Hey guys,

For a few years I've been playing a Dual Rectifier 3 Chan. and it's been great. Although I have been feeling it sounds a little too... too metal. I've been messing with my knobs the last few weeks to see if I could get a better, less gainy rock tone but it seems to lose 'life' when the gain is not at least to 11 o'clock. I've been looking at a few amps, and the Vox AC30 is looking, and after demoing today, sounding pretty good. If it were in my budget, and available to try before buying somewhere, I would look into the beautiful white AC30H2, but I cannot find one locally. Basically I have minimal experience with VOX and am looking for some opinions from some gear guru's in this forum. I run a lot of pedals and HATE that there is not a footswitchable fx loop toggle, and cannot believe there is not a channel toggle on the footswitch, but I figured I will just have to do a fancy little daisy chain with a couble a/b switches for those. I am looking for (before some other things are added) a basic 30 Seconds to Mars, Angels & Airwaves, AFI, Incubus tonal possibilities. Do you think this is going to be possible and a smart move? Sorry for the novel.

Thanks in advance!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Have you tried a 2-channel Rectifier?

I believe the Single Rectifier is a bit better for lower gain styles as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well you could try rolling the gain back and turn the volume up...it should give you a thicker tone without killing you with gain, but your ear gives you your best advice. Do you need two channels? If not, maybe try pushing your clean channel into overdrive. Hope this helps.
Quote by stevenpollock
30 Seconds to Mars, Angels & Airwaves, AFI, Incubus

i would think a recto could quite possibly NAIL those tones.
i dont know about A&AW but the other three....

i like Oranges more than Apples, myself :\
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. The Rectifier does nail the 30STM, and the older AFI and Incubus tones quite well, but it's as if there's something missing. I haven't tried the 2 channel Rectifier, partly because it's a little expensive. Times are a little rough and I could use the extra cash I'd get with the difference with the AC30. The option to lower gain and turn up the master may help, but I'm already loud enough as it is. I have a loud drummer and I still turn down much lower at shows than I do at practice, so less wattage is seeming necessary. I frequently use 4 channels on the Rectifier, the red channel as my main, the orange for a bridge between the cleans and the main channel, and the lead as well as the pushed lead option for some songs. It would take some getting used to using only 2 channels, but I'm thinking it may encourage me to adapt better picking and strumming dynamics. You guys can check my bands myspace (link in my sig) and if you think some of the songs will sound weird with the AC30 then let me know! Or any other suggestions around the same price? Combo preferred. I'm so over the space and weight of a half stack. It's late, my grammar and sentence structuring is suffering.

Edit: I play primarily on a stock ES-335 or a Sonex with a Dirty Fingers, and ocasionally an Explorer with BBP's and a stock LP Studio if that is of any useful information.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at May 26, 2010,
Well I watched the first clip on your myspace. If that is representative then I'd say an AC30 would sound great. Bit of a boost in front for the heavier parts but in the cleaner passages it would shine.

Nice clip btw.

Edit. Listened to some of the other tracks. Ideally, run BOTH the Mesa and the AC30 and A/B them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 26, 2010,
I say get the ac30 keep it loud and proud and since you said you will have some extra cash from getting rid of the mesa invest in some nice od pedals and layer them up with zero or little gain on each, and there you have it that could take the place of your multiple channels and give the ac30 that extra bite you need but it will sound so much better
Awesome, I have a modded TS-808 that should do the trick. The specifc AC30 I'm looking at is the new Ac30c2. I've read good things by guitar magazines, but I've seen quite a few comments elsewhere that are complaining about the wood the enclosure is made of, and the fact that it has a solid state rectifier. If it's a durability issue, I'm not worried as it will be in a road case, and I'm not sure how the rectifier is affectingthe sound but the Mesa's have a solid state rectifier as well. The only cab I've ever liked the sound of are the Vintage 30's in th Mesa cabs, and with combo's being a different ball game, can't afford (or heard) the Alcino Blue's, so I would be buying the lower model with the Greenback's. What are your opinions on those speakers compared to the more expensive Blue's or my current Vintage 30's? Unfortunately I would be buying from GC, and I can't turn it up as loud as I need to in store, so I haven't been able to REALLY see for myself.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by Cathbard
Well I watched the first clip on your myspace. If that is representative then I'd say an AC30 would sound great. Bit of a boost in front for the heavier parts but in the cleaner passages it would shine.

Nice clip btw.

Edit. Listened to some of the other tracks. Ideally, run BOTH the Mesa and the AC30 and A/B them.

Countless musicians do that, and they usually sound great if you ask me... Joan Jett pops to mind, so does the guitarist of Them Crooked Vultures...

Maybe you could get a modded AC30 or get someone to mod it for you?
A SS rectifier shouldn't concern you in the slightest. The difference is pretty negligible. If anything a SS one would suit you better, for the miniscule difference it might make.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah but they do raise the voltage by a few volts, no that that hurts anything much but it's worth checking the bias again, esp if you bias on the hot side of things. It's not a lot of voltage and you usually get away with it. If it's designed from the get go to run a SS rectifier so much the better imo. For the TS's style of music why would you want sag?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification