After playing an old Martin Colletti archtop for a few years (with added artec humbucker) I've finally decided to get something a little more modern I have recently picked up a Dano 63' reissue.

I'd like to get an amp for a jangle kind of sound, think R.E.M, Big Star, Pylon etc.... My style is more finger picked chords that strumming or lead, I'm learning a few scales right now

Something that could do blue/jazz/surf and rockabily would be a plus. I don't need metal or anything like that at all.

For volume I want something that could be used on a low volume gig, think a jazz gig in restaurant or home practise with a band. It won't be competing against a double bass drum blast, but needs enough power to be heard over a kit or piano.

Something with a built in tremolo would be really cool too.

Budget is not huge, thinking £100 or so, so vintage/used would be an option. Essentially I want an amp with character that does nice cleans, and could for some stuff sound nice with a light over drive/tremolo..

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance...
Im thinking a Fender Tube amp, though I don't have any expertise on them

maybe a Deluxe Reverb (you're probably not gonna get one of these for that little)
or for a smaller/cheaper amp, the Blues Jr., Hot Rod Deluxe, or maybe a Champ

im just saying you are gonna have to do some searching for something used, at that budget you're gonna have you're gonna have a tough time finding anything decent

stay away from their Frontman series
Last edited by Sputnik1 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Sputnik1
Im thinking a Fender Tube amp, though I don't have any expertise on them

maybe a Deluxe Reverb

stay away from their Frontman series

+1 to the stay away from Frontmans but Deluxe Reverb? In the UK (obviously) for £100? Maybe if you used the £100 to buy a replica gun and a Balaclava.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
+1 to the stay away from Frontmans but Deluxe Reverb? In the UK (obviously) for £100? Maybe if you used the £100 to buy a replica gun and a Balaclava.

This.

Definately check out the Blues Jr. line, or other 5-watt Fender voiced tube amps.
I did have a "frontman" but I lost it at uni.

Right now I'm using a 10W fender squier SP 10. I switched the 6" speaker to a 8" celeston, and gave the amp a makeover (cream tolex & brown grill cloth) so it sounds and looks better, but it's just a practise amp.

I've also got an Orange 30R crush, which is nice but is a little lacking in character.

I've looked in the 5W amps, but I can't help but think for live application they are going to struggle. This isn't an amp to play massive gigs with or heavy music, but I want a little more versatility than a 5W perhaps.

If not the epihone 5W, bugera 5W and fender 5W are all on my list...
Here's something to look at I just grabbed off UK ebay.

Laney LC15
Laney LC30
Laney VC15

Not exactly Fender Jangle but around your price range and acceptable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 26, 2010,
Quote by monkey-strum
After playing an old Martin Colletti archtop for a few years (with added artec humbucker) I've finally decided to get something a little more modern I have recently picked up a Dano 63' reissue.

I'd like to get an amp for a jangle kind of sound, think R.E.M, Big Star, Pylon etc.... My style is more finger picked chords that strumming or lead, I'm learning a few scales right now

Something that could do blue/jazz/surf and rockabily would be a plus. I don't need metal or anything like that at all.

For volume I want something that could be used on a low volume gig, think a jazz gig in restaurant or home practise with a band. It won't be competing against a double bass drum blast, but needs enough power to be heard over a kit or piano.

Something with a built in tremolo would be really cool too.

Budget is not huge, thinking £100 or so, so vintage/used would be an option. Essentially I want an amp with character that does nice cleans, and could for some stuff sound nice with a light over drive/tremolo..

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance...

I'd definitely try the Fender Pro Junior if I were you. Doesn't have tremolo, but the tone won't let you down. Nice cleans and sweet overdrive.
i'd be looking for more british vox voiced amps then fender tbh because they're what 'jangle' tends to be associated with most.

those laneys recommended earlier would be perfect.
Quote by Cathbard

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

when you say jangle do you mean voxy? or fendery? (jangle to me means voxy, but obviously i don't have a monopoly on words)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

when you say jangle do you mean voxy? or fendery? (jangle to me means voxy, but obviously i don't have a monopoly on words)

I wonder if Hendrix saw a hippy girl with a load of metallic jewellery, jangling as she walks, forming the inspiration for Voxy Lady.
I really like my fender HRD, especially with the "bright" switch on for the jangly stuff.... ie: Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, the typical "Arizona" sound. Especially paired with my amer. strat