Well, I have a Blackheart Little Giant half-stack now and it's a nice little amp, but I want something with more gain available and with separate pre/post gain controls. My Little Giant is pretty good at Classic Rock, but I need something better for stoner/doom metal, sludge, noise rock, and older metal (think Judas Priest). My budget's about $400-$600 US. I already have a cab, so heads by themselves are also acceptable.

I was looking at a Peavey 6505+ 212 combo (the 1x12 one), but it kind of strikes me as a one trick pony. It seems good for a sort of generic metal tone (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it seems like it tends to be more cold and "modern" than I'd really want. What have you guys found with it? Is it as cold as it sounds from the videos I've watched? I'm kind of depending on you guys, since none of the music stores near me have 6505's available to try out.

Sort of on an entirely contradictory note, if it really is that cold, can I coax a bright, metallic, cutting tone like this out of it? This is a really weird tone, but it might be worth buying the 6505 if it can pull this sort of thing off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5kl_07Cg-Q

The only other thing I really need in an amp is its ability to handle fuzz pedals well, as they're pretty much essential to playing Stoner anything.

tl;dr: I want a relatively warm tube amp with separate pre/post gain control that has high gain and will play nicely with my fuzz pedal and/or can get a crazy bright, trebly noise rock tone like the one in the video above. Would the 6505 work, and if not, what might?

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention is that I'd like to take the amp to University with me, so it doesn't have to be 5 watts or anything, but it needs to be at least usable at lower volume. This was actually my biggest problem with my Little Giant.
Last edited by Notkcots at May 26, 2010,
Bugera 6262. Everything you'll find on the 6505+ except for the Peavey logo and a big price tag. The Peavey 112 combo isn't as good as its older siblings anyway. Also, the Bugera is made much more versatile by the fact that the clean channel actually cleans up which should make it easier for the amp take your fuzz pedal. Last thing - I find it a lot warmer than the Peavey but that may have something to do with the fact that a lot of my high gain tone involves boosting the mids instead of scooping them like pretty much everyone who buys a 6505+ does.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Bugera 6262.

The 6262 sounds like a nice amp, but I've heard that Bugera's are notoriously unreliable. Is this a valid concern? I've never met anyone who used one before, so I have no experience with them.

Also, I'm afraid I don't know too much about amps, so I'm just going to ask: is it alright to use a 120W head with a 1x12 16 Ohm cab (in this case a Black Heart BH112)? My Little Giant is only 5W, so I'm a little concerned with upping the wattage by 24 times without knowing if that will cause problems.
It was when they were first launched but they fixed it. The problem was that a wire had been attached to the input transformer with a plastic clip instead of being hardwired. The heat generated by the transformer was melting the clip and causing failures. It was a 5 minute fix for any decent tech and Bugera addressed the problem in their new amps well over a year ago. I've had one for almost 6 months now and it's held up beautifully.

EDIT: I MEANT BUY THE COMBO. Ohms aren't an issue - the amp is switchable between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. However, running 120 watts through any 12 inch guitar cab is probably going to blow something up. The Little Giant cab is listed as handling 75 watts which in my experience is an absolute maximum rather than a recommendation. I'd recommend that you either buy the combo (which will run you 650 new) or buy the head and a 212 or 412 cab used (which will run you probably about the same now that I think about it but I haven't looked into that.)
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Notkcots
The 6262 sounds like a nice amp, but I've heard that Bugera's are notoriously unreliable. Is this a valid concern? I've never met anyone who used one before, so I have no experience with them.

Bugera's are pretty good. I'd replace the tubes, but other than that... not bad at all.
GEAR
'92 Mesa Mark IV
Rivera Knucklehead II
Ibanez ART300
Washburn X50PROFE
Ibanez AEG20E
Martin DXK2