I'm listening to some of my old favorite stuff and I'm really curious how the guitarist made this special sound that I can only describe as "bubbly". Once you hear it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

A prime example can be heard in the song M.I.A. by avenged sevenfold. I know you all hate that band, but that's the best example I can find.

Listen here at exactly 4:56 and then there's a really good one at 4:59.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SWV5FsCd8

Also, if you know any other songs that have this effect, throw em up.
Last edited by MrCool0760 at May 26, 2010,
Quote by whitenihilist
Active pickups on a good high gain tube amp, careful EQing and gain settings, and probably neck pickups is my guess. The rest is technique.

Can you describe anything about the technique? It's weird cause it almost sounds like its got a hint of sloppiness, but I'm pretty sure he does that on purpose.
Sounds like tapping to me
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
But I'm pretty sure it's just technique. the one at 4:59 is a bit of an arpeggio in major 2nd harmonic intervals. and the one before is due to the quick slides, If you can play it fast enough it should sound the same, just have to toggle the OD a bit. If you play sweeps with slides in the middle it does the same.
Quote by PurpleBear102
But I'm pretty sure it's just technique. the one at 4:59 is a bit of an arpeggio in major 2nd harmonic intervals. and the one before is due to the quick slides, If you can play it fast enough it should sound the same, just have to toggle the OD a bit. If you play sweeps with slides in the middle it does the same.

This is what I was going to say, the "sloppiness" you hear is the slides.
Quote by shwilly
Would you describe this as "bubbly" as well?

(3:10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbyzZz-gfwo

Ya, a little bit. I think the tone on the guitar is quite different here but it still kind of has that sound.

@ the other response, thanks. There are some slides in there so maybe that's helping it to sound that way.
Quote by whitenihilist
Active pickups on a good high gain tube amp, careful EQing and gain settings, and probably neck pickups is my guess. The rest is technique.

if you want an a7x tone, its not active pups, they use passive
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
if you want an a7x tone, its not active pups, they use passive

I don't know much about the gear they use, I just assumed that they used that. The rest still stands though.
To get that tone you'll need a lot of treble in your EQ-settings. Make sure you're slightly muting the strings, because if they keep ringing too much it'll de-emphasize (is that even a word?) your pick attack, making it sound less spectacular if you know what I mean. Also, make sure you're using a gritty but very clear distortion. If your amp doesn't cut it, maybe a pedal will (unless it can't produce high gain sounds without getting muddy)

To add an extra "whip" you could try not to use alternate picking exclusively: pick the strings every time you're ascending (no hammer-ons, or you'll be playing legato) but when you're DESCENDING just do pulloffs if the oportunity shows up. It's kinda like a "reverse" Holdsworth (who uses alternate picking + hammer-ons exclusively)

It's just a lil' neat tone tip tho -> the solo you mentioned sounds like it's all picking...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 26, 2010,