right i have an ESP LTD EX250, it did have passive pickups in it and im intending to install some EMG actives in it.

question is do i have to route out a seperate hole in the body to house the 9v or can i just keep it in the back where all the other wires/pots are????

this is the first time i have ever tried to install new pups so i have no idea how it could effect the tone.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
if it fits in the electronics cavity then it can go in there simple as that just make sure to wrap some tape or something around the battery terminals in case they short out on the pots if its a tight fit
You might not have to but consider how hard it would be to change the battery if it goes flat. Imagine on a strat if it was under the pickguard - you would have to remove strings, undo 11 screws and then change the battery, then redo the 11 screws and restring. Not easy if it goes in the middle of a gig, although it might not be as drastic as this in your case. Something like this screwed on the back of your guitar would make changing batteries quick and easy when they go, and its hardly going to dent your bank balance. A small hole for the box would be required, as well as a hole for the wires to get to the electronics cavity.

So its up to you, as long as there is room in the cavity then no extra routing will be required, but the battery would need sufficient shielding to ensure it wont get accidentally grounded or something as tobuei said, and changing batteries wouldnt be as easy, especially in a rush. On the other hand, a small amount of routing work would mean that changing batteries is a lot easier. Also, being in its own cavity means there is 0% chance of anything being accidentally grounded or something. And if you're putting in all the work to change pickups, why not just do a little more work and make your life in the future a bit easier?
ok good point, thanks for the advise, ill have a wander down to maplin the weekend and grab one =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band