edit: The V3 sounds like a good candidate to match the F-100. Any words on either? It seems that my only disadvantage is being able to try out the V3.

edit: Bump. I'm going to check out the Mesa F-100 combo tomorrow. Is it worth $950?

I'm downsizing from Peavey 5150 (Block letters) on a Mesa 4x12 cab.

My budget is <$1000.

Are there any particular models I should definitely try out? Likewise, stay away from? (Like how you would avoid Marshall's MG series)

I'm looking for something like a Buckethead, Guthrie Govan, and Paul Gilbert lead channel - distorted and aggressive but with clarity and without gain saturation.

I also play jazz... so something good cleans, too.

I'm also open to any other suggestions in different brands.

Thanks UG!
Last edited by jnukes2 at Jun 5, 2010,
Buckethead used Triple Rectifiers but recently switched to Stiletto Tridents (I think).

Guthrie Govan uses Cornford Hellcats (I think).

Paul Gilbert used to use Laneys, but now uses the Marshall Vintage Modern.

If you're dead set on a Mesa combo, go for a Tremoverb, Rect-o-Verb, Single Rectifier, a DC-5, F-50, or a Mark III or IV.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm completely aware of their main setups. I'm not exactly after their tones, but I'd like to be able to have a nice lead tone that's aggressive but not gainy.

Well... I'm not exactly "dead set" on a combo, I just think I need to downsize. I'm not gaga over my 5150 because

1. The shared EQ
2. The not-so-clean cleans
3. I can't crank it.

So instead of buying an attenuator and dealing with the other things I don't like about the 5150, I'd rather sell 'em both anyways since 4x12's aren't exactly too necessary for my situation and use the money for a good combo amp. Also, selling the 5150 alone won't help me too much in dishing out even more cash for a good head.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Mark IV combo.

Agreed.

You might be able to find a Mark IV combo on your budget, if you look really hard. It would be great for what you're after, but you might have to expand your budget a little.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Alrighty, the Mark IV looks like a good candidate.

unk0wn, why the Lonestar?

Anyone have any other suggestions?
I love the Mark III and IV but i wasn't a big fan of the Stiletto
<$1000 might be tricky for a Mark IV combo. Might have to raise the budget a few hundred for a good shape one.
Okay, I'll change my budget to $2000. Is the Mark IV really that good? If I expand my budget to this, what else can I look for?
I love my Tremoverb. Gets fantastic clean tones, and everything else on it is great too. I've seen combos sell on ebay for $800-ish...
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
with $2000, you can get a Mark V, a used Roasdster or used Road King
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Hmmmmm, okay. I'll look into that. eBay only has some heads in :[
mark v combo. i think u can get a new one with $2000 though used will save u some money.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Yeah, if you can go up to $2000, definitely, get the Mark V combo. I have the head as my main rig and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, I would trade it for a few extremely nice guitars, but....
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
How about the smaller amps. Studio 22 or DC-3 ? I dont have personal experience with them, but i heard they have a pretty mean dist. channel. And they are both true 2-channel amps.
I've been offered a F-100 combo for less than $1000. Any words on that? It looks like it's discontinued.
Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber Plus combo.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
mark iv combo gets my vote
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Bump. I'm going to check out this F-100 this weekend. Is it worth $950?
f-100. thats a lot of power. i've never played or heard a higher watt f series amp. i think the price may be a little high? is it a head or combo?
when your up around 950 you can find some quite nice amps, i wouldnt jump into buying anything.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Combo.

I looked up reviews and the lowest someone paid was $800, and the highest was $1400. The guy I'm talking about it to had ALL of the tubes replaced, too.
Bump. I'm going to check out the Mesa F-100 combo tomorrow. Is it worth $950?
Bumping again. I gotta know before tomorrow morning! I'm not looking for the "if it sounds good to your ears, then get it" answer. I'm wanting to know if the F-100 is worth its money, or if there are better combos in that price area. Better than the Carvin V3?
I love the trem-o-verb. I just got an electradyne in today that is actually really really cool. Other then that mark v.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by jnukes2
Bumping again. I gotta know before tomorrow morning! I'm not looking for the "if it sounds good to your ears, then get it" answer. I'm wanting to know if the F-100 is worth its money, or if there are better combos in that price area. Better than the Carvin V3?

Well im not really sure if its worth that in the US. Here in the EU you can barely get a bugera for the same price. An F100 would be more like $2000. So ofcourse, i think its a great deal.
Amp:
Bugera 333
Harley Benton G412A Vintage

Guitar:
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81 & 58

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
~ For all things Bugera
^Okay, so that sounds like it settles that the price for the F-100 is very reasonable.

The V3 sounds like a good candidate to match the F-100. Any words on either? It seems that my only disadvantage is being able to try out the V3.
Bump again! No one has anything to say??

I'm really really considering the V3 combo...!
$950 for an F-100 is way too much IMO, for $950, you could get a much better amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com