Poll: Yngwie or JP
Poll Options
View poll results: Yngwie or JP
Yngwie Malmsteen
12 27%
John Petrucci
33 73%
Voters: 45.
So I was bored and started playing my Fender YJM, messing around with some Far Beyond the Sun. Then I got bored of that, and went on to the Count of Tuscany on my ESP M-II. After doing this, I don't know which one I prefer. What about you guys? I know music is not about a competition and crap like that, but I'm just curious about your opinions on their technique, tone, and general songwriting.
Well, obviously, one of the two options is a progressive songwriter who's not bad at lyrics, pretty good at interesting composition, and really ****ing technically good. The other one is a sociopath stuck in the 80's still wearing exotic fur vests, trying to play guitar faster than Dragonforce while still looking more retarded than said disgustipating band, and lastly who's songs sound like cheesy knock-offs of something heard many decades ago, done much better before, if I may say so.
Oh yeah...
ummm
Petrucci!

Yngwie is the most pompous ass I've ever seen in my entire life
But GOD DAMN he's one sic shredder
John is one of those guys who always tears it up; there's a reason he's been in G3 6 times, more than any other guitar player.

I really wouldn't compare them because of their genres( John is more Prog. and Yngwie is more Neoclassical) but skill wise, I'd say they would be pretty close. They both are unbelievably clean and fast, they both have some feel in their songs (more John), and both are crazy technical (again, more John) but with John backed up with an actual functioning band I'd say the writing is better in Dream Theater...
Hell, who am I kidding, everything about Dream Theater is better

Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Last edited by Fadetoblack5:03 at May 26, 2010,
Both are extremely talented, original, and innovative, and they are both way too different to compare.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Petrucci. He doesn't sound the same as much as Yngwie.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
How is this even close?

John Petrucci all the way.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Neither is a favourite, but I prefer Yngwie.

I've heard John's solo material, his work with DT and his work with LTE. He's certainly got some terrifying technique, and I do like some of what he's done, but his playing just doesn't really do it for me. I don't like his tone(I actually actively dislike it) or how he articulates the notes he plays. I suppose it doesn't help him either that I really don't like LaBrie's voice.

I don't like much of what Yngwie has done (though more than what I've enjoyed from JP), but I think he's had a lot of great tones (Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy) and his vibrato is fantastic. I really do think that most of the "shreddy nonsense" he releases is purely him catering to the speed freaks that make up most of his audience.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page

I've heard John's solo material, his work with DT and his work with LTE. He's certainly got some terrifying technique, and I do like some of what he's done, but his playing just doesn't really do it for me. I don't like his tone(I actually actively dislike it) or how he articulates the notes he plays. I suppose it doesn't help him either that I really don't like LaBrie's voice.

I don't like much of what Yngwie has done (though more than what I've enjoyed from JP), but I think he's had a lot of great tones (Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy) and his vibrato is fantastic. I really do think that most of the "shreddy nonsense" he releases is purely him catering to the speed freaks that make up most of his audience.

Crucify HIM!!!!!
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by Prophet of Page

hah good too see some of the older cats making their rounds.

John Petrucci should take a retreat from guitar playing for a while and come back with something fresh. His playing has to be the most contrived now amongst modern guitar players. His playing is like this obscenely bloated propaganda on guitar technique and its benefits to society. Cannot stand it his playing or the rotten carcass and parody of the word "progressive" that DT is.

That said, at this stage I can't take Yngwie's playing either. The only difference is, Yngwie has never and will never give a ****. So that kinda elevates him in my book. In fact, when I get bored trying to figure Coltrane changes, I jump into the opening riff from "Krakatau" to give me some perspective on life and the universe, etc.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
hah good too see some of the older cats making their rounds

Yeah nice to see you round here!
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I LIKE Yngwie better. but if you gave them a genre different from usual it would be at about the same skill level. theyre hard to compare though since different genres but i would have to go with Yngwie
Gear:

Dean V United Abominations etd
Squier/Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez Exotic Zebrawood
Yamaha Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Peavey KB500
Honeytone Mini
Cage 125 watt
Honer Bluesband Harmonica
Jaw Harp

to be increased soon hopefully
John Petrucci all the way, for basically the same reasons that have been previously stated. And the fact that John isn't an arrogant asshole is a big plus for me as well, but that doesn't affect the skills.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2
Marshall VM 4x12

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
ESP LTD EC-1000
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
I find John Petrucci's playing to be a little bit more interesting, but I enjoy both of them.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
John Petrucci should take a retreat from guitar playing for a while and come back with something fresh. His playing has to be the most contrived now amongst modern guitar players. His playing is like this obscenely bloated propaganda on guitar technique and its benefits to society. Cannot stand it his playing or the rotten carcass and parody of the word "progressive" that DT is.
Woah dude calm down. John Petrucci is a man who is simply more disciplined than most when it comes to the guitar, that doesn't make him contrived.
Inhuman evil take down!
I think Yngwie has the upper hand when it comes to technique, but JP's music is a lot more interesting.
For speed, versatility and accuracy/cleanliness JP has him beat.

But in terms of phrasing (especially vibrato), Yngwie shits on him. His vibrato is probably the best I've ever heard, along with Marty Friedman and Gary Moore.
Yngwie all the way, He has the best vibrato in the world, and his older stuff is amazing.

