OK, I need some help counteracting the massive amount of bad karma I've accumulated over the past few years (that's what I get for hanging out in the pit...) and I've decided to help fix up a guitar that my little sister just got. It's a black Douglas Zeke and it's actually much better than I was expecting from a 100 dollar guitar. The only issue is that while it feels great it still has the same issues as any 100 dollar guitar. I'm not only talking pickups. The tuners are uneven and poorly lubricated, the toggle feels flimsy, certain cables won't go into the input jack properly, and the frets are buzzy as hell when playing open notes, which doesn't really make much sense. I know some of this can be easily fixed but I was wondering if there are any quick fixes I can do (other than replacing the input jack. I'm going to do that ASAP.) The truss rod seems fine, so is there a way to tell if it needs fret work? Finally, is there anything I can do about the tuners?

Thanks.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
wouldnt you be better off getting something used on craigslist? i got a pretty much brand new washburn for $100 a few weeks back and it plays like a dream. plays almost as good as a similar Jackson. you never know what youll find man.

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice you said she already bought it. in that case your gonna wanna post this in GB&C with some pics, I would think...
Last edited by bbetances at May 26, 2010,
in regards to the frets, i would indeed go and post some pics in the gb&c forum.
as for the tuners, you can buy new ones and fit them yourself. same with the switch and input jack. you can replace all of that pretty easily.
the fretbuzz might just be due to the string height or something. you can always take it to a music store and they can often check all that and set it up properly
Take an alen rench and lay it across 3 frets at a time and see if it rocks any, if it does the frets are unlevel. Also just play it and check for fret buzz on each fret. Also just throw some WD-40 in the tuners. The toggle feels flimsy but it is actually stronger than it feels, but ietherway just go to guitarfetish.com and buy a new toggle *wont cost you hardly anything*.

As the guy above me says you can replace all that faulty hardware cheap at guitarfetish too. They actually sell some quality hardware.
ok, are those the stock strings?

if so, you might want to swap them.

also, what strings are buzzing? what frets, what strings? we can try to get the guitar buzz free.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
ok, are those the stock strings?

if so, you might want to swap them.

also, what strings are buzzing? what frets, what strings? we can try to get the guitar buzz free.

That's mostly the plan. I'd swap the strings today but the only ones I have lying around are my personal stash of 10-52's and my sister is young enough that she'd benefit from a lighter gauge. Once I head out to GC I'll probably pick up a set of Elixir 9 or 10 for her.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
That's mostly the plan. I'd swap the strings today but the only ones I have lying around are my personal stash of 10-52's and my sister is young enough that she'd benefit from a lighter gauge. Once I head out to GC I'll probably pick up a set of Elixir 9 or 10 for her.

ok and it may already have 10s on it now, but know that when you go lighter, the neck relaxes a bit.

so post back so we can try to get rid of the buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
ok and it may already have 10s on it now, but know that when you go lighter, the neck relaxes a bit.

so post back so we can try to get rid of the buzzing.

I know what the 9's do to the neck. I also want to test out the frets first to check that they're level.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by FrustratedRocka
I know what the 9's do to the neck. I also want to test out the frets first to check that they're level.

ok because you mentioned that strings were buzzing and you were asking wht you could do to fix up this guitar.

anyway, if you need help setting up the guitar let me know.

if you've got that covered then very good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

My mother decided to buy me 2 guitars (acoustic and electric) so when I visit, I'll have something to play. (They live 1200 miles/1930 km away). They were slightly damaged and only $25 dollars each. Both would sell new at Kohls Dept. store for $200 each.

The electric (Spectrum Strat) had a simple wiring issue. Some soldering, new strings, and a setup and it plays surprisingly well. The neck is straight with a satin finish and the body is actually made from from one piece of real wood... go figure. I would compare it to a Squier Affinity series.

The acoustic (Spectrum dreadnought) had broken tuners and a ton of dings. I bought a set of All-Parts (Gotoh) tuners and new strings, a neck adjustment and its not too bad for a beater.

So... is it worth putting more money into a guitar than you spent for it? Hell yes.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at May 26, 2010,
Quote by FrustratedRocka
and the frets are buzzy as hell when playing open notes...

Sounds like a nut issue. Either try to fix the original one, get yourself a bone blank or pre slotted nut or have someone make it to you.

The nut slots are probably cut too deep and/or wide.
Quote by Tinderwet
Sounds like a nut issue. Either try to fix the original one, get yourself a bone blank or pre slotted nut or have someone make it to you.

The nut slots are probably cut too deep and/or wide.

Actually, turns out that was just the standard new-string jangle. I haven't changed mine in a while so it seemed particularly pronounced on this one. I have to say, now that the buzz is gone I'm extremely impressed with the build quality. My sister can have this guitar for a really long time if she does a full replacement of every electronic component. Thanks for the help everyone!
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal