I really can't decide whether or not I should get a Lonestar Strat or a MIM Standard/Fat Strat.
The Lonestar is $100 more and comes with Seymour Duncan pearly gates for the bridge bucker and 2 Texas Special single coil neck pickups.

I really love the sound of the Lonestar and it does everything I want, but I really don't think I would be able to find it used. (I don't need a brand new guitar)

So basically:
Do I get a brand new Lonestar for $600 at GC.
or
Do I get a used Standard or Fat Strat used for around $300.

I don't really have a price range as I don't have any money right now, it just depends how long I want to save. I think I can get as good of a guitar as I would ever want with $600.

Also, some info on the Lonestar (pros vs cons) would be great.
Last edited by Uber_Kitty at May 26, 2010,
They are both tex-mex. I would get the standard MIM and save $100 upgrading to the SDs.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
They are both tex-mex. I would get the standard MIM and save $100 upgrading to the SDs.

Are the TS and SD pickups not worth $100 or are they just not worth spending any money on as there are better ones for the same price?
Quote by Uber_Kitty
Are the TS and SD pickups not worth $100 or are they just not worth spending any money on as there are better ones for the same price?

Like the idea of standard strat and add on the pickups...$100 on the pearly gates pickup i think, and you can probably get better single coils from sd or dimarzio pickups for 50-75 a piece. Or you can probably find endless loaded pickguards with what you want cheaper.
Quote by jhart08
Like the idea of standard strat and add on the pickups...$100 on the pearly gates pickup i think, and you can probably get better single coils from sd or dimarzio pickups for 50-75 a piece. Or you can probably find endless loaded pickguards with what you want cheaper.

Won't that make me spend around $600 on a strat that I am not sure how the sound will be?

If I like the sound on the Lonestar and I will spend the same amount of money upgrading a standard, shouldn't I just go for the Lonestar because I already like it?
Quote by Uber_Kitty

Yeah man. You can do all sorts of pickup goodness to a standard MIM that would defeat the Lonestar as far as what you are trying to accomplish. Buy the MIM barebone and strategize your playstyle down and get the pickups you think would do the best in your opinion. I guaruntee you could still duck under $600.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by rooster456
The price difference isn't solely in the electronics, remember that.

Any idea what hardware is better about the lonestar?
The Lonestar is a MIM Deluxe model and will (probably) have better fret dressing and overall quality control, and the body may be made out of less bits of wood. Also the pickups are better (or anyway more expensive!) than the standard.

The problem with the MIM standard is that it isn't seem to be a 'standard' product. If you go to a music store and try out five of them you may find one great one, one lowsy one and three ok ones. If you buy used I would make sure you have a look at the guitar first before you buy it.

The Deluxe guitars should, in theory, be of a better and more consistent quality. Don't forget you can also buy the SSS Roadhouse strat (also a Deluxe) and then put a humbucker of your choice in it if you don't like the pearly gates. The body should be HSS routed, so you'd just need to redo some electrics and get a new pickguard. Just a thought.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Most strats made before 2000 are HSH Routed if you're really worried about humbuckers.^^^^

The difference is going to be in the overall quality and feel. You're paying the extra $300 for a guitar that was probably not made in a huge assembly line like the other one, and has a bit of time spent on it making sure it's got a good feel because they used a bit better tonewood on it.