I'm thinking of buying a OD pedal,an MXR GT OD...
So my question is will this OD pedal work good as a drive boost for my amps drive?

I'm a metal guitarist but i'm not really a fan of in your face high ultra super gain distortion...
I've never had a chance to listen to the combination of pedals drive and the amps drive,and i don't wanna make a mistake and buy the pedal and get a bunch of noise....

Sorry for my bad english
I'm thinking of connecting the pedal in front of an overdriven amp...
I'm not really experienced with this so i'm affraid that i don't get just a bunch of noise
It should be fine, just have the drive turned right down and the volume/level right up.

The GT-OD is also meant to be very good as a pedal on it's own, gives nice Marshally sounds.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

So it should work nicely in that combination ?
I've seen a lot of "metal" guitar players use OD pedals,and i like the way it sounds
Quote by samarzijadado
So it should work nicely in that combination ?
I've seen a lot of "metal" guitar players use OD pedals,and i like the way it sounds

They normally use the amps gain, and have the gain on the OD set to 0, and the level maxed. This apparently tightens up the sound.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I recently had a chance to hear the drive of an Randall RX amp,and i fell in love with it
So im thinking just to boost the amp into a more "metal" sound.
Fulltone OCD and Fulldrive 2. Also the Ibanez Tube Screamer.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
What about Maxon ?
I dont like the plastic housing of the Ibanez Tube Screamer,but this MXR pedal looks bullet proof
Quote by samarzijadado
I recently had a chance to hear the drive of an Randall RX amp,and i fell in love with it
So im thinking just to boost the amp into a more "metal" sound.

Randall RX solid state?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Yes,it's probably the best solid state amp i've heard...
My friend has a RX120 reverb half stack and it sounds awesome
Quote by denied
Overdriving a solid state amp is not going to sound anything like driving tubes.
It's fine to use an OD over a solid state clean channel (as long as it's not modelling), but if your planning on boosting a drive channel, I would reconsider this plan..

Why ?
You should really read the stickies before posting, It's great information and saves a lot of confusion.

But the short answer is that solid state amps do not clip smoothly like tube amps. You drive them to a certain point, and they flat-line which results in a pretty unpleasant sound. Tubes on the other hand, breakup smoothly when driven past their RMS rating.

try raising the volume of a solid state amp until it clips, you'll see (hear) what I mean