I am looking at the Blackstar HT-5 Combo and like the youtube videos, reviews etc. However, I was wondering what other amps, new or used, that are in the same price range as the combo that I should consider.

I am looking for a classic rock to light metal amp that has useable cleans. So an amp that leans on the heavier side, but isn't a brutlz metal amp. Also I use a ME-50 multi-effects.

The Tiny Terror seems to be a one trick poney and a bit pricey, and the night train isn't what I am looking for. They are the obviuos comparisons.

On the Blackstar, a lot of people say the 10" speaker in the combo is so-so, and a lot better sound can be achieved through head + 12" box or getting the stack etc. The combo is pushing my budget, but I can save up for a head+speaker if it is worth it.
Last edited by Effecient at May 26, 2010,
How about the Blackheart Handsome Devil?
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
I own a Blackstar HT-5 Ministack and it is really nice. If you're thinking about getting the combo, I would. It can do pretty much everything, except the extreme super distortion stuff, but yoiu're not after that, anyway.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by finetune
How about the Blackheart Handsome Devil?

Yer defiantly, have never seen one in Australia though.

I should also mention this is just a bedroom amp, hence needs to sound good low and why I like the blackstar @ 5W.
Quote by Gradyogle
I own a Blackstar HT-5 Ministack and it is really nice. If you're thinking about getting the combo, I would. It can do pretty much everything, except the extreme super distortion stuff, but yoiu're not after that, anyway.

Is the stack worth the extra $$? Where I am here I can get the head and a nice 12" speaker cab for that.
5w is still gonna be loud man. If it don't have a master volume then it will be very hard to get any kinda drive. Luckily the blackstar does have one, but most other 5 watters don't.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Well there's also the Little Giant, but I suppose you won't find that nearby either.

Fender SuperchampXD (15w) or Vibrochamp (5w)

Laney VC15 isn't far off the HT5 price, but is 15w.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Quote by JoePerry4life
5w is still gonna be loud man. If it don't have a master volume then it will be very hard to get any kinda drive. Luckily the blackstar does have one, but most other 5 watters don't.

Sorry what do you mean by this, if it doesn't have a master volume? Or do you mean an attenuator?

I appreciate it I wont be playing it above 5 much but the blackstar is designed to be an bedroom/studio amp, and apparently is decent sounding at bedroom level, that is why I am looking at it. Just what I have read though...
Well found a Blackheart Little Giant 5w combo at the same price as the Blackstar HT-5 Combo where I live. That makes things interesting.
Last edited by Effecient at May 26, 2010,
Quote by Effecient
Well found a Blackheart Little Giant 5w combo at the same price as the Blackstar HT-5 Combo where I live. That makes things interesting.

Little Giant doesn't have a master volume. In other words, there is no gain knob on the amp and you gotta blow your windows out to get distortion out of it... If you're going to play it at home and want something else than clean sounds also, then I would not recommend the Little Giant.

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Guitarist/Issue%20310/blackheart/blackheart-littlegiant2-460-80.jpg
Quote by finetune
Well there's also the Little Giant, but I suppose you won't find that nearby either.

Fender SuperchampXD (15w) or Vibrochamp (5w)

Laney VC15 isn't far off the HT5 price, but is 15w.

+1.

Have you thought of any Peavey yet?
It is true that cranking the LG will be really loud, but it does have a 3w switch. Also, you can use pedals when others may be bothered by the volume.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
Quote by Effecient
Is the stack worth the extra $$? Where I am here I can get the head and a nice 12" speaker cab for that.

I think it's worth it, because of the cool factor. But I didn't have a budget, so it's really up to you.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
jet city
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
lulz i thought you were going to recommend that reason bambino
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zanman777
+1.

Have you thought of any Peavey yet?

Just reading about the Laney, not many people are raving about it. Seems very similiar to the Blackstar combo but more a clean amp.

In the Peavey's, the valve king 112 sounds to loud for a bedroom amp but the Windsor combo looks ok. Again, not many raving reviews on it like there are for the Blackstar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
lulz i thought you were going to recommend that reason bambino

it doesn't solve everything. schmitty.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?