What are you going to use them for genre-wise?

100 Watts is pretty loud, do you gig/practice with a band?
The VK with a new speaker and better valves next time you change them and you've got a nice solid valve amp that you can experiment with different valves in, mod, w/e. The Valvetronix will always be what it is, a modelling amp, not a bad modelling amp but still ..........
What do you want? I'd get the VK if those were the only choices I had but that's me. I wouldn't buy either of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Both are so-so. I'd rather have the Vox because it's more versatile and sounds better than a Valveking to my ears. The VK is better once you hook it up to a nice cab or replace the stock speaker... but that's another 100 bucks.

For most situations, there are better amps than either.
IMO, the VK has been a hell of a ride for me. Initially in love with the amp, but soon unsatisfied with its sound, I was finally happy when I realized how much better I was able to make it sound by investing alot of time in playing with the eq, buying an additional eq, experimenting with pedal placement and getting new tubes. I love how this amp sounds when it gets loud.

I can't say much about the Vox because I haven't played it (but I have seen reviews). I think that you will be happy regardless of which amp you choose, as long as you understand how to use it. Make sure that if you get the Vox, you get someone with sturdy forearms to carry it, because it is hella heavy
Last edited by StudiousMonkey at May 26, 2010,
As a VK user, I can say that it's definitely an amp that needs some upgrades. In a way, it's sort of an amp that grows along with the player. In order to get the best tone, it needs a different speaker, an EQ pedal, and new tubes, so it's somewhat similar to a guitarist who keeps practicing and practicing, getting better and better, learning new material etc.

Of course, not everyone is interested in investing more than what the amp costs at face value into it to get the best tone, but...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
VK > AD100VT, for this.
If it was a new VT, maybe that... depending on what you play.

I agree that a modded VK is better than a stock VK, having been an avid VK user before having to sell it...

Solution: Buy a VK with an upgraded speaker already installed!

OD and EQ pedals are strictly for the Valveking, although they do help substantially for certain applications... you can use these pedals with other amps, and are a worthy investment.

*directed at dylan*
Although honestly, doesn't the Mesa/JCM mod eliminate the need for OD's?
Last edited by dudey5691 at May 26, 2010,
Nope. The Mesa and JCM mods both reduce the gain of the OD channel in exchange for voicing changes... the JCM mod takes out a gain stage, and the Mesa mod makes the bias colder, giving the amp a tighter, more defined sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??