John petrucci is a machine, and he can't improvise for toffee.
Quote by griffRG7321
Yngwie all the way, He has the best vibrato in the world, and his older stuff is amazing.

John petrucci is a machine, and he can't improvise for toffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvRDgv1uib4

At around 4:10, it is all improvised. This came before The Count of Tuscany btw.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Petrucci wins any day in my book
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

I prefer Yngwie Malmsteen to Petrucci, it's probably because I like a lot of classical music.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Personally I find Petrucci's music quite boring and gimmicky, and he's like watching grass grow on stage....

Malmsteen is quite repetitive, but seems to be spontaneous at times and is a lot better to watch....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I really respect Petrucci, I mean how can you not give props to someone who's achieved even half of what he has? But I gotta say I don't enjoy listening to him. His tone and playing are very sterile to my ear. I've tried many times to enjoy Dream Theater but I just don't seem to be able to.

Yngwie has life and energy and raw emotional power in his playing and I really dig it. He's a very improvisational guitarist and that gives his playing a level of freedom that just shines through everything he does. And his tone is just to die for.

Both of them have the capacity to write lyrics and vocal melodies that make me cringe.
Petrucci is a much more well-rounded musician than Yngwie.
Also, I have to agree with Axegrinder, after that last album, I really think they need to lay back and think things through before their next album.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I used to find Petrucci "talented but sterile sounding" as some people say, but after a while of focussing on his playing on Dream Theater records I came to enjoy him a lot more. Like most things it's enjoyable once the ear gets used to it.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by sheumack111
Personally I find Petrucci's music quite boring and gimmicky, and he's like watching grass grow on stage....

Malmsteen is quite repetitive, but seems to be spontaneous at times and is a lot better to watch....

I like Yngwie more, but I do like Petrucci a lot. Out of curiosity, how is Petrucci's music gimmicky?
Petrucci. By far
His music has evolved over the years, i disagree on the 'sterile' part. Listen to his solos from the album 'Falling into infinity' and you'll see a lot of bluesy soloing, 'Systematic Chaos' has his signature shreds, His older stuff has a lot of technique too. His solo album 'Suspended Animation' contains few of the best guitar instrumental songs i've ever heard. Listen to Tunnel Vision , Animate Inanimate etc. WAY more broad musically than Ynwie. Ynwie has godlike technique, but he doesn't use it as openmindedly as JP.
Overall, JP
Yngwie for me, I find his playing to be more energetic and flamboyant (as others have stated), especially when he was young. And I find Petrucci's ultra-smooth tone to be downright annoying, while Yngwie's tone was amazing in his early days. Petrucci is still a good player imo though.

If you've never seen them before, check out the youtube videos of Yngwie when he was in Alcatrazz. If the term god-like could ever be applied to a guitarist, it was him at that time. Unfortunately his technique, writing, tone, and pretty much every other aspect of his playing took a total nose dive after Trilogy. He has gotten a little better recently though. He's cleaned up his sloppy playing from the 90's and started to make better music.

As far as their attitudes go, I couldn't care less if either is a jerk or not. In fact, one of my favorite things about Yngwie is the fact that he knows he's good and he's not afraid to say it.
Quote by bnull24
Quotes in signatures are lame.
Last edited by bnull24 at Jul 20, 2010,
I like Yngwie up until trilogy, however I think that Petrucci has been more consistent throughout his career
Very difficult... I FAR preferred them in their first years of success: Malmsteen on his first three albums (and especially Alcatrazz!) is just mindblowing, primarily (for me) due to that unbelievable bending and vibrato (end of Overture 1383 anyone?), but after that car crash around 88ish he lost my attention.

I saw Petrucci at The Marquee in London in 92 and he was SO hot it was ridiculous!

But in recent years (in fact from Awake onwards - apart from LTE and Explorers Club which are great!) he's had an abrasive edge to his playing that I'm not copacetic with - and since he's been doing all that Rusty Cooley studying I actively dislike much of what he does, particularly live.

When he thinks melodically he's great - as is Yng.

I dunno, in the end I'd have to say that Yngwie (despite the fact that he's become a parody (of a parody!) of himself) is the most important player if you look at the influence he had, but nowadays I (just!) probably prefer John. (just wish he'd have a rethink on his approach and got back to Images & Words/LTE tones/emotion and approach).
Last edited by owenvaughan at Jul 21, 2010,
Tbh, it's really not possible to choose, on one hand you have Malmsteen, who is more or less the 'Jimmy Hendrix' of shred, oh the other hand you have Petrucci, who has taken an idea and 'run with it' as it were.

You can't honestly compare them, to me that's like comparing Deep Purple or early Sabbath with AJFA Metallica/Opeth, it's just 2 different ways of treating the same thing, one builds on the other, but at the same time, it couldn't exist without the other
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
Tone = Yngwie. It just sounds like a guitar instead of distortion.

Tecnique = Petrucci is much more complete in such department but Yngwie plays all his stuff thru' improvisation only which is highly impressive.

Songwriting (solo-wise) = Yngwie. He is pure feeling while Petrucci is mechanical.

Songwriting (not-solo-wise) = I have no opinion.