So i play out of a Peavey 5150 Blockletter to a Mesa Straight-Slant cab loaded with vintage 30s and a LTD MH401NT with an EMG 85/89 running at 18v.

So far i like the sound of my rig but recently ive been wanting more of a fuller, livelier tone overall. Before i start looking at other amps i wanted to try switching out the pick-ups to give it an extra something to my sound.

I was thinking of going for a passive pickup because Lamb Of God and Alexi Laiho use them and i like the tone they get. i know that a majority of the tone comes from the amps they use but the pickups account for something right?

I mostly play metal but from time to times ill play other things. So anyone have any suggestions of pickups(both active and passive) that i should try out? also if you could mention a band that uses them so i can kind of get an idea of the tonal qualities. Thanks
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
If you check out websites of Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio etc they should have a who uses this with their pickups and probably some sound bites to go with it.
Inhuman evil take down!
have you 18V modded your emg's ?
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by Beffyyy
have you 18V modded your emg's ?

First Sentence

Try lowering the highs a bit from the 5150, that will probably get rid of the crystal clear distortion tone you get from them especially when using emg's. Otherwise no one's stopping you from trying out passive pick-ups, maybe try a friends' guitar?
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

speakers first then pickups.
If you want a fuller sound get rid of those v30s as fast as possible.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^I thought v30's were t3h sex for metal?
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
^I thought v30's were t3h sex for metal?

for live play maybe? there are different speakers if you want a different type of tone though.
V30s are alright for certain things.
Your amp is like some big percentage of your tone but speakers are a big part of your amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Try a BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal. It can do wonders for enhancing your tone and it is a lot easier than a pickup swap.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
A JB in the bring and 59 in the neck sounds good. Laiho uses a HZ with a signature gain boost, which you can buy if you want to use that. It's got a built in 3 band eq aswell.

Or maybe just try a blackout? Sounds as tho you mostly play metal, and actives tend to be the standard.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by AcousticMirror
speakers first then pickups.
If you want a fuller sound get rid of those v30s as fast as possible.

This^

And those actives you have really boost the treble, so try messing with your amp tone a lot.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
+1 on the v30. I myself am not a fan.

Try a friends guitar with a decent set of passive pickups and see how you like them.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
good suggestions. ive already tried a Blackout. dont really like them much. I already have a sonic maximizer but stopped using it because i wanted to minimize the amount of gear i bring to shows because its in a rack case but then im out my rack tuner and stuff so i might start using all that stuff again. and for speakers. My other guitarist is getting a Marshall 1960s cab and we were going to do the X pattern with 2 of our speakers. ive read somewhere that that is an idea way to set up speakers because they compliment each other really well.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's