Anybody have experience with them? The thing is, I know the Small Clone is analog and true bypass, but my only concern is volume drop and it doesn't have a dry/wet mix knob. The Electric Mistress is not true bypass and I've heard there is a volume drop. I like the flanging, but very light. Will the Small Clone on a low rate give some flanging sounds? Thanks!
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
The Small Clone wont give you flanging tones, its a phaser. Phasers double the signal and put it out of phase with the original, a flanger uses delay to create comb filtering by slightly delaying the signal and adding it back to the original. Basically, flangers have evenly spaced notches that are swept (same gap between each frequency being cancelled out), phasers have uneven notches (different gap between each frequency being cancelled out)
They sound similar, but are still different enough that you can tell one from the other.
Last edited by littlephil at May 27, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
The Small Clone wont give you flanging tones, its a phaser. Phasers double the signal and put it out of phase with the original, a flanger uses delay to create comb filtering by slightly delaying the signal and adding it back to the original. Basically, flangers have evenly spaced notches that are swept (same gap between each frequency being cancelled out), phasers have uneven notches (different gap between each frequency being cancelled out)
They sound similar, but are still different enough that you can tell one from the other.

the Small Stone is the phaser.
Yeah, and we learned something the other day. The small clone uses a -9v voltage rail so even though the polarity is right at the plug, if you use it on a common power supply with other pedals it will drag the +ve supply to ground and power down all your pedals. It needs its own power supply, that would discourage me from getting one. But am I to recommend a different chorus or do you want a flanger?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Er...
Small Clone - Chorus,
Stereo Electric Mistress - Flanger/ Chorus
Deluxe Electric Mistress - Flanger
Small Stone - Phaser

What are you looking for TS?

EDIT: If its just flanger you want then have a look at the Deluxe Electric Mistress or the 4 knob MXR.
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at May 27, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, and we learned something the other day. The small clone uses a -9v voltage rail so even though the polarity is right at the plug, if you use it on a common power supply with other pedals it will drag the +ve supply to ground and power down all your pedals. It needs its own power supply, that would discourage me from getting one. But am I to recommend a different chorus or do you want a flanger?

Wat? Never had problems with that when I had my Small Clone.
Ah, sorry, my mistake, it's the nano clone (and the EH Muff Overdrive) that has the -ve power rail issue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ive heard the mistress sucks.

Not tried it.

But i love my clone. Very lush sound.

I changed the depth switch in mine to a pot. So on minimal settings you can get it pretty subtle.

Only down side is its a 1/8" power jack, you can pick up an adapter pretty easy though.
Quote by Mack56
the Small Stone is the phaser.

Whoops, my bad.
Well, a chorus is even further from a flanger than a phaser would be!
Haha sorry guys I'm looking for mostly chorus it's just that I read somewhere that chorus and flanger are the same effect almost. I've also heard more bad things about the stereo electric mistress (and even the deluxe reissue) than the Small Clone. I'm pretty sure I'll go with that. My biggest concern was really volume drop.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
It is true that you can make a flanger sound very much like a chorus (I did it that way for years) but if you want chorus get chorus, you get more variations in chorus from an actual chorus.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification