniques to feel awkward at first but once i use them more and get the hang of them they arent bad. maybe you should just keep on practicing. even matt tuck didnt pick up the guitar and start playin like he does (pretty mediocre)

Wow, so ignorant of a whole genre aren't we?

Either way, in the grand scheme of metalcore players, Matt Tuck's technique is pretty poor, that's not subjective, that's pretty objective. Subjective is the music he writes, but that's not in question here.

EGGEDIT: Yes you need stamina, but without the right technique, you'll fail horribly.
I point you in the direction of Emil Werstler, member of Daath. If you don't see the technique here you are incredibly stupid
Quote by dark&broken

Last edited by eggo_boi_15 at May 27, 2010,

Any Advices?

To echo Zaph, stop this, this and this.

Start working on getting a relaxed hand position and good sound and then slowly building up the speed.
intresting how people are trying to conclude that tuck is bad by listing people who are better than him. What is it about his playing that is "not that good"

btw im not trying to stir you up, im genuinely interested
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Let's see, metalcore rhythm players who are better than Tuck... Matt Heafy, the guys from The Agonist, Zacky Vengeance, the guys from Devildriver, Dino Cazares with his work in Divine Heresey, the guys from Five Finger Death Punch... I'm sure I could go on and on with this but this is as far as I can be bothered with.

This is a short list taken from my no-very-core music collection just within the bounds of what I consider to be metalcore, once you start to include other genres in there it becomes extremely clear: Tuck just isn't that good.

Out of this list ive heard about The Agonist (in which rhythm guitarist doesnt sing)
Zacky V , who is kinda ok

if you are mentioning bands without a record deal ,then i think these bands are not a part of our argument .
but im gonna check them out and see what they've got ..
and if you really wanted to mention a guitarist better than Tuck ,you could've mentioned Alexi *whatever* from children of bodom
Last edited by kian89 at May 28, 2010,
intresting how people are trying to conclude that tuck is bad by listing people who are better than him. What is it about his playing that is "not that good"

No-one's trying to say he's bad - just that he's far from the best player in that genre. I believe that means he qualifies as good, but not that good.

if you are mentioning bands without a record deal ,then i think these bands are not a part of our argument .

Man, I don't listen to any -core at all and I've heard all those bands. Dig a little deeper into your genre and you'll be surprised how many bands are out there.

I dont know how to place my hand right to play right coz on my amp it sounds good but it touch my strings at a point that I heard a little noise tha pisses me off so yeah...

Try this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

and possibly this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4
Quote by Freepower

Man, I don't listen to any -core at all and I've heard all those bands. Dig a little deeper into your genre and you'll be surprised how many bands are out there.

Ya bro thats what i'm trying to do ..
+ I was wondring if you can help with some arpeggio tips ???
I would really love you for that
Quote by kian89

He's an okay artist. If you want to see a good artist, look up Mr. Jeff Loomis. Mr. Loomis has accomplished a TON.
Quote by kian89

The guy writes Standard metal-core. His writing isn't phenomenal, but ok, he's accomplished a lot. Still, he's not that technically accomplished of a guitarist, or even that good of a composer of guitar riffs and solos. Success=/=Technical Skill. If that were true, Tom Delonge or any other guy in a meh band would be a sick technician.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You've been listening to the wrong tech-death. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8T4cJmyrMA&feature=related In terms of pure stamina that song doesn't take much but dear god it is technical as all hell. Also worth a listen is anything else by Necrophagist and anything by Obscura.

The irony being that the guitarist playing the RR V's shirt had 'Stamina' sprawled across the chest.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Freepower
Well, if I did I might have put it in the massive sticky somewhere.

Check the technique link in my sig.

i was looking for a video lesson man ...
and what m i suppose to check ??
If you go to the top of this forum, there's a huuuuuge sticky called "READ THIS STICKY (guide to all techniques)".

If you go through that until you reach sweep picking, there's a little link to a video lesson.

You did click the link in my sig, yeah? That takes you straight to it.
Quote by Freepower
If you go to the top of this forum, there's a huuuuuge sticky called "READ THIS STICKY (guide to all techniques)".

If you go through that until you reach sweep picking, there's a little link to a video lesson.

yes bro i did ...
and i did it again , but still couldnt find any link for video lesson
Quote by Freepower

Got it !!!
but i've already seen it ..
Page 1 of 